ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Damaged mail might make me STOP using the local PO .

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
ROCKY

Post by ROCKY »

quick question have your tubes got the plastic end caps on them is so try removing these caps sealing the ends with tape instead,some posties if their boss wont sign them out on to a van do remove these caps and ram them through the box to save having to carry them for the rest of the day

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

work = pay wrote: I think I will but mu local post worker guy doesn't fill out all the info for me because he doesn't have the time... (I get to leave the parcels with him then pay a day behind so it works great for me as I dont have to wait about for AGES)... so I think he might get in trouble because I can't prove any of the postage if they ask about it. I love the guy and we have a good set up so I dont want him to get into trouble. I'd much rather stay with him and keep the business in my village but it just doesn't look viable any more. It's a real shame.

You should always get proof of postage that's the num 1 rule,regardless of how long the que is an other stuff!

Also it's a sad fact but 'Do not bend' and 'Fragile' means nothing for parts of our system,only the Posties delivering it will take any notice,if your lucky.
Imagine handling thousands of parcels/packets every day,it'sjust not feasible.

Also you haven't mentioned compensation i don't think so far,or is that summin to do with the proof of postage thing?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
somerset

Re: Damaged mail might make me STOP using the local PO .

Post by somerset »

work = pay wrote:I send about 100 - 150 items a week through my local PO which is tiny. The guy there, Andrew says my business plays a HUGE part in the daily takings which makes him very happy I use him.
I love the guy and I'm all for keeping the local PO open.... but....
My parcels are getting more and more damaged in the mail to the point, Im thinking I might have to start using a courier because I cant keep on top of all the replacements I have to send out because ebay isnt set up like that, once something is dispatched it's off you list etc
I was wondering, would it be worth putting FRAGILE stickers on? I can't see it would be as it seems obvious to me that if you're delivering a postal tube, it shouldn't be bent or crushed but that happens anyway.
Please please please give me a suggestion about how to avoid so much damaged mail and please dont say insurance as I have to be competitive and my customers never choose that option.
I dont want to have to start using a courier and I dont want to pay over the odds.
So is there anything that gets a parcel some respect or they all just bundled together and I have to hope for the best?
thanks for you time.
You'll be helping me and my local PO.
Fiona.
Look Fiona if you don't like the way your tubes are being damaged by us posties,try TNT or DHL or the others who want are work. Then see what happens? Your local PO won't mind as he is probably on the hit list of closure anyway? Along with the the other 4,500.The ones i have seen take compensation and converted into flats have made a nice tidy profit.
work = pay

Post by work = pay »

brisomerset wrote: Look Fiona if you don't like the way your tubes are being damaged by us posties,try TNT or DHL or the others who want are work. Then see what happens? Your local PO won't mind as he is probably on the hit list of closure anyway? Along with the the other 4,500.The ones i have seen take compensation and converted into flats have made a nice tidy profit.
Well that seems a bit rash and you not knowing the guy at my Post Office surely don't know that he has done that job all his life and he loves it, you cant just yank someone's livelihood away from them and expect them to dive into a new career so late on in life! Your attitude stinks if you're telling me to take my business elsewhere - Im trying to find a remedy to the situation, work out whether its worth waiting the problems out. You're very defensive saying "look fiona" and "us posties", if I thought you were all inept twirps I wouldnt be on this forum looking for advice! :so there
The more people I talk to the more I see it's a hit or miss to get someone who cares about customer service! Sad really.
BELIAL

Post by BELIAL »

work = pay wrote:
brisomerset wrote: Look Fiona if you don't like the way your tubes are being damaged by us posties,try TNT or DHL or the others who want are work. Then see what happens? Your local PO won't mind as he is probably on the hit list of closure anyway? Along with the the other 4,500.The ones i have seen take compensation and converted into flats have made a nice tidy profit.
Well that seems a bit rash and you not knowing the guy at my Post Office surely don't know that he has done that job all his life and he loves it, you cant just yank someone's livelihood away from them and expect them to dive into a new career so late on in life! Your attitude stinks if you're telling me to take my business elsewhere - Im trying to find a remedy to the situation, work out whether its worth waiting the problems out. You're very defensive saying "look fiona" and "us posties", if I thought you were all inept twirps I wouldnt be on this forum looking for advice! :so there
The more people I talk to the more I see it's a hit or miss to get someone who cares about customer service! Sad really.
Apologies Fiona ,i can,t speak for anyone else but I began this job with a conviction that i would carry it out to the best of my abillity, for my own sense of self worth as well as the customers satisfaction. I'm afraid that even in my relatively limited time at RM i have been forced to compromise on these standards by management initiatives, bullying etc. RM pays lip service to Quality and customer care, But in reality cuts staff and hours whilst volumes of mail increase. All delivery postmen have problems providing the service you rightly expect under the current cost cutting and bullying regime
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Damaged packets

