ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Yellow dot

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by citypostie »

scoobymunster wrote:Has any office "started" their revision based on the Actuals? Do you know if they are planning it based on the current 38 hour week or taking the agreed hour drop into consideration? If they ignore the agreed hour/eventual aim of a 35 hour week, the revisions will be a massive waste of money if CWU gets progress on the 4P's.
No revisions should be based on PDA actuals its against the agreement. The cwu have said if they try to use actuals to do a revision or resource workload the rep should lodge a disagreement and flag it up
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by SpacePhoenix »

citypostie wrote:
scoobymunster wrote:Has any office "started" their revision based on the Actuals? Do you know if they are planning it based on the current 38 hour week or taking the agreed hour drop into consideration? If they ignore the agreed hour/eventual aim of a 35 hour week, the revisions will be a massive waste of money if CWU gets progress on the 4P's.
No revisions should be based on PDA actuals its against the agreement. The cwu have said if they try to use actuals to do a revision or resource workload the rep should lodge a disagreement and flag it up
They can't directly but they could take x hours out of an office which could then trigger a revision
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by sirchewey »

From what I understand currently, they have stopped using the old A+ system for logging walks. They have just bought in the Final Mile Optimisation system which has been detailed by Ordinance Survey mapping all the front doors and driveways to each property. This is Stage 1 of the system revision which coupled with an average of PDA actuals could form the basis of a revision but I doubt they would unless it is seriously overdue. They won't and can't use purely the PDA actuals to force a revision, but a combination of data they they will have collected such as office performance, overtime claims and parcel volumes etc.
The second stage from what I gather, will be combining this data with data collected from MCs when items are put through the system. This will give more accurate walk volume data. Combining this data will give RM a greater understanding of time required to deliver a single letter, multiple letters and parcels at each call point. Not only this but ultimately coupling this to individual worker's profiles will give them an average time which is deemed acceptable when planning new deliveries.
They have already spent £40m on this system, so I don't think they plan on not optimising it further.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12196
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by SpacePhoenix »

sirchewey wrote:They won't and can't use purely the PDA actuals to force a revision
They can do if enough hours get taken out as a result of PDA actuals
sirchewey wrote:The second stage from what I gather, will be combining this data with data collected from MCs when items are put through the system. This will give more accurate walk volume data.
As more and more packets have 2D barcodes on them they'll be able to see fairly accurately the amount of work for a given walk on a given day (possibly down to loop level)
sirchewey
Posts: 99
Joined: 07 Dec 2012, 00:19
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by sirchewey »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
sirchewey wrote:They won't and can't use purely the PDA actuals to force a revision
They can do if enough hours get taken out as a result of PDA actuals
They can't at the moment as the data they receive isn't accurate enough TMK. This is down to refresh times and firmware currently installed on the PDA devices, something that they are currently in the process of upgrading.
SpacePhoenix wrote:
sirchewey wrote:The second stage from what I gather, will be combining this data with data collected from MCs when items are put through the system. This will give more accurate walk volume data.
As more and more packets have 2D barcodes on them they'll be able to see fairly accurately the amount of work for a given walk on a given day (possibly down to loop level)
Defo! That is the plan I've heard. The data they will be able to use when revisions are taking place in any DO will bypass the opinions of both manager, postie and the planners...... then again the planners wont have any jobs anymore really other than pressing a button. It will literally be a one click revision which will be able to be achieved within a day.
As a curiosity, I also heard they were looking at introducing digital frames into DOs. This would mean that revisions could be made seasonally and rounds altered to reflect workload. LCD strips on the sorting frames could be changed at will to reflect lapsing in the summer and introduce extra deliveries at Xmas.
There's one to ponder over your Sunday roast lol
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by rambo1 »

Smith1212 wrote:I've had this it sometimes occurs because I'm fast on delivery my partner not so much but with how the job is set up i can't go help him on his loops so I'll be sat waiting for 10.15mins daily on certain loops but they can't use it against me as much as they try lol
So why don't you just take it easy a bit?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Yellow dot

Post by NewPostieUK »

claretandblue wrote:Don't carry mine with me, never been questioned about it too.
Same here. Mine is where it's meant to be most of the time - in it's dock.
SpacePhoenix wrote:With the amount of packets that have got barcodes on them now, I find it hard to believe that there are some loops with nothing to scan
Depends what you call a loop. I might have three houses in a row with no packets. I'll leave the PDA in it's dock, and go up three drives then back to the van. Long drives and/or a packet that doesn't need scanning mean this could take 5 mins +
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Celgar »

I wouldn't worry about the yellow dot too much. The big thing RM is on about at the moment is idling of the engine on the vans. Two of us got pulled up on it a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly we were both in the top five in the area for it. If you haven't got the 'trimble' fitted in your van though you don't need to worry and are laughing. This issue is liable to attract the attention of the post office police so watch what you're doing out there at the moment. :wink:
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Jeppol
Posts: 50
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:20
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Jeppol »

Regal wrote:Its only used to understand why you may be booking overtime.
If you dont book overtime, theyll never bother to look at the yellow dot. So dont worry.
Have to disagree, I NEVER book overtime & yet I was called into a potential conduct code meeting with manager who asked me to explain why my van had been stationary for over an hour.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by daveyeff »

and the reason was?
NorthernPostman
Posts: 52
Joined: 13 Mar 2018, 06:16
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by NorthernPostman »

NewPostieUK wrote:
claretandblue wrote:Don't carry mine with me, never been questioned about it too.
Same here. Mine is where it's meant to be most of the time - in it's dock.
SpacePhoenix wrote:With the amount of packets that have got barcodes on them now, I find it hard to believe that there are some loops with nothing to scan
Depends what you call a loop. I might have three houses in a row with no packets. I'll leave the PDA in it's dock, and go up three drives then back to the van. Long drives and/or a packet that doesn't need scanning mean this could take 5 mins +

I don't understand how people can not carry their PDA with them. What do you do if your PDA is "in it's dock" and you get to a recorded letter in your loop?
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Celgar »

I have the PDA hanging in my hand which also holds the bundle of mail via the loop handle. Bit of a bother but it avoids virtually all the yellow dots occurring. I used to use the shoulder holster but it led to an infection and a hospital operation so I don't use the holster anymore.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by themailman »

Celgar wrote:I wouldn't worry about the yellow dot too much. The big thing RM is on about at the moment is idling of the engine on the vans. Two of us got pulled up on it a couple of weeks ago. Supposedly we were both in the top five in the area for it. If you haven't got the 'trimble' fitted in your van though you don't need to worry and are laughing. This issue is liable to attract the attention of the post office police so watch what you're doing out there at the moment. :wink:
Are they implying that people are leaving the engine running when delivering a parcel etc?
Hell mend anyone for doing that - there is literally no excuse for it.
scoobymunster
Posts: 346
Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by scoobymunster »

Our office got in grief about van idling last Christmas, you're allowed to sit with the van(and heating!) running for your break, they can't expect you to just sit freezing in a cold van.
Redvannon
Posts: 59
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 20:09
Gender: Male

Yellow dot

Post by Redvannon »

SpacePhoenix wrote: They can see if you go off-route. I suspect that with the new thing that's been brought in, it might flag up automatically when someone goes off-route
I suspect you're right, and it's in real time. I got questioned about if I'd been somewhere just off route yesterday (which the manager obviously knew I had) which in my defence I spent about 10 mins at if that and I was getting food.

Either that or I got reported by a fellow postie or woe betide a manager saw me. Wound me right up I have to admit.