ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcel stuck at Langley HWDC

For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.

This is an open forum.

Forum rules
For help with tracking please see...HERE
For information about your item being in HWDC Langley please see...HERE
For information about any other mail or if you have a complaint or general query, we first suggest you contact Royal Mail, see the link HERE.
Implications on mail after the UK's exit from the EU
From 1st January the rules for sending and receiving items to and from the EU will change.For more details please see... HERE
Mad murph

Re: Parcel stuck at Langley HWDC

Post by Mad murph »

I’ve got a parcel that I’m assuming is stuck at Langley since 19th July and I would be grateful if someone would be able to check and see where it currently is. The reference is LB411529165US.
Thanks 👍🏻

simonjeremy

Post by simonjeremy »

Hi!

Am I correct in understanding that parcels are not tracked inside HWDC?
I mailed a parcel of coffee (a brand not available in Japan) to my wife and son living in Tokyo.
That was on the 29 September.. The parcel was tracked step-by-step from the Exeter Post Office all the way to HWDC where it arrived the next morning and then ... nothing. It's like HWDC is a black hole.

Why aren't parcels tracked inside the facility? Amazon does that. DHL and FedEx too. Is it something to do with the union contract? The union doesn't want the company snooping on its members?

I simply want to understand how Royal Mail 'lost' the parcel and seems unable to find it (despite my paying for the Internation Tracking service) and not at all interested in doing anything about the problem.

Hope you can offer some guidance

All the best

Simon
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Coffee isn't allowed to be sent to Japan:

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/inter ... ides/japan
simonjeremy

Post by simonjeremy »

Instant coffee is NOT on the list of prohibited substances.

Nor is it on the list of items that Japan Customs prohibits

And if the the Royal Mail will not carry it, why not return to sender?

Besides, since the Customs Label was examined at the Post Office counter, they should have rejected it there and then if your claim is accurate

No, man, some scumbag in HWDC nabbed the parcel. Straightforward theft.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

It'll be down to if Japanese customs deem instant coffee to be allowed or not. If it isn't they'll either return the item to the sender or destroy it.

What's the tracking number?
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

simonjeremy wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 15:43

"Coffee" is on the list of things that Japan prohibit. No distinction there between instant, granulated or beans. See the link Space Phoenix posted.
simonjeremy wrote:
Besides, since the Customs Label was examined at the Post Office counter, they should have rejected it there and then if your claim is accurate
No. Post Office counter staff should reject items that are covered by the Dangerous Goods act. For foreign governments' customs rules, a good clerk should advise you that it is likely to be a problem, but it is ultimately the sender's responsibility.
simonjeremy wrote:
Royal Mail and the PO work under the same rules. They will refuse to carry things that contravene the Dangerous Goods Act, in which case they will destroy them. For contravention of other country's customs rules, there is a section at Langley that checks items and tries to make sure that things that do are returned to sender, to avoid the package being destroyed by customs in the other country. This can take a while, particularly if there is something borderline inside.
simonjeremy wrote:
It's pretty bad manners to ask for some assistance and then, when it is offered, to accuse the people offering help of theft. You haven't even provided any tracking or other evidence to back up your assertion.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

simonjeremy wrote:

If you want help and guidance I suggest you remain respectful and not accuse our colleagues of theft.

We are not an official site so if you suspect a crime has been committed please go to the police.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
simonjeremy

Post by simonjeremy »

What a load of cobblers!
Why are you covering for your scumbag colleagues.
The tracker says it entered HWDC and then absolutely nothing. So Japanese Customs never got to see the package - in order to reject it. And if Royal Mail decided to destroy it, there is no notification that they did so.
Like Sherlock Holmes used to say: Eliminate all the various possibilities and whatever is left, however improbable ...
You gonna tell me that there are no dishonest employees working for Royal Mail. Not a single thief among the tens of thousands?
You gonna tell me that HWDC has surveillance and security measures like they have at Amazon? Of course not! 'Cos the CWU is protecting the interests of you guys which also means protecting the interests of the thieves at HWDC
simonjeremy

Post by simonjeremy »

And for the imbecile who concocts imahginary prohibitions on coffee at Japan Customs, check this out
https://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/prohibit.htm

Seriously, you guys are amateurs at the covering-up-for-your mates'-thefts
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

simonjeremy wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 16:38
And for the imbecile who concocts imahginary prohibitions on coffee at Japan Customs, check this out

Seriously, you guys are amateurs at the covering-up-for-your mates'-thefts
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out :cuppa
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

Post by Snaggletooth »

simonjeremy wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 16:38
Interesting website. The list you linked to above is a simplified list for people arriving by plane, as confirmed by this leaflet from the same website which contains *almost*, but not quite, the same list:

https://www.customs.go.jp/zeikan/pamphlet/tsukan_e.pdf

But a look elsewhere round the site shows that list isn't the whole story, for instance this:

https://www.customs.go.jp/english/c-ans ... 9007_e.htm

Which clearly states that some plants are banned. No mention of that on the list you linked to. Or, indeed, Vicks Vapour Rub.

It's good that Japan customs keep a website like this in English, many countries wouldn't bother. But a bit of checking shows that the English language website is neither consistent nor comprehensive.

Most countries keep a different customs list for importing by post to importing in person. For instance, Japan is one of about 30 countries that ban lithium batteries in the mail (see also Germany, China etc). This means that you can't post an iPhone to Japan. But if you walk off a plane and through customs with one, they won't care: different lists for different purposes. I can't find the postal list on the website you linked to, but I can on the Royal Mail website. See link earlier in the thread. And that one includes the rules on, for instance, importing plants that are missing from the Japan Customs site.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Banned customer - I will not stand for abuse of colleagues by ANYONE especially when people post on here voluntarily.

You are allowed to disagree with whats posted, but you must do so in a respective way
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

For information purposes, Royal Mail can destroy prohibited goods and there is no requirement to inform the customer if they do: https://www.royalmail.com/terms-and-conditions
Restricted and Prohibited Materials and Sanctions Laws
3.16 You must comply with any prohibitions, restrictions or specific requirements in the UK and the destination country for international deliveries. You are responsible for checking whether an Item is prohibited, restricted or subject to Sanctions Laws. You must check the list of Prohibited Materials and
Restricted Materials (and any applicable restrictions) prior to posting any Item.

3.17 You must not post Prohibited Material and you may be liable to prosecution if you do so.

3.22 If we have reasonable suspicion that an Item contains Prohibited Materials, Restricted Materials which do not comply with this Agreement or does not comply with Sanctions Laws we may:

3.22.1 open that Item or delay processing and delivery; and/or

3.22.2 deal with such Item in our absolute discretion (without incurring any liability whatsoever to you or your Intended Recipient) including destroying or otherwise disposing of such Item in whole or in part, or returning the relevant Item to you.

If we take one or all of the actions described in this clause, we are entitled to charge you the cost of disposal and/or destruction, the standard Postage price and all other costs reasonably incurred by us.