Post by baldrick »

Your items would certainly not be damaged at your local PO Counter.
It could be when they are loaded on a van with other heavy items put on top.
Or in the Mail Centre where they are sorted - and there are lots of casual/agency staff
who have little or no training and don't care.
I suggest you ring Royal Mail Customer Services and make a complaint. They should
be able to work out where the problem is occurring, and hopefully be able to take steps
to sort it out.
Hope it works out OK.
vigilante

Post by vigilante »

work = pay wrote:
brisomerset wrote: I presume the items you sending in a tube our posters? So what is stopping the receiver from getting it in good condition then removing item then stamping all over empty tube, and taking a photo of tube(that is a really sad life that person must live!) I think you are being conned.
The thing stopping them is that I see the items as well and they are trashed, I only replace items if they are returned or I can see a photo of them being destroyed so there is no gain for a customer to try and con me. I know the odd person might try to pull a swift one but 2 years in the business have given me a rough idea of how much to expect and it's about 1 a week - over the past few months it has more than quadrupled!! It's insane and I just cant see that people would be willing to ruin their item and the tube all to put me out of a bit of money but then leave me good feedback?
POSTMAN wrote:I,and i'm sure every Postie on here know the tubes you're talking about,and in my 10 years i have NEVER seen one damaged.
Something seems wrong here.
Tip,why dont you send a few to yourself or some trust worthy friends and see how that pans out.
Well, if it's happening to 1 out of 35-40 posters I would have to send that amount to myself and I'm simply not willing to do that, it would cost a fortune and not really help me.

I was just hoping that someone could say to me "yeah, FRAGILE stickers get your items treated much better" or "you have to put PLEASE DO NOT BEND onto this kind of delivery for it to be put in the delicate piles". Sadly it looks like there is no anything in place for RM to select more fragile items.... :sad:

As for the damage, Im pretty sure it's caused by Posties putting them into their vans under heavy items. Ive thought about it loads and its the only thing that makes sense for a tube to get crushed in the middle they way they mostly are. Like they were leaning on something at an angle and something heavy has landed in the middle of it, snapping the tube and ruining the paper product inside.

I'm not blaming anyone here and Im greatful for those who have taken the time to reply but my god it's annoying. It seems to be mostly happening down south in England, Im only having normal problems in the USA and Scotland and the rest of the world.

I guess I would have liked to have been told, yeah this is probably the reason for the sudden increase in your problems but dont worry this is going to happen and you should be fine soon. Wishful thinking though.
As I say, thanks anyway you've been great for taking the time to reply.
:nana
L Tommo wrote:Sorry to say this but.... I recon the bastards are playing cricket with your tubes....

HAVE A MOAN TO YOUR LOCAL MAIL CENTER AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BUSINESS FOR ANOTHER IF THEY DONT HELP... Its the muppets that RM employ now days.... Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but i work in a London Mail center and i see the idiots that now work on part time basis and dont care about anything in the job... SHAME AINT IT!!
I think I will but mu local post worker guy doesn't fill out all the info for me because he doesn't have the time... (I get to leave the parcels with him then pay a day behind so it works great for me as I dont have to wait about for AGES)... so I think he might get in trouble because I can't prove any of the postage if they ask about it. I love the guy and we have a good set up so I dont want him to get into trouble. I'd much rather stay with him and keep the business in my village but it just doesn't look viable any more. It's a real shame.

ooh well post abroad then.!!!!
their post offices are much better than ours aren't they?? NOT!!!!!
SICK OF CUSTOMERS RUNNING US DOWN
SEE IF THEY GIVE YOU THE SAME SERVICE.
BRITAIN-----TOO BLOODY SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
somerset

