ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

GLS delivering Royal Mail packages to Portugal

Before you register and ask for help or you are looking for information on your item being in HWDC Langley then please see...HERE
If you are looking for information on your mail or have a complaint or general query,we 1st suggest you contact Royal Mail,see the link above.This is an open forum.

Forum rules
Before you register and ask for help or you are looking for information on your item being in HWDC Langley then please see...HERE
If you are looking for information on your mail or have a complaint or general query,we 1st suggest you contact Royal Mail,see the link above.This is an open forum.
Real_Saturn

GLS delivering Royal Mail packages to Portugal

Post by Real_Saturn »

Hi everyone. I know this is not the proper place for introductions but this is my first post in this forum.

I've been ordering many items from UK-based websites including ebay.co.uk for the last 10 years. I do have some problems every now and then, but I usually get over them.

I recently noticed that my latest packages were taking quite a bit to arrive. It is unusual for a package to take more than 10 days to arrive but the last few things that were sent to me by royal mail took even longer than that. I even had one package go missing and I paid £80 for it... It was sent to me in March and never arrived. I started to wander what was happening. One of the packages was late and was sent with a tracking code. I eventually received the package with the contents inside damaged but I was wandering what was going wrong because the tracking code was not working in the CTT website (portuguese post services), although the Royal Mail website would display the date the package was posted and passed to Portugal.

Another package sent a couple of weeks later was not arriving as well and the same thing happened: the tracking code was not working. I contacted CTT by e-mail complaining again on how bad their service was etc but I was surprised to receive a prompt reply saying that they were not responsible for handling certain packages from the UK. They also gave me the address of this GLS courier or whatever they are. On that same day I received the package at home but it wasn't delivered by the CTT or GLS. It was delivered by someone living in the same street who actually got the package by mistake. The package was signed for and had a tracking code. I realized GLS just asked for a signature without even caring if they were delivering the package to the right person/address... I'm not friends with that neighbour but at least I had the package with me. I immediately checked the tracking code in the GLS website. So, basically it took 7 days since the package was posted by royal mail to reach GLS ain the UK, 5 days until the package arrived in SPAIN and 3 more days to arrive in Portugal before they finally decided to deliver it to the wrong address. What the hell?? I tried to contact GLS by their phone number and they just don't reply. The call disconnects just a few seconds after it's left on hold... They don't have an e-mail contact (at least I couldn't find one...) so I had to to fill that sort of online form in their website but after one week I still haven't received a response. Meanwhile I also contacted the company responsible for regulating postal services in Portugal and I was told there was no information about GLS operating in Portugal

I guess that ordering stuff from the UK will be a nightmare from now on... Not too long ago CTT used to deliver all the royal mail packages. I don't like CTT that much because I've had problems with them in the past but usually they work fine. Since GLS started to deliver the packages I started to realize how good CTT actually is! I've only had four packages that I know were delivered through GLS in the last couple of months (I'm not sure about the other UK packages) and only one arrived fine on time out of a total of 4. As for the other 3, one came broken, one never arrived (a replacement was sent one week ago but it didn't arrive yet) and the last one was delivered to the wrong house. What totally upsets me is the fact that they just hang up the phone and never bother to reply. I'm taking this to the authorities. I was already told by the "postal services authority" (I'm not sure how to call that in English) that they are not legally operating in Portugal but I'm not too sure of that.

Sorry, just wanted to share the story with you and hopefully hear some opinions about this. I'm sure other portuguese people will eventually find this forum and learn about other occurrences with GLS. I've had my hand of problems in the past but I haven't received such a bad service in a long time now.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: GLS delivering Royal Mail packages to Portugal

Post by POSTMAN »

Hi ya,we seem to be getting a lot of complaints about CTT,GLS and stuff from and to Portugal being delayed,although the stuff coming in to us is delayed at our Mail Centre due to our rigorous customs which is to be expected in the present climate

The internet boom is here,but seems most postal companies/couriers are not with it,that includes us.
VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.
Real_Saturn

Post by Real_Saturn »

Another package being sent by GLS... It was posted early last week but it only arrived at GLS warehouse TODAY! It could be here already or at least it could arrive in the next couple of days but it's still in the UK!

