ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many neighbours do you knock?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by twoloops »

cpsteve wrote:If i finish early on my way back i go back to any undelivered packets on my route where people are normally in.
Surly that just encourages them to buy more stuff online? Make it difficult for them & you could soon eradicate oversized parcels from you walk & also keep the high street open :arrrghhh
Sledge4211
Posts: 68
Joined: 03 Dec 2018, 14:47
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Sledge4211 »

mattycash wrote:
cpsteve wrote:If i finish early on my way back i go back to any undelivered packets on my route where people are normally in.
Surly that just encourages them to buy more stuff online? Make it difficult for them & you could soon eradicate oversized parcels from you walk & also keep the high street open :arrrghhh
And deny any revenue for Royal Mail for no incoming packets on that walk...smh lol
Leon32
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16
Joined: 09 Oct 2014, 05:38
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Leon32 »

Zero
Trail
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Dec 2016, 19:54
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Trail »

Leon32 wrote:Zero
I'm the same. I did for the first week or two, but after I was running to three houses to get rid of one packet I stopped that. It was frustrating, unsuccessful when all three were out, it was also making me late for my partner. Just holding up the process basically. :cuppa
exaandt
Posts: 103
Joined: 18 Jun 2007, 13:58

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by exaandt »

Good for you and love the manager nik names
Yes I do this and as you say pda protects you come on all enjoy join the pda protection party or pop for short lol
PDAs are the best thing since the days when a manager used to come out with you and test the round its GREAT
Well done you
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by sirchewey »

I work to rule.... 3 neighbour's and then P739. I've added an extra 45-60 minutes onto my delivery time since doing this. RM want us all to do this, so does the union. Why rush yourselves just so they can give you even more work to do. Use your PDA actuals to your advantage. If you have too much work, call it in, bring it back, let it fail, then they can get your workload correct as per the PDA actuals. I'm nearly 40 years young, and when I'm 65 I'll still be 65 years young, not old and knackered. Do your job to the letter, work smarter not harder.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by cpsteve »

mattycash wrote:
cpsteve wrote:If i finish early on my way back i go back to any undelivered packets on my route where people are normally in.
Surly that just encourages them to buy more stuff online? Make it difficult for them & you could soon eradicate oversized parcels from you walk & also keep the high street open :arrrghhh
So its good for us the more we get to deliver the more secure our jobs are. I have a van so i do most of the packets what happens to the high street is not my problem. Why would you drive past a home where you know someone is in and not deliver thats just weird.
Pizza menu
Posts: 1
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 10:26
Gender: Male

How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Pizza menu »

As many as it takes.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by twoloops »

Christmas is over, it was raining, time to teach the slow to answer the door brigade & you have parcels every f**king day gang a lesson, I wrote my 739s out in advance & they got one big PDA knock & 1 to 10 count & I was off, hope the callers office & car park is rammed when they collect it :left:
smok3y666
Posts: 754
Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by smok3y666 »

Pizza menu wrote: ↑
09 Jul 2019, 21:07
As many as it takes.
Manager?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I Never bother trying neighbours. My point of view is: Why should I inconvience someone else because you're not in to receive something that you've ordered? :hmmmm

I don't give a shite what Terry & Simon want me to do. :speak to the hand

I do take the time to try and educate customers about using the "Safe Place" option (stressing that it should actually be a SENSIBLE Safe place) and also the "Local Collect" from the nearby Post Office.

With Repeat Offenders (who are NEVER in) I even write out the 739s before I leave the DO (Better Light, DRY & Comfortable) :thumbup

With a Van duty I've found myself spending more time stopping right outside more addresses, with oversize parcels, and just walking smaller loops. Gone are the days of parking up and walking off with a LWT and a couple of bags (one full of small parcels) to do a street. Often I'm moving the van 3 or 4 times down a street with only 30 addresses.... but with 9 Serial Parcel Orderers FFS! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

norris9 wrote: ↑
16 May 2019, 19:01


Ahh man. I had one the other day....

I ring and after 30 seconds someone answers who is out the house and says their mum is in the house so they would ring her.... I was like FFS this could take a while....

So started writing out the docket........just as I have completed writing it, 2 minutes after originally ringing the bell the mum comes to the door.

It's hard not to have a pissed off look on my face when someone answers the door just as I've finished writing out a docket. :left:


Do those camera ringer things only go through to the owners mobile phone?.... do they not actually set off a bell inside the house?


Yep I know that feeling Norris. What I do is dramatically tear the 739 up in front of them and say, "Do you mind putting that in your bin for me"? :whistle

They normally get the message. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Kenfandango
Posts: 694
Joined: 19 Oct 2021, 16:40
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by Kenfandango »

If I'm busy it's zero. I see if there are any cars/ lights on/ signs of life as I approach the house, if it looks empty I knock and start writing the 739. If they answer while I'm doing it I've not wasted any time.
I've had far too many "will you take this parcel"/ "who's it for?"/ "76"/ "no then" conversations in the past few months. Knock on 3 houses and the only one who answers won't take it, end up filling out a full 739 anyway.
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by par4mrl »

Absolutely none. There is no time for shenanigans
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: How many neighbours do you knock?

Post by postslippete »

When in doubt, write a slip out

Unless a neighbour comes out willingly and accepts a neighbours parcel, why bother inconveniencing anyone unless its a trunk sized parcel that I really don't want to re-deliver
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.