Post by somerset »

work = pay wrote:
Sorry Fiona to be the bearer of bad news but you have had several answers to your post now. :Applause Okay your packets are arriving damaged. I take personal pride in the job i do and anything that arrives at my frame damaged i will try and spend extra time on repairing it. But there are only so many hours in aday?I think you will find quite a lot of hard working posties on this site ,who go the extra mile. for nothing. :Applause Please do not forget we are striking to try and continue this good service we try to deliver.Amongst other things.I think you will find that the majority of your packets being damaged is by all the so called "inept twirps" of casuals,who don,t give a monkey. As for using the competion? Try this tactic. Send 3 identical packets via RM TNT and DHL to let's say = MRS MIGGINS at BACK OF BEYOND THE HILL FARM,DOWN THE LANE PAST THE OLD PUB,ZUMMERZET ? And see who delivers it. I would put a weeks wages on it being a postman :nana :nana :nana
work = pay

Post by work = pay »

cornishrep wrote:ooh well post abroad then.!!!!
their post offices are much better than ours aren't they?? NOT!!!!!
SICK OF CUSTOMERS RUNNING US DOWN
SEE IF THEY GIVE YOU THE SAME SERVICE.
BRITAIN-----TOO BLOODY SOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What? you're suggesting I move abroad to get a better service? "Too bloody soft?" why are people getting so defensive, I'm clearly NOT under the impression that you all fail to do your jobs or I wouldnt come on here looking for some advice... I know most of you guys do a very good job and that is why I want to remain with Royal Mail, I like the local PO, I like my postie and I trust you guys enough to join your forum telling you my problems. :Very Happy
"SICK OF CUSTOMERS RUNNING US DOWN" - WTF? :crazy: How am I running you down? Are you suggesting that my problems are not significant? Are you suggesting that it is my fault that the tubes are arriving damaged? Are you suggesting 2.5% damaged mail no cause for complaint? Or are you just being nasty for no good reason? Perhaps it's this kind of attitude that is bringing the good name of Royal Mail down. I'd be very surprised if your colleagues think Im running you down by approaching you all with this issue! :roll:
brisomerset wrote:Sorry Fiona to be the bearer of bad news but you have had several answers to your post now. :Applause Okay your packets are arriving damaged. I take personal pride in the job i do and anything that arrives at my frame damaged i will try and spend extra time on repairing it. But there are only so many hours in aday?I think you will find quite a lot of hard working posties on this site ,who go the extra mile. for nothing. :Applause Please do not forget we are striking to try and continue this good service we try to deliver.Amongst other things.I think you will find that the majority of your packets being damaged is by all the so called "inept twirps" of casuals,who don,t give a monkey. As for using the competion? Try this tactic. Send 3 identical packets via RM TNT and DHL to let's say = MRS MIGGINS at BACK OF BEYOND THE HILL FARM,DOWN THE LANE PAST THE OLD PUB,ZUMMERZET ? And see who delivers it. I would put a weeks wages on it being a postman :nana :nana :nana
My problem is not that the items are not arriving, it's that 1 out of about 40 tubes are being crushed / bent and the contents destroyed and I want to know if this is something that is happening due to "the casuals" which might end soon or if perhaps I need to send my items a different way that I dont know about other than insured (ie with a special sticker for fragile items - which doesnt seem to be the case)
I dont want to test other senders, if the problem persists then I will need to switch completely and Im under the impression that this forum is made up of mostly ethical postal workers who might try to advise me on this situation. I WANT to keep using RM and I know that the current situation is causing you all grief, so I was just wondering if perhaps some light could be shed on the situation for me?
I certainly didnt come on this forum hoping to get an audience for an unprovoked bitching session, Im here because my business is suffering and I dont know if it's worth sticking it out.
Think about this, if I have the decency to come on here and try to research the issue before jumping ship, imagine how much people will simply stop using RM without so much as a second thought.
work = pay

Post by work = pay »

ROCKY wrote:quick question have your tubes got the plastic end caps on them is so try removing these caps sealing the ends with tape instead,some posties if their boss wont sign them out on to a van do remove these caps and ram them through the box to save having to carry them for the rest of the day
I dont want them rammed through letter boxes though, I want them delivered pristine so why would I take the caps off? I have them taped and capped. Posties shouldnt tamper with them mail to make get home early, I'd rather they were delivered slowly than damaged. :neutral:
norbet colon

Re: Well...

Post by norbet colon »

L Tommo wrote:Sorry to say this but.... I recon the bastards are playing cricket with your tubes....