Now I can only rely on Amazon to receive packages since they use MRW. GLS is BY FAR the worst courier I've ever dealt with. Someone must change this.
davidmac

Post by davidmac »

As with our poster I have or am having real problems with GLS - CTT were great! Now when an item is sent International Signed For it ends up with GLS. I have decided that their modus operandi is to tell lies on the tracking website until - if you even know they have your item - you phone for an arranged time for delivery. This is either due to short staff and lack of proper coverage of Portugal. The rubbish posted on the computer is for the benefit of the Royal Mail who then trot out the garbage lies on their tracking site. Poor punter - shafted again - Royal Mail prefer customer inconvenience in using GLS - a completely out of control subsidiary to CTT who are covered properly by the laws of Portugal. CTT are brilliant and in seven years never caused me a moment of pain. It is absolutely appalling!
I should say I am in Portugal
ori

Post by ori »

davidmac wrote:As with our poster I have or am having real problems with GLS - CTT were great! Now when an item is sent International Signed For it ends up with GLS. I have decided that their modus operandi is to tell lies on the tracking website until - if you even know they have your item - you phone for an arranged time for delivery. This is either due to short staff and lack of proper coverage of Portugal. The rubbish posted on the computer is for the benefit of the Royal Mail who then trot out the garbage lies on their tracking site. Poor punter - shafted again - Royal Mail prefer customer inconvenience in using GLS - a completely out of control subsidiary to CTT who are covered properly by the laws of Portugal. CTT are brilliant and in seven years never caused me a moment of pain. It is absolutely appalling!
I should say I am in Portugal
i agree with you, CTT it's better carrier, I have used over the years without problems. last week i bought two item in ebay (same day dispatch), and the one sent by normal mail (CTT) was delivered to me today, the other (signed four - airmal) by GLS (royal mail group...) don´t leave UK yet!!! Royal Mail has to check this, they charge a lot of money for the service, and they cant push the responsibility to others.
davidmac

Post by davidmac »

Well well....just to demonstrate...after saying address incorrect (lie!) finally after one hour call agreed delivery today.Driver lost, had to meet in cafe 5 kms away...driver said the CTT knew the adresses but they GLS - do not.....an absolute shower - no more economic activity from me on ebay from now...sad
ori

Post by ori »

i'm still waiting... last track&trace information the package has not leave UK yet! and has been sent by air mail? It must be a very, very old plain... it refuses to take flight.

For me signed four airmail never again, all of my orders by CTT sent after this has been delivery.
Real_Saturn

Post by Real_Saturn »

I have another package stuck in their warehouse. It was posted before May 10th. Check the current status:

23/05/2012 04:14 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
22/05/2012 10:29 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
22/05/2012 04:06 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
21/05/2012 10:49 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
21/05/2012 04:48 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
18/05/2012 11:41 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
18/05/2012 11:41 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
18/05/2012 10:35 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
18/05/2012 04:22 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
17/05/2012 11:46 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 8.0 Stored
17/05/2012 07:55 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
17/05/2012 07:55 PT0100 Venda do Pinheiro, Portugal 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
16/05/2012 11:37 ES0028 , Spain 1.0 Outbound from GLS location
16/05/2012 11:36 ES0028 , Spain 2.0 Inbound to GLS location
14/05/2012 10:05 GBRM02 , United Kingdom 0.0 Inbound to GLS location

This is unacceptable! I've contacted Royal Mail about this and I am still waiting for a response. I don't recommend anyone buying items from the UK while this company is responsible for delivering the packages. There are several complaints in Portuguese forums concerning GLS, from major delays with delivery times to packages lost and tracking codes not working. I'm quite disappointed, I used to order many items for my collections from the UK and now I never know what's going to happen. Someone must do something about this.
ori

Post by ori »

