ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
nutcracker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Royal surcharge. who makes decision and how? *embarrassing*

Post by nutcracker »

Surcharges are real bugbear of mine.

I appreciate there are genuine fraudsters to be dealt with but there needs to be more nuance. A significant amount are genuine mistakes and even more are caused via crappy RM or post office procedures.

As the op demonstrates surcharges really contribute to pissing off customers (senders) and potential customers (receivers) on a grand scale…”messed me up with a letter for 20p well from now on I’ll send all my £10 parcels with Dpd instead”
Beanyjazz wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 08:35
'Look at me Mummy, I made £25, and it only cost me 1 knee'. Get a life.

snailmailsdead

Post by snailmailsdead »

Surcharges are a another contributing factor to senders using the better providers but the root cause is poor service, poor resolution, and lack of accountability.

300G RM48 large letter which may get delivery confirmation, but more likely the deliverer won't bother works out at about 2.30, and you're self insuring at that, or, for coppers more with decent volumes you can get 25 quid insurance, fully tracked, delivery confirmation, and I would argue faster and more accurate (not that it matters with the insurance) with Evri or Yodel.

If you are mug enough to pay 2.30,take the risk of loss and damage yourself, you then play the lottery if poor handling has altered your packaging so it trips the Tops machine and you then have the joy of wasting 20 or 30 quid in labour establishing what the error was and trying to get it corrected, or paying however much the fine is.

Whatever way you cut it, it is generally an easier decision to use the better providers than risk using Royal Mail where every issue you encounter, and there are lots require you to throw time at endless weblinks, email addresses, or hold music.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

The basic RM48 doesn't include confirmation of delivery
adb2aber
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by adb2aber »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 20:00
The basic RM48 doesn't include confirmation of delivery
Yes it does. Everything with a data matrix provides POD which is why everything should be scanned on delivery.
snailmailsdead wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 15:38
300G RM48 large letter which may get delivery confirmation, but more likely the deliverer won't bother works out at about 2.30, and you're self insuring at that
Nope. With POP and POV you can claim back £20+postage. Anything valued more than that send it Tracked24/48.
snailmailsdead

Post by snailmailsdead »

Insurance is not included on RM48, only BPL 1st and 2nd. Your marketing material for RM48 and RM24 states ''delivery confirmation'' yet when you query why there are so many missing confirmations you are told it isn't guaranteed - Posters on here have also said it is optional, not enforced, some do it, some don't.

If its worth over 20quid send it tracked 48? which I think is 3 quid odd for a kilo packet, lets say £1 more per piece than your competitors.If one gets lost you then get to navigate the Royal Mail compo maze, where eventually if you submit enough invoices you get to recoup your materials cost price and postage, which will be significantly less than the cost of the time involved to claim. Your competitors pay out at retail value, process takes about 2 minutes, and claim settled in 7 days generally.

I'm sure there are some customers who lap up the RM messaging, but for me, and many like me you aren't an easy decision to use. As this crunch continues and personal spending declines it will be interesting to see how that corresponds to volumes and where those volumes ultimately get placed. One thing I do know is that every time there is a volume decline there will be short term price deflation to recapture it, and that is in stark contrast to your own insane pricing policy over the last 24 months.

No idea what POP or POV is I'm afraid.