I hear this a lot but can anyone tell me why as an employee of a private company that I need public support for my strike action?
Because we live and work in communities.
What do you think life would be like in your household if your partner and/or children didn't support your actions?
It's a bit like that.
Its actually nothing like that at all
Whether Mr Smith at 48 thinks I am a shiftless greedy bastard or not has no bearing on my fight to retain my terms and conditions and get a decent payrise
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Nice bit of irony, we have no choice but to cross their picket lines, and they have to conduct code anyone who doesn't cross their picket lines
Outside the gate:
Postie: "I refuse to cross a picket line"
Manager: "Thanks for your support"
Postie: "OK, I'm going home, see you next week"
Manager: "This absence will count on your sick record..."
Postie: "But I'm already on a stage 2, and this absence will trigger a stage 3, will I be OK?"
Manager: "Thanks for your support".
Sadly, this is bloody true it's depressing. I think the best way to not cross their picket line (not that they'll ever have one, the spineless lumps) is to have a nasty cold that day...
How would refusing to cross a picket line count as a day on your sick record?
Nonsense.
Well it would be a UNITE picket line, and the way Royal Mail are I expect they would try to categorise it as unofficial industrial action if an employee decided to do that. I can't think of a single manager who didn't cross a CWU picket line when I've been on strike, to them it wasn't a manager's battle.
In those circumstances it would be entirely justifiable for a postie to go to work as normal. F*ck that lot, I wouldn't want it to look like I'm supporting a bunch of ar*eholes that have sneered at me when I was on the gate.
Managers industrial action
Action short of strike:
Friday 15th July (6am)
Saturday 16th July
Sunday 17th July
Monday 18th July
Tuesday 19th July (midnight)
Strike action:
Wednesday 20th July
Thursday 21st July
Friday 22nd July
I hope we are going to get some real advice on working during this dispute from CWU HQ. I'm torn between supporting them as it's the right thing to do for the overall dispute vs my gut feeling of why should I lose money when you worked during the last time I took strike action.
I hope we are going to get some real advice on working during this dispute from CWU HQ. I'm torn between supporting them as it's the right thing to do for the overall dispute vs my gut feeling of why should I lose money when you worked during the last time I took strike action.
For me, we may work for the same firm but that's where the similarities end. Like you say, front line staff have NEVER received any support from management during industrial action, in fact, quite the opposite.
Managers industrial action
Action short of strike:
Friday 15th July (6am)
Saturday 16th July
Sunday 17th July
Monday 18th July
Tuesday 19th July (midnight)
I hope we are going to get some real advice on working during this dispute from CWU HQ. I'm torn between supporting them as it's the right thing to do for the overall dispute vs my gut feeling of why should I lose money when you worked during the last time I took strike action.
I hold a 'two wrongs dont make a right' attitude
I dont believe it will come to a strike though
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
I hope we are going to get some real advice on working during this dispute from CWU HQ. I'm torn between supporting them as it's the right thing to do for the overall dispute vs my gut feeling of why should I lose money when you worked during the last time I took strike action.
They are separate negotiations just turn up for work unless advised off the union,you have enough stress with your own dispute.
Nice bit of irony, we have no choice but to cross their picket lines, and they have to conduct code anyone who doesn't cross their picket lines
Outside the gate:
Postie: "I refuse to cross a picket line"
Manager: "Thanks for your support"
Postie: "OK, I'm going home, see you next week"
Manager: "This absence will count on your sick record..."
Postie: "But I'm already on a stage 2, and this absence will trigger a stage 3, will I be OK?"
Manager: "Thanks for your support".
Sadly, this is bloody true it's depressing. I think the best way to not cross their picket line (not that they'll ever have one, the spineless lumps) is to have a nasty cold that day...
How would refusing to cross a picket line count as a day on your sick record?
Nonsense.
If you're referring to my comment, Clash, I meant that taking a day sick could be an alternative to any quandary over crossing a picket line...as we wouldn't get paid for not crossing and just going home.
I'm closely watching the Sundays because the day I'm forced to work a Sunday is the day I leave.
Not sure what it is like around the country but our office has brought in *new staff* specifically to work a Sunday. It particularly suits retired people, students and housewives who don't mind an additional income. The fact that they have trained them up and given them brand new uniforms tells me that in all likelihood Royal Mail really has no plans for us to work a permanent Sunday
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
If you're referring to my comment, Clash, I meant that taking a day sick could be an alternative to any quandary over crossing a picket line...as we wouldn't get paid for not crossing and just going home.
In the example given by PP50 they were going to trigger a stage 3 by not crossing the picket line.
This is palpable nonsense.
Then why would someone on a stage 2 about to trigger a RTU phone in sick to avoid crossing a picket line?
Lose your job or lose a days pay? Difficult choice there ......
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
For those staff who are thinking of not going in to work during a "possible" management strike - you have to ask yourself whether you are really prepared to go unpaid for both their dispute and then our dispute??
I distinctly remember managers going in to work and delivering Specials and parcels when we stood outside at the gates in the last strike. So for that reason I will still be working.
But best of luck to them in their dispute
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.