not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Question for a Union Guru

28 Apr 2007, 21:55

Just lately i have been feeling under worked and over paid, mainly cuz i am off work on the sick.

I am currently on a stage 1 warning from last year. Last month i injured my foot on duty and was off work for 4 days before being badgered back into the circus cuz they was short of clowns again, i did however log it as an accident at work. I limped round for 2 weeks and have sinse had to go sick yet again, albeit with a doctors note for the same injury.

What i wondered is, will they count an accident at work towards a stage 2 warning?

Thanks

Punk

"Thou shall not covert the office nark's cushy duty, he hath been rewarded with that for grassing up his former friends and preaching the word of thy glorious management"

I'm not a rep Guru type person thingy but.....

28 Apr 2007, 22:21

...why come back if you're not ready,especially an AOD.?
As for the AOD counting towards a next stage,that depends on how you got the injury and what mood your Managers in.

If you got shot at by a gang of hoodies with elephant guns then you may just scrape it.
If the Managers Wife/Boyfriend put out the night before the same applies.

On a serious note,not that the above is totally fictitious or out of this world.
They don't have to discount AOD's,but if you can prove that they pressured you back to work then you could have a case.
And it also depends on the accident.
I've had AOD's before and the screw hasn't discounted them,even one which was in the office!!
They are cutting down on letting them go as there are so many of them,even though i would of thought a large majority of them are genuine.

Also are you outside these limits??

Stage 1: 4 absences or 14 days in a 12 month period
Stage 2: 2 absences or 10 days in any 6 month period during the next 12 months
Stage 3: 2 absences or 10 days in any 6 month period during the next 12 months

As for your little preach,i say get hold of 'im and give 'im a good f***ing hiding Image

PUNK!!!!!

29 Apr 2007, 03:57

Sorry to hear you are off sick at the moment. We are a business that premotes Health and safty in the work place!!!
I hear as in your case NO:------------ That you had a Accident on duty as stated and we will investigate this.
WE realise the accident was put in the accident book and since you came back after( 4 days) In good faith!!!!!
WE DONT GIVE A MONKEYS UNCLE THAT U LIMPED ROUND FOR TWO WEEKS IN PAIN WITH THE SAME INJURY!!!!
THEN WENT SICK WITH A DR's NOTE,, AS WE WILL ISSUE A STAGE 2 FORTHWITH AS WE ARE HORRIBLE c***s!!!
I Hope this clears things up as we await too see u soon for a RTU as all we want is to sack anyone with the gall to
injure themselfs and still be living??? You still took the piss!!! As you breath and should thank Royal Mail For letting you to do so!!

OUT

DR BIG AL & CONSULTANT lil adam!!

30 Apr 2007, 17:18

as postman said, they don't have to discount the AOD but they have to consider it also get your rep to ask to see your back to work discussion notes, or can you remember saying you weren't fit enough? it should be logged down and this could be to your advantage.

01 May 2007, 12:31

Thanks for the advice, i've definately triggered a stage 2 now and its odds on i'm gonna get it by the sounds. Oh well, 12 months aint that long to go without being ill or having a hangover i guess.

01 May 2007, 12:39

I've managed bout 15 months bar a half day the other week.
I was on an rtu,the thing is every time you say twist your ankle or feel a pull somewhere,you s**t yourself just in case it gets worse.
Not a way to live and work :no no

01 May 2007, 16:07

STAND YOUR GROUND IT IS THEIR DECISION ,AND AOD SHOULD NOT COUNT,IF YOU HAVE A PREVIOUS GOOD RECORD POINT IT OUT,ALONG WITH THE POINT THAT YOUR EARLY RETURN AT THEIR BEHEST HAS CAUSED YOU SERIOUS PAIN, AND DISCOMFORT FAR ABOVE WHAT YOU WHAT HAVE HAD IF YOU LET THE INJURY MEND AT ITS OWN SPEED,THE EXTRA TIME OFF BECOMES THEIR FAULT NOT YOURS

Re: Question for a Union Guru

03 May 2007, 16:48

Punk wrote: Last month i injured my foot on duty and was off work for 4 days

This depends on wether you contributed to the accident. ie If you pushed open a gate and it fell on your
Royal Mail shoe covered foot, you will be covered by AOD and it wont go towards a stage warning.