HAVE A MOAN TO YOUR LOCAL MAIL CENTER AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BUSINESS FOR ANOTHER IF THEY DONT HELP... Its the muppets that RM employ now days.... Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but i work in a London Mail center and i see the idiots that now work on part time basis and dont care about anything in the job... SHAME AINT IT!!there is a lot of idiots up here but it's not politically correct to do anything with them , there's some ordinary wrong 'uns as well , let's just say they're more subtle. RM would put me on a charge for saying this , poor culture, no pride , poor training etc , Mgt either don't care or quite happy to command and ignore. Let's just say there's Empires within Empires and shifty ones that emulate them amongst the indigenous in Distribution/Collections

out

DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND US DOWN! :so there
andy2007

Good Grief!!!!!

Post by andy2007 »

POSTMAN wrote:
work = pay wrote: I think I will but mu local post worker guy doesn't fill out all the info for me because he doesn't have the time... (I get to leave the parcels with him then pay a day behind so it works great for me as I dont have to wait about for AGES)... so I think he might get in trouble because I can't prove any of the postage if they ask about it. I love the guy and we have a good set up so I dont want him to get into trouble. I'd much rather stay with him and keep the business in my village but it just doesn't look viable any more. It's a real shame.

You should always get proof of postage that's the num 1 rule,regardless of how long the que is an other stuff!

Also it's a sad fact but 'Do not bend' and 'Fragile' means nothing for parts of our system,only the Posties delivering it will take any notice,if your lucky.
Imagine handling thousands of parcels/packets every day,it'sjust not feasible.

Also you haven't mentioned compensation i don't think so far,or is that summin to do with the proof of postage thing?
I am horrified to hear that "Do not bend" and "Fragile" stickers are being ignored elsewhere. :shock: :oops: We get mail by the Lorry load in large metal cages (RSCs), and make sure that frigile items are on the top, not the bottom of the cages when sorting it. That way they don't get squashed. Also if an RSC is overloaded, we take the excess off before stacking the cages in the dispatch lanes. Even if they are normal mail, so that it doesn't get damaged there either. Are you really suggesting that even some of our own staff are not taking this much care?!? :shock: :oops: :d'oh!

It takes us much longer being careful with fragile items, but we still do it. After all, quality of service is vital if we are going to stay in business. And in case you are wondering, we are on targets at the Regional Distribution Centres (RDCs) too.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
norbet colon

Re: Well...

Post by norbet colon »

norbet colon wrote:

HAVE A MOAN TO YOUR LOCAL MAIL CENTER AND TELL THEM THAT YOU WILL LEAVE THERE BUSINESS FOR ANOTHER IF THEY DONT HELP... Its the muppets that RM employ now days.... Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but i work in a London Mail center and i see the idiots that now work on part time basis and dont care about anything in the job... SHAME AINT IT!! there is a lot of idiots up here but it's not politically correct to do anything with them , there's some ordinary wrong 'uns as well , let's just say they're more subtle. RM would put me on a charge for saying this , poor culture, no pride , poor training etc , Mgt either don't care or quite happy to command and ignore. Let's just say there's Empires within Empires and shifty ones that emulate them amongst the indigenous in Distribution/Collections

out

DONT LET THE BASTARDS GRIND US DOWN! :so there
IWW Fellow Worker

Re: Good Grief!!!!!

Post by IWW Fellow Worker »

andy2007 wrote:I am horrified to hear that "Do not bend" and "Fragile" stickers are being ignored elsewhere.

I'm not. When I did my three days training, almost three decades ago, we were told to ignore such instructions on envelopes etc. if the item wasn't suitably enclosed in the correct packaging. We were told to ignore all endorsements written on items of mail unless they were obscene or threatening. I've been on the same delivery for twenty years and know the people I deal with every day. I have a good relationship with most of them, so I wouldn't bend an item which said 'Do Not Bend' etc. written on it. But, in the brave new world of the 'efficient' Royal Mail, you can bet the new crop of forthcoming posies won't be so interested in maintaining a decent relationship with the people they deal with. They just won't have the time to wait until the door in answered and will just bend and flatten anything to fit it through the letterbox.
The Industrial Workers of the World. The union whose members never scab!

"The working class and the employing class have nothing in common."
jemima

Post by jemima »

Have you changed the size of the tubes you use recently? Sometimes when parcels are moved thin things like tubes can get to be poking through the sides of some of the York containers while they're being transported and the likelihood of this happening depends on the length of the item. If they are sticking out they might get damaged between containers.