ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job....?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by sidewinder »

Hgv driver for well known firm.Plus it's mon to fri with 1 in every 16 sats to cover. Anyother sats are ot so it's a choice. Couldn't even transfer to rm hgvs so that was out of the question.
internetguy
Posts: 183
Joined: 01 Oct 2010, 19:04
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by internetguy »

one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by not me »

doing a credit for entry course to get into uni
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by sidewinder »

internetguy wrote:one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
Had the licence for years. Was doing on the side work fir dhl etc , see other thread bout working for dhl.... Didn't want to go back to it but as rm got worse and worse I took the plunge, searched for jobs and found what I'm doing now. Can't say who they are but it's not supermarket work.
REDLETTER
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 748
Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
Gender: Male
Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by REDLETTER »

sidewinder wrote:
internetguy wrote:one of my mates is a hgv driver, i actually quiet fancy doing it. he said theres always work. this could be my answer to leaving.......
Had the licence for years. Was doing on the side work fir dhl etc , see other thread bout working for dhl.... Didn't want to go back to it but as rm got worse and worse I took the plunge, searched for jobs and found what I'm doing now. Can't say who they are but it's not supermarket work.

You'll be the British version of the Ice Road Truckers in this weather! :Very Happy

Good luck!
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by sidewinder »

Thanks lol
patno1
Posts: 16
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by patno1 »

Been looking for hgv job with rm but seems to be dead man's shoes got a couple of transfers in at nwrdc but it doesnt look good so might try somewhere else next year work your but off for these lot and get nowhere! :cool
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by Darren Bent »

Is it possible to find good HGV work and allow me to dance on Friday/Saturday nights as I don't want to work every night on the road.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by Darren Bent »

http://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/career-clueless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by Tman »

Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener..... :whistle
smokerjim
Posts: 1921
Joined: 13 Jun 2007, 22:27
Gender: Male
Location: In a corner, thinking "I've picked a bad week to give up smoking..."

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by smokerjim »

Tman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener..... :whistle
I guess that cliches are always short of facts...."long hours, poor pay and conditions, etc" are going to be a fact of life for agency drivers,but you could substitute the job title "driver" for any agency job title ( although how long hours can come into it with Euro tacho & driving laws is a bit odd ) and it is in my experience that HGV drivers tend to be very settled in their career....in umpteen jobs the only HGV driver I met that didn't use his licence for work, was a contract manager, & I've never met one that has said "I'm sick of driving....I know, them posties have it easy, and knock off by 1pm....that's what I'll do!" and is still out there walking the streets ( but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one :wink: )
I don't suppose your mouth bleeds every 28 days, does it?

Mail delivery; those that can, do, those that can't, MANAGE!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by dvbuk55 »

smokerjim wrote:
Tman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener..... :whistle
I guess that cliches are always short of facts...."long hours, poor pay and conditions, etc" are going to be a fact of life for agency drivers,but you could substitute the job title "driver" for any agency job title ( although how long hours can come into it with Euro tacho & driving laws is a bit odd ) and it is in my experience that HGV drivers tend to be very settled in their career....in umpteen jobs the only HGV driver I met that didn't use his licence for work, was a contract manager, & I've never met one that has said "I'm sick of driving....I know, them posties have it easy, and knock off by 1pm....that's what I'll do!" and is still out there walking the streets ( but hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one :wink: )
I think you are right smoker. My son in law is in his mid 40s and has been an HGV driver for over 20 years, my brother, who is now a Transport manager drove HGVs for 25 years and both have always said they would not have changed their lot. In fact my brother is coming up to retirement and is thinking of going back driving part time. Like any job thre are good places to work and bad places to work and both my relatives have moved from not so good when it suited them without any problems. The pay is without doubt very good by comparison although the hours aren't always that good, but in my son in laws case they seem to be quite flexible.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by Tman »

I'm sure there's long-established and experienced drivers who have good terms and conditions, but that's hardly the situation with a postie who wants to try something new, and that's what the thread title refers to. :whistle
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by POSTMAN »

Tman wrote:Funny, most ex-HGV drivers (now posties) say they couldn't wait to jack it in. Long hours, poor pay and conditions etc and there's no shortage of drivers meaning those pay and conditions are kept low.
I guess that grass is always greener..... :whistle
'Most'? How many have you spoken to?
Is your workplace full of ex HGV drivers?

Seeing as it seems to be can you get them on here pronto to give some of the guys some advise.
Would be very much appreciated.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: who on these boards is seriously looking for a new job..

Post by Tman »

Seems like many of them were, or cabbies, barmen, bus drivers, short-haul deliveries, call-centre workers, even a bloke from the local abbatoir.
I'll tell them POSTMAN wants a word about how great life is with no holiday pay, sick leave, pension, union recognition and all the other (current) benefits, shall I?

That's the great thing about RM.....no matter how bad it gets, it still beats actually working for a "living" when you're bottom of the heap... :shhhhh