ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New PDA

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
WalkerX
Posts: 432
Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by WalkerX »

The new PDAs are quicker and smaller, but there are still issues with freezing, and delays in the item`s scanning being confirmed, so it`s difficult to know if it has been recorded or not. Noticeably worse today in the rain.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

For those who want to get really technical (such as tech geeks like me):

Zebra TC52x/TC52ax/TC57x Product Spec Sheet
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by par4mrl »

Scan button in the wrong place. Power on button in the wrong place. Auto rotate is very very frustrating. This was a 150 million investment and I’d love to know how many posties were onboard with the trials. This is RM through and through and highlights why they are so far behind over companies in this market.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by ssdd »

par4mrl wrote: ↑
15 Sep 2021, 22:08
Scan button in the wrong place. Power on button in the wrong place. Auto rotate is very very frustrating. This was a 150 million investment and I’d love to know how many posties were onboard with the trials. This is RM through and through and highlights why they are so far behind over companies in this market.
You know, I've kind of gotten over the scan/power button thing now, myself. Was a bit annoying at first. But the auto-rotate? :thumbdown Plus the fact you have to move your finger almost along the full length of the screen! There is another way to access the outdoor delivery screen, but it requires 3 taps. I found that to be just as, if not more, annoying. Don't know if there's any other shortcuts.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

I'm annoyed that the new PDA isn't heavy enough to pound loudly on a customer's door. :evil/mad
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by rambo1 »

It is so light that you'll have a fair chance of catching it when it drops off someones window sill or wheely bin whilst you're filling out a 739. Anyone found out how well they bounce yet? They look and feel like a kids toy. I don't see them lasting too long.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: New PDA

Post by twoloops »

Balanced mine on a rail while I wrote 739 out & it fell about 7 floors down a stair well & survive.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by rubberbond »

rambo1 wrote: ↑
15 Sep 2021, 23:36
It is so light that you'll have a fair chance of catching it when it drops off someones window sill or wheely bin whilst you're filling out a 739. Anyone found out how well they bounce yet? They look and feel like a kids toy. I don't see them lasting too long.
I agree , I think the casing isn’t sturdy enough , the buttons feel very cheaply made, although it did bounce the other day , when I dropped it , they’re as useless as ever in the wet.
ssdd
Posts: 2053
Joined: 06 Sep 2018, 22:39
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by ssdd »

We've got 2 'New PDA' threads...
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Yeah, I see that too.

PDA.jpg

The two threads should be merged, or one closed with a link to the other one that stays open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twoloops
Posts: 2039
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: New PDA

Post by twoloops »

I’ve dumped the strap off mine, gets in the way.
nightcrawler
Posts: 189
Joined: 20 Sep 2018, 17:05
Gender: Male

Re: New PDA

Post by nightcrawler »

twoloops wrote: ↑
16 Sep 2021, 00:24
Balanced mine on a rail while I wrote 739 out & it fell about 7 floors down a stair well & survive.
😂🤣
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Re: New PDA

Post by theargyspy »

Well so much for them being rainproof, they failed the first real downpour since we were issued with them, on delivery on tuesday we had our usual monthly average rainfall come down in one day and new PDA failed miserably... They expect us to work in all weathers, it's a shame the equipment they provide isn't up to the job
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"