POSTMAN wrote:Hi ya,we seem to be getting a lot of complaints about CTT,GLS and stuff from and to Portugal being delayed,although the stuff coming in to us is delayed at our Mail Centre due to our rigorous customs which is to be expected in the present climate

The internet boom is here,but seems most postal companies/couriers are not with it,that includes us.
I´m sorry but you can´t put CTT in GLS level, beside some delay´s (2/3 days max) I have used CTT over the years without any problem . My first order from GLS, refuse to leave UK :) . If i paid for airmail they can´t send by surface, this is not rigth. I have contact with Royal Mail costumer service and they don´t care refuse to do anything.
adb2aber
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by adb2aber »

Does anyone know how the GLS tracking system actually works? I ask because when we post International Signed For / Airsure we use a 13 character tracking code, whereas GLS use an 11 character one. Is there any way to convert between the two? (yes, I have a parcel in the hands of GLS right now, I dread to think how long it'll take)
Real_Saturn

Post by Real_Saturn »

adb2aber wrote:Does anyone know how the GLS tracking system actually works? I ask because when we post International Signed For / Airsure we use a 13 character tracking code, whereas GLS use an 11 character one. Is there any way to convert between the two? (yes, I have a parcel in the hands of GLS right now, I dread to think how long it'll take)
If you search for the 13-character code in their website using their Track & Trace, the 11 character code you mention shows up in the details when the search results are displayed.
Miotech

Post by Miotech »

Hi people i am from bulgaria and before 4-5weeks bulgarian postal service was replaced from royal mail with company which dont exist in bulgaria its called GLS,they have a parthner interlogistica which sucks,he dont even go to my home he is 100away from me and, everytime write on tracking that item is not delivered,declined wrong adress or something stupid ,they also stole,hugh valued package from uk it was about 600gbp ,so i am really sad,seller sended item with royal mail,they are not responsible since they passed item to gls and gls passed item to their parthner in bulgaria so the whole story is stupid...
Can we make strike or apeeal or something so the normal postal service are back again? In my country bulgarian post offices have offices everywhere and i never have a problem.....
I also made a claim on paypal and i made appeal three times that i dont have my money and i dont have my package,paypal decided three times case in seller favour because he had proof of postage in other stupid gls dont provide tracking more than 10days and paypal ripped me off and seller too , he have insurance and he will gain double :(((( also i cant do since we dont have visa parthner in bulgaria and my bank told me that i probably wont won chargeback ;(((( sad story i want postal service back and i hate GLS more than 8 weeks i dont have my item and seller have my money and he dont have item too:(
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Sorry Miotech,nothing can be done,unless you and others start a campaign over there.
And for the record,Royal Mail own GLS.
VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.
davidmac

Post by davidmac »

So - the poor Hungarians have to suffer like us in Portugal because Royal Mail can not or will not operate their GLS subsidiary properly.
So - the poor punter loses out with shoddy service non delivery - and more importantly upset.
In Portugal CTT delivering from the UK were faultless - now I will not be doing business using ISF again until GLS radically improve. Maybe Airsure keeps the parcel in the hands of CTT??? If not then maybe best Royal Mail Small Packets but that is uninsured............
Idrilain

Post by Idrilain »

Hi!

I actually work for the CTT and we've been getting a lot of problems because of this stuation, since most people don't know that only regular mail coming from the UK is being delievered by us. Anything you have to sign for is with GLS and they are a nightmare. I'm not saying that CTT are perfect, we've got a lot of problems and the admnistration we have now sucks, because all they care about is profits, but we try, and as a whole we didn't have that many complaints.

Since GLS showed up it's been a mess, and I'm saying this as a buyer that unfortunately had to use GLS too. The sender sent me the package on May 5th, it finally showed up in the UK warehouse on the 11th, and it went to Spain on the 14th. What, no direct flights to Portugal? Hello, 21st century?! Basically, something that with us took about 5 to 7 week days at most took 17 with GLS!
Last edited by Idrilain on 13 Jun 2012, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.