If on the other hand, you pushed the gate and it dropped onto your brand new Nikey slave sewn kiddie trainer, Royal Mail could say that as you were not wearing RM approved footwear. You are contributal to the accident and it will count towards a stage warning.

Punk wrote: I limped round for 2 weeks and have sinse had to go sick yet again, albeit with a doctors note for the same injury.

This should be linked to the first AOD by your CWU Rep ie both absences counted as one and total days counted as AOD.

A.O.DUTY

03 May 2007, 17:08

Good post Zorro :Applause

03 May 2007, 17:53

Zorro's post is line with practice in my area. How ever if Royal Mail accept part of the blame for a AOD local managers still like to issue warning as they can get away with it due to no right of appeal!

03 May 2007, 19:33

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Fortunately i was shod head to toe in official RM gear, so they cant get me on that one. I'm far to tight to be wearing me own clobber to work! :Very Happy

I actually did it changing a wheel on my van, couldn't budge one of the nuts so i used me foot to push down on the wheel brace and it slipped off. :mad Manager has apparently been asking the drivers if we've ever had any training on changing wheels, we aint, so he cant use that neither.

I'm gonna make a fight of it anyhow and not just take it up the ar*e, might as well there's nowt to loose.

Cheers

03 May 2007, 20:15

Why didnt the work shop come out and change it?

03 May 2007, 20:57

johnnypick wrote:Why didnt the work shop come out and change it?

Good question to ask the Manager at the interview

03 May 2007, 21:32

I think he might do you for changing the wheel,it's not your job,you would be very lucky if you get away with it.
Unless you guys do it as the norm,which i can't see.
Sorry Punk :neutral:

04 May 2007, 18:05

what size van, you only change wheels if you feel comfy with the idea, but anything bigger thana 50 and it should be a shops job to change,in theory anyway,for us depending on who you are you aint going anywhere unless you diy

04 May 2007, 21:35

In the 18 years i've worked for RM we've always been expected to change wheels, even the women drivers, its like part of the territory at my office. I thought it was the same everywhere. :shock:

The workshop guys only really do the servicing and repairs, they're 15 odd miles away, they dont come out for breakdowns on duty either, we get the AA sent out to us, which can mean good wait. :roll:

Cheers

05 May 2007, 07:42

If it is a practice that is common in your office, then you are covered by AOD and it should not be used against you.

20 May 2007, 19:52

you are not allowed to change a wheel for a start so Royal mail have contributed to your accident.

AOD are normally discounted unless blame can be aportioned to you.

AOD is not an AOD if it was investigated within 48 hours and you were correctly informed it was not an AOD. If the AOD was not disputed then it is an AOD regardless.

I personally would "no win no fee" for your injury

20 May 2007, 21:24

AOD is not an AOD if it was investigated within 48 hours and you were correctly informed it was not an AOD. If the AOD was not disputed then it is an AOD regardless.

Ok can you elaborate a bit more,with that i mean this,i understand sort of what you are saying.
But does this mean then that if the AOD is NOT investigated within 48hrs it goes down as an AOD then it CAN'T be held against us in a stage warning so it is AUTOMATICALY ignored.

20 May 2007, 22:32

Don't fall for the 'you contributed to your accident so we're counting it scenario', as that's not what the procedure says.

The agreement/procedure says absence due to accidents on duty are normally discounted. This should be raised at your sick interview.

If the gaffer issues the stage, put a grievance in on the basis of 'unfair application of the attendance procedure'.

And do NOT sign the letter that gives you the warning, as by doing so, it infers you agree with the decision.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3