ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

D2Ds and the Environment

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tman wrote:
I have a sign on my door saying No Junk Mail......etc. Yet as a postman, delivering D2Ds,


A postie with a "no junk mail" sign on his own door? :crazy: What's that current cliche on here? "You couldn't make it up" :left:
"Roy Mayall"]At last, someone who agrees with me on this. Junk mail is anything that people do not ask for and which goes straight into the bin. There are a number of euphemisms for it: "unsolicited mail", "unaddressed mail", "d2d", "household" and one I heard on radio 4 this week, "discretionary mail". It's all rubbish and it should be illegal, and whatever Royal Mail or the union say about it, a mail company that relies on it for their profit is failing in its business. We should be starting a campaign to have it banned. If you don't know the name of a person living in a house you shouldn't be shovelling mail through their letterbox. Period. The union should be fighting for a proper living wage for its members without the need to fall back upon this antisocial and environmentally damaging trade.
Poor old Roy. He must live in a perfectly balanced and ordered world for a few sheets of paper through his letter box to cause sooo much personal anguish. Good job he hasn't got anything important to fret over... :roll:
:silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Despite them being a pain in the arse I think we should keep them the reason being as soon as they were banned our deliveries would increase beyond what is planned already.

Can you really see RM saying well you win you have less work but we will pay you the same and keep your hours as they are. Oh and Job and knocks back as well. :left:

When it goes to 5 a week or more - and it will do - I can see the outcry from receivers building, especially if we have it wrapped in plastic and I can see the current Opt out changing to a Opt In at some point.

I also forsee a rise in Opt Outs when we stop being paid for them :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Grinder64
Posts: 245
Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 17:54
Gender: Male

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by Grinder64 »

Roy Mayall wrote:At last, someone who agrees with me on this. Junk mail is anything that people do not ask for and which goes straight into the bin. There are a number of euphemisms for it: "unsolicited mail", "unaddressed mail", "d2d", "household" and one I heard on radio 4 this week, "discretionary mail". It's all rubbish and it should be illegal, and whatever Royal Mail or the union say about it, a mail company that relies on it for their profit is failing in its business. We should be starting a campaign to have it banned. If you don't know the name of a person living in a house you shouldn't be shovelling mail through their letterbox. Period. The union should be fighting for a proper living wage for its members without the need to fall back upon this antisocial and environmentally damaging trade. Read here for more: http://hubpages.com/hub/You-Call-It-Junk-Mail
:Applause :Applause :Applause
You do the work, they get the loot. The men with the smiles and the 3 piece suits.
Big Daz
Posts: 5668
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by Big Daz »

What about all the other papaer based products we use, what about other things we do at work and outside of work that could be classed as being bad for the enviroment.

How many of you have switched to a 100% renewable/Green energy supplier, how many of you are taking steps to reduce you fuel useage, how many of you buy a newspaper.


RML are simply chasing a bigger share of a pre exisiting market, are we seriously suggesting that by increasing/removing the cap the total amount of leaflets floating around the country will suddenly increase?

RM says it only delivers about 25% of the total volume of unaddressed mail items in the United Kingdom.


How about we have a real decline in letter mail then if were so concerned about leaflets impacting upon the enviroment?

The key word is sustaniabilty, RM already encourages this.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/jump ... promo_SME1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by Tman »

Good points Big Daz, but this thread has a subtitle of "I don't like D2Ds so let's think of something negative to say, such as the supposed impact on the environment, aspect".

D2Ds wouldn't be mentioned at all in this way if it was another delivering them rather than RM. :whistle
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by fishtank »

Tman wrote:Good points Big Daz, but this thread has a subtitle of "I don't like D2Ds so let's think of something negative to say, such as the supposed impact on the environment, aspect".

