This. All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA. If you actually look at what the weekly check entails, you'd need another 20 - 30 minutes on your day and I very much doubt many people would even know how to do many of them. Issue is when everybody starts moaning the company are gonna say: You've been doing these checks all along, haven't you?'2yearpostie wrote: ↑23 Feb 2021, 15:49lets be honest most are going to tick the vans ok and just take it out
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PDA van checks
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
Seymour Buts wrote: ↑07 Mar 2021, 07:56All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA. If you actually look at what the weekly check entails, you'd need another 20 - 30 minutes on your day and I very much doubt many people would even know how to do many of them. Issue is when everybody starts moaning the company are gonna say: You've been doing these checks all along, haven't you?'
I agree with your belief that the majority of Drivers simply tick the book without a second thought. However I don't believe a Full Check is likely to take as long as 30 minutes (perhaps 20).
The other day I carried out a proper check on tyres with depth gauge, and tyre pressure gauge.
Again the problem lies with lack of Training .... most Drivers don't even know how to fill out the Driver's Log .... or the fact that various routine checks are laid out at the begining of the Log.
Obviously most Drivers will resent these PDA checks because they see it as "A waste of Time", but that's just the "Salami Slicing Attitude" that comes back to bit them in the ass when they're asked to Do The Job Properly!
I feel we need to treat these PDA checks the same as: COVID restrictions, Touch Point Cleaning, Prepping Households, Taking Meal Breaks, WTLL sessions .... it should all be reflected in your normal days work (and if necessary reflected in Pressure Overtime). Stop WORKING FOR FREE and giving the impression your Duty is workable ... When it's often Not!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
The difference is the info will all be on a computer screen. At the moment a manager has to leave the comfort of their chair and risk the tea going cold whilst have to go and fetch the log book to check. Now they simply have to switch between the solitaire screen to a database without having to move. People will be beaten with this stick.Seymour Buts wrote: ↑07 Mar 2021, 07:56This. All the fuss about this cracked me up. Everytime you tick that box in the log book it's just the same as doing it on a PDA.
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
It's easy to put a stop to box ticking on an electronic system, you just have a countdown clock before you can move on to the next item on the list and set the overall time at 10 min or 20 min.
These systems have internal time stamps and if you're doing a 20 minute van check in 30 seconds management will know straight away.
Whether they'll do anything about it will depend on how far up the chain this data goes.
These systems have internal time stamps and if you're doing a 20 minute van check in 30 seconds management will know straight away.
Whether they'll do anything about it will depend on how far up the chain this data goes.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: PDA van checks
We have a small number of colleagues who have permission to take vans home due to lack of space at work. How will the new van checks affect these employees differently from the current procedure,if it all?
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
In the last year I’ve been given a van that doesn’t lock (the duty holder said ‘I’ve been meaning to get that fixed for a while) and a van where the seat belt wouldn’t clip in - I scroll back a few months and people have been putting it in the defects column....what the hell is the duty holder (and all the others who noted the defect but never PMTd it) playing at?
I’ve a reputation for logging vans off but I’ve a fully clean record, no accidents, no points, no fines, I’m not going to get any now purely because Billybuggerlugs can never spare 5 minutes to get it logged off.
I hope the new system flags up these ridiculous situations and shows a ‘paper’ trail back to those ignoring the checks.
I’ve a reputation for logging vans off but I’ve a fully clean record, no accidents, no points, no fines, I’m not going to get any now purely because Billybuggerlugs can never spare 5 minutes to get it logged off.
I hope the new system flags up these ridiculous situations and shows a ‘paper’ trail back to those ignoring the checks.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
I think you've answered your own question there mate.HTPostman wrote: ↑07 Mar 2021, 12:08In the last year I’ve been given a van that doesn’t lock (the duty holder said ‘I’ve been meaning to get that fixed for a while) and a van where the seat belt wouldn’t clip in - I scroll back a few months and people have been putting it in the defects column....what the hell is the duty holder (and all the others who noted the defect but never PMTd it) playing at?
A lot of Posties believe that if you put a defect in your log book someone else is going to read it .... and do something about it!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Re: PDA van checks
When is this PDA Van check starting ?
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: PDA van checks
Next Monday I think...
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”