ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... s_business_/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A postal worker was jailed for eleven months on Friday after he admitted to embezzling more than £132,000 in cash.

Maheah Vaja, of Leander Road, Thornton Heath, stole the £132,000 in a desperate bid to keep his brother’s business afloat. While working at the post office, the 46-year-old helped his sub-postmaster brother run the combined post office and general store.

Auditors turned up at the Lee Green shop on November 26, 2007, and before starting their routine checks, were told by Vaja there would be £80,000 missing.

Tom Bradford, prosecuting, said: “He said he had not reported the deficit because he was scared of the consequences”.

When he was interviewed in February 2008 he said he had started paying his brother’s bills with the post office money and had manipulated cash figures on the accounts to hide the thefts.

“He made it clear he had been under pressure to make up his brother’s losses. “The sub-postmaster is liable for the amount and is being pursued for that amount,” added Mr Bradford.

Melanie Simpson, defending, said Vaja had made no personal gain from what he had been doing and had been acting under misguided loyalty to his brother.

Judge Pratt told Vaja, who was of previous good character, that: “During 2007 you plundered your brother’s post office to keep the shop afloat. You are not the first person to resort to dishonesty to keep a business alive and you will not be the last, but the amount was enormous.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Judge Pratt
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Geezer
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1347
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 21:01

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by Geezer »

Didn't most of the Banks around the world do the same thing,But instead of being held to account are being bailed out by their respective governments whilst at the same time shafting the working men/women who will end up paying for their GREED.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by dvbuk55 »

132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by DGP1 »

dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?

but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by dvbuk55 »

disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?

but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.
brothermagrew
Posts: 3015
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 16:38
Gender: Male
Location: Shares a border with England to the south.

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by brothermagrew »

dvbuk55 wrote:
disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?

but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.
More like 2538 years and that extra £38 that is quoted may not sound a lot but it could by a lot of pork pies.
"Today’s workplace has become heartless and soulless. Employees are seen as units of labour, automatons, functionaries, objects for achieving designated tasks, and as costs to be minimised."
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postal worker stole £132k to 'prop up brother's business'

Post by dvbuk55 »

brothermagrew wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
disgruntledpostie1 wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:132k for 11 months doesn't seem such a bad deal does it?

but he has to repay all the money, I suppose the government could try asking all those on the boards of the banks to pay back the billions they have squandered.
Well then it would have to be £1 per week for the next 132,000 weeks which would be 2500 years - I think I could live with that what about you.
More like 2538 years and that extra £38 that is quoted may not sound a lot but it could by a lot of pork pies.
Now now - I think I know who you're talking about.