D2Ds wouldn't be mentioned at all in this way if it was another delivering them rather than RM. :whistle

To be fair Tman although nobody likes D2D there are as many posts realising it's a necessary contribution to the workload.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tman wrote:D2Ds wouldn't be mentioned at all in this way if it was another delivering them rather than RM. :whistle
Ummm - They do - nearly every day I see someone putting stuff through doors. Last year 1 guy was delivery small cereal packets .

BTW I deleted your post as it was designed to get a negative reaction. For future reference if I reply :silenced :silenced :silenced to your post it means I disagree or dislike it - in the past whenever I replied or try to engage you in a debate you reply with put downs or complaints so the easiest way to get my point cross is :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced .
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by steven100 »

Yep get ready for 5 d2d daily in packs, its coming our way. In return shorter walks :crazy:
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by Tman »

Ummm - They do - nearly every day I see someone putting stuff through doors. Last year 1 guy was delivery small cereal packets .
{Sigh}
But they woulldn't be mentioned on RMC, would they? :roll: See the point?
BTW I deleted your post as it was designed to get a negative reaction.


No, your post was designed for that, and it worked, so what are you complaining about?

For future reference if I reply :silenced :silenced :silenced to your post it means I disagree or dislike it - in the past whenever I replied or try to engage you in a debate you reply with put downs or complaints so the easiest way to get my point cross is :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced .
You had a point to make? Missed it :wink:
So any time anyone posts something we disagree with, we should reply with nothing more thought-provoking than :silenced :silenced :silenced
Sounds like that'll get boring very quickly....
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by clashcityrocker »

If you are financially in a position to give up the income from D2D's, then you are not in a position to speak for the majority of postmen/women the length and breadth of the country.
There are far too many "gentleman postmen" now.
If you don't want/need the money from D2D then give it to someone in your office who does.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Tman wrote:
Ummm - They do - nearly every day I see someone putting stuff through doors. Last year 1 guy was delivery small cereal packets .
{Sigh}
But they woulldn't be mentioned on RMC, would they? :roll: See the point?
But they are have you not seen the threads and posts complaining about people leaving leaflets hanging out of the doors slowing us down. See the point.

BTW :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced :silenced reply is for when you use put downs to get your point across.

For instance:
Poor old Roy. He must live in a perfectly balanced and ordered world for a few sheets of paper through his letter box to cause sooo much personal anguish. Good job he hasn't got anything important to fret over...
If that's not a put down I do not know what is.

Anyway we are rehasing an old topic and you will never change so I will leave this as my last reply to you on this matter - apart from the :silenced :silenced :silenced of course. :Boo hoo! :Very Happy :Very Happy
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4147
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by Tman »

But they are have you not seen the threads and posts complaining about people leaving leaflets hanging out of the doors slowing us down. See the point.
You've moved the point a long way from where it started, which was the alleged environmental impact of D2Ds, etc etc. and FA to do with the above. Maybe you should reread it to refresh your memory?

For instance:
Poor old Roy. He must live in a perfectly balanced and ordered world for a few sheets of paper through his letter box to cause sooo much personal anguish. Good job he hasn't got anything important to fret over...
If that's not a put down I do not know what is.


Then maybe you don't know. A somewhat dry reply to another post, maybe, but hardly a put-down.
I think, as said in the past, you seem to look for slights wherever and whenever you can, and sure as eggs is eggs, you find them.....
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by clashcityrocker »

TBT and Tman - there appears to be a lot of "chemistry" between you.
Would it not be easier for you two to get a room, while the rest of us discuss D2D issues in this thread?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:TBT and Tman - there appears to be a lot of "chemistry" between you.
Would it not be easier for you two to get a room, while the rest of us discuss D2D issues in this thread?


I think you have your subjects wrong TBT and Tman have a lot of "History" between them. :chuckle :chuckle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: D2Ds and the Environment

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
I think you have your subjects wrong TBT and Tman have a lot of "History" between them. :chuckle :chuckle
Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took.

Join in if you know the chorus.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.