ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal Mail policy on delivery where there is no letterbox

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
BeckyLum876

Royal Mail policy on delivery where there is no letterbox

Post by BeckyLum876 »

Hi I own a shop which was sadly shut for much of last year due to staff shortages. It has full glass retail frontage on to a pedestrian only street, but it has no letterbox.

it is the registered office address for my company because we have an office in the same building on an upper floor but it is accessed through the shop, so we usually have staff working in the building but they don't work in the actual shop so the door remains locked most of the time.

Sometimes we seem to get letters pushed under the door but we have been issued with a fine from a public body that said they posted a notice to us just ordinary first class post that we never received, and because we didn't act on the notice (that we were unaware of because we never received their letter!) they are refusing to cancel the fine.

Because they did not use a tracking service we have no way of verifying whether they sent it or not, but we definitely did not receive it.

We can appeal but I am trying to build a case that they have been negligent in delivering the notice and therefore it was not validly served because they did not ensure it was received.

I am wondering whether it got sent when our shop was closed, what would the royal mail policy be for ordinary first class post that cannot be delivered due to lack of a letterbox? would the policy be to send it back to sender? or would the send have to write that on the envelope?

The public body have been really unhelpful and won't look into the matter at all from their end so I am just trying to work out what could have happened in this scenario?

Is it plausible that if royal mail couldn't deliver to the address due to a lack of letterbox, they sent it back to sender? If I could demonstrate this is a possibility I think I may be able to persuade them to cancel the fine!

Many Thanks

yellowbelly

Re: Royal Mail policy on delivery where there is no letterbox

Post by yellowbelly »

BeckyLum876 wrote:
13 Mar 2024, 05:50
Hi I own a shop which was sadly shut for much of last year due to staff shortages. It has full glass retail frontage on to a pedestrian only street, but it has no letterbox.

Is it plausible that if royal mail couldn't deliver to the address due to a lack of letterbox, they sent it back to sender? If I could demonstrate this is a possibility I think I may be able to persuade them to cancel the fine!

Many Thanks
Really still occupying the building and knowing it has no letterbox you should have made arrangements for your mail delivery. That's not the fault of the organisation issuing the fine or Royal Mail, it's your responsibility. Otherwise every scallywag who knows that they're going to get a speeding fine would seal their mailbox or remove it from the wall and say 'It's not my fault'.

If mail is undeliverable for any reason it gets marked as undeliverable with a sticker indicating which of several reasons why it couldn't be delivered. If the envelope has a return address it should go straight back to that address. If mail has no return address it goes to the National Mail Returns Centre where effort might be made to discover the sender, then destroyed if that's not possible.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

This would probably fall under the "Delivery EExceptions" part of the USO

Namley: Insecurity or Difficulty of Access

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... exceptions
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
BeckyLum876

Post by BeckyLum876 »

Thanks both for the help it is really appreciated.

Yes I have been silly not to put something better in place, I didn't really think about it because usually if someone sends us something important they send it by recorded delivery which we then know to collect when we get the card, or our shop neighbour takes it in for us.

Happily we now have some staff and the shop is open and trading again :nana

thank goodness!