ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

peshwaarinaan wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I only started in July. Do I have to be in for 12 months before I can apply to purchase extra A/L? I mentioned it to my DOM yesterday and he said he didn't think I was eligible but would check. Can anyone clarify this for me please?
I believe so, yes. It used to be longer, but 12 months minimum service nowadays is correct I was told by our office admin. I also believe permanent OPG contract may be necessary.
I was given a permanent contract after 12 weeks. If it's a minimum of 12 months service I'll just have to ask to take unpaid leave which amounts to the same thing!

Thanks anyway.
No problem mate. Yes, you will need to find a swap with a colleague or alternatively unpaid leave. It's always worth sticking a note up or putting word round about a swap. especially if you are on the rota (wally week) system. That would only work if you were after 1 week or less. It would also demonstrate to managers you've tried all possible solutions before asking for unpaid leave. If over 1 week then really must go straight to the unpaid leave solution.
The problem is that I am the only one in the office who only works Wednesday to Saturdays. Everyone else does six days and has a rest week after every five weeks. I only know one round (the one I'm on now which is the one I started on) so I don't see how I can ask to swap.

If someone was on rest week could I pay someone who knows my round to cover my shifts?

Found out today that my application to purchase an extra two weeks was successful. Very pleased!
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

peshwaarinaan wrote:Found out today that my application to purchase an extra two weeks was successful. Very pleased!
Happy days. :)

To be clear, new starters get 4.5 weeks leave as standard, plus proportional number of bank holidays according to their working week (4-day week pattern is same as 5-day pattern, maximum quota, up to 3-day week is pro-rata).

POAL allows you to boost that standard leave to six weeks.

So maximum anyone buys (i.e. those who have less than 5 years service), as far as I know, is 1.5 weeks.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:Found out today that my application to purchase an extra two weeks was successful. Very pleased!
Happy days. :)

To be clear, new starters get 4.5 weeks leave as standard, plus proportional number of bank holidays according to their working week (4-day week pattern is same as 5-day pattern, maximum quota, up to 3-day week is pro-rata).

POAL allows you to boost that standard leave to six weeks.

So maximum anyone buys (i.e. those who have less than 5 years service), as far as I know, is 1.5 weeks.
I do a Wednesday to Saturday week so also qualify for a credit for Bank Holiday Mondays so I will have nearly 8 weeks off :Very Happy .
nathanrelay
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Feb 2016, 23:20
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by nathanrelay »

Anybody know how much it is to purchase? Full time 39 hour weeks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

nathanrelay wrote:Anybody know how much it is to purchase? Full time 39 hour weeks
Page 2 of this thread
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
nathanrelay wrote:Anybody know how much it is to purchase? Full time 39 hour weeks
Page 2 of this thread
also better get your skates on, you only have a few days left for this to be put in place for this year
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by Darren Bent »

what happens to 5 days carried forward if I purchase the annual leave. Just checking.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Darren Bent wrote:what happens to 5 days carried forward if I purchase the annual leave. Just checking.
POAL still takes next years leave allowance up to 6 weeks, with your 5 days carried over i.e. 35 days leave for FT
Lduncan
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 Nov 2014, 14:09
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by Lduncan »

Hi can part timers apply? I currently do 25hours a week moving up to 27
Thanks
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Lduncan wrote:Hi can part timers apply? I currently do 25hours a week moving up to 27
Thanks
yes.

The only limitations are the date of application, (you may be too late) and time sered (1 year IIRC).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by peshwaarinaan »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Lduncan wrote:Hi can part timers apply? I currently do 25hours a week moving up to 27
Thanks
yes.

The only limitations are the date of application, (you may be too late) and time sered (1 year IIRC).
TBT I started in July and I was allowed to purchase two weeks.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Purchase of Annual Leave (POAL) (The cut off is the end of February)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

:thumbup
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.