ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Forwarding Mail for previous occupier

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
mrsgogg1ns

Forwarding Mail for previous occupier

Post by mrsgogg1ns »

Is it legal to not forward post at all if I receive something for a previous lodger? I'm on crutches and rarely leave the house, I don't want to make a special trip out just to post someone's mail that they didn't bother to get redirected. Is there anything stopping me from simply storing it somewhere on the off chance they come and ask for it? What are my legal obligations?

BenacreNick

Re: Forwarding Mail for previous occupier

Post by BenacreNick »

Mrs Gogg, from a simple Google search I found this information :-

Many wonder whether they can discard mail if it is not for them. And the answer is—no! It is illegal to throw away mail items addressed to someone else. Otherwise, you may fall into trouble under the Postal Services Act 2000.7 Jun 2023.

:cuppa
mrsgogg1ns

Post by mrsgogg1ns »

Benacre, thank you I also found that information on Google. My question is whether I can simply store it without any attempt to forward it.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

What do you mean by forwarding mail? If you are crossing out your address and then writing on their new address, Royal Mail are quite within their rights (and increasingly more likely) to surcharge the item. It is then possible that the recipient doesn't pay the surcharge, and it will be returned to sender.

If it was me, I would be putting a line through your address and writing "not known - return to sender" on it and then popping it in a post box as and when you can.

Royal Mail guidance is here https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... %20records.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You could take the previous advice and cross out the address with "Return to sender Not known at this address" but that doesn't solve the problem of getting it to a letter box.

Alternatively you could just Bin It! Especially if it's just Holiday Brochures & Catalogues.

I tell my customers to treat their address like their PIN, nobody should be using it apart from them. We've had a lot of scams that stress out a lot of older customers. Do what YOU feel comfortable with, I certainly wouldn't worry about the Postal Services Act :crazy:

I've got one customer that opens everything that's NOT Addressed to him, phones up the sender and bends his ear..... he is retired though with a lot of time on his hands. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

mrsgogg1ns wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 19:30
Benacre, thank you I also found that information on Google. My question is whether I can simply store it without any attempt to forward it.
Technically, no that would come under delaying the mail.

However, if you took reasonable steps to return all the letters to the sender, by endorsing the envelopes and then either handing them to the posties or by popping them into a red pillar box every 7 to 10 days I can't see that would be a problem.

Also if you ask nicely the posties may take note of the name, and RTS them before they get to you. Technically this is not allowed so don't be upset if they refuse, but if they do call the delivery office and ask to speak to the manager (just don't go full Karen :chuckle ) and they may authorise the posties to do it because of your particular situation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
mrsgogg1ns

Post by mrsgogg1ns »

Thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate everyone weighing in here. I think I will go the route of forwarding this mail as and when I am going past a postbox as part of my normal day, not making a special trip. Perhaps that causes some small delay but it hardly seems like a crime that I would be reasonably punished for if someone decided to try - I have been threatened by my recently departed lodger (before even receiving any of their mail I might add!) with legal action unfortunately, that's why I came here to check what can really be done if I don't make a big effort to forward things - I'm not jumping up and down to help this person as they've already made my life miserable! :cuppa
gfte

Post by gfte »

If they do make contact, tell them to set up and pay for a redirection themselves.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/rece ... edirection