ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wrong postcode, local hub ping pong

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
Drfleece

Wrong postcode, local hub ping pong

Post by Drfleece »

Hello there
I stupidly let auto fill put my parents house postcode when ordering something so the address is correct but the post code is wrong. They're both NE but different numbers. So far the package has been rerouted between two separate hubs about 10 times. Is there a number or redirects before it's flagged and sent back to the supplier or is it doomed to go back and forth between the two for eternity?
Cheers!

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Wrong postcode, local hub ping pong

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Can you post the tracking number so we can see the types of the offices that it's bouncing between?
Drfleece

Post by Drfleece »

Thanks it's JW169847460GB
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Looks like the MC is sorting it based on the postcode (don't know if they use a machine to sort parcels), but DOs will sort items based initially on the road name and building name/number as that determines which walk/round an item gets sorted to.

It's strange that the DO haven't crossed through the incorrect postcode by now and the alphanumeric code (if there is one on the item)
Drfleece

Post by Drfleece »

I see. So just hoping someone will notice it on one of its many trips?
yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

This has happened at our office before, particularly when people move and they change their address on an online account but forget to change the postcode bit.

What happened to one particular item was it got to us as it was one of our postcodes but the address was a totally different location of the country (someone had moved but their redirection had finished), we noticed the wrong postcode and scrubbed it out, wrote the correct postcode on it and put it back in the system. However we think that the parcel sorting machines kept reading the postcode encoded in the parcel barcode and and kept pinging it from the parcel sorting centre towards us but the posties at the tier above us who sort by hand saw the address wasn't local and chucked it back towards the parcel sorting centre. On occasion it did get through to us again though.

As a matter of interest on one of its repeated arrivals at our office I had made a note of the tracking (yeah a bit sad I know) and could see it pinging backwards and forwards as your parcel is doing. Eventually someone must have physically seen what was happening with the parcel and pointed it in the right direction as I could see it got to its destination. It took about a month though!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

What are the first letters and numbers (first half) of the postcode where it should be going and if you know what was written on it, the postcode that's on the item