ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mick100
Posts: 275
Joined: 04 Feb 2016, 10:00
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by Mick100 »

20 years in the job seems to be getting worse by the day when I'm on the move I'm ok but once I sit down in the evening I walk like a cripple 55 now and feel burnt out can I do another 12 years I just can't see it when I first started 20 years ago absolutely loved the job now it's just making me miserable
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by twoloops »

Dump the Royal Mail footwear & get something decent on you feet, thank me later :nana
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by lisag42 »

mattycash wrote:Dump the Royal Mail footwear & get something decent on you feet, thank me later :nana
Do you not get a telling off for that?

I’m dreading the footwear after the dreadful ones in my last job :sad:
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by rambo1 »

lisag42 wrote:
mattycash wrote:Dump the Royal Mail footwear & get something decent on you feet, thank me later :nana
Do you not get a telling off for that?

I’m dreading the footwear after the dreadful ones in my last job :sad:
You'll need a doctors note to say royal mail footwear are not suitable for your feet. (I don't think they're suitable for anybody's feet to walk 60miles a week in). Look after your feet and your shins, knees, hips and back will thank you in later life.
FAB
Posts: 234
Joined: 06 May 2017, 22:57
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by FAB »

After 30 years I can honestly say it does not get easier! Just more knackering and painful. Can't remember when I was last truly full of energy . Think it was 1988! :nana
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by itinerant »

rambo1 wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
mattycash wrote:Dump the Royal Mail footwear & get something decent on you feet, thank me later :nana
Do you not get a telling off for that?

I’m dreading the footwear after the dreadful ones in my last job :sad:
You'll need a doctors note to say royal mail footwear are not suitable for your feet. (I don't think they're suitable for anybody's feet to walk 60miles a week in). Look after your feet and your shins, knees, hips and back will thank you in later life.
mattycash and rambo are spot on.

I can recommend these https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-s ... e=18301303

I was suffering a lot with RM footwear. I got a doctors note and bought a pair of the above and now have no problem at all. I was worried they were too cheap but they have held up well after 4 months and showing no real sign of wear yet.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by Celgar »

If I am still alive at 60 I will retire then no matter what the retirement ages are then and maybe get a part time job elsewhere to top up. I'm not entirely sure I will make it to 60 though for various reasons. The general stats for posties surviving much beyond current retirement ages are not that good.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by Postie45 »

rambo1 wrote: You'll need a doctors note to say royal mail footwear are not suitable for your feet. (I don't think they're suitable for anybody's feet to walk 60miles a week in). Look after your feet and your shins, knees, hips and back will thank you in later life.
I dont even think you need the dr note anymore
lisag42
Posts: 55
Joined: 05 Apr 2019, 13:23
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by lisag42 »

itinerant wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
lisag42 wrote:
mattycash wrote:Dump the Royal Mail footwear & get something decent on you feet, thank me later :nana
Do you not get a telling off for that?

I’m dreading the footwear after the dreadful ones in my last job :sad:
You'll need a doctors note to say royal mail footwear are not suitable for your feet. (I don't think they're suitable for anybody's feet to walk 60miles a week in). Look after your feet and your shins, knees, hips and back will thank you in later life.
mattycash and rambo are spot on.

I can recommend these https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-s ... e=18301303

I was suffering a lot with RM footwear. I got a doctors note and bought a pair of the above and now have no problem at all. I was worried they were too cheap but they have held up well after 4 months and showing no real sign of wear yet.
They are similar to the ones a I wear outside of work, really comfortable. Will see what the company offering is like, then if they are no good get a Dr note. Flat feet and bad shoes is not a great combo!
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by norris9 »

Celgar wrote:If I am still alive at 60 I will retire then no matter what the retirement ages are then and maybe get a part time job elsewhere to top up. I'm not entirely sure I will make it to 60 though for various reasons. The general stats for posties surviving much beyond current retirement ages are not that good.
Saaaayy Whaaaatttt!

Posties head to an early grave?

No point in paying into a pension then.
Cme12
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 19:31
Gender: Female

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by Cme12 »

Week 6 for me and a few little aches but nothing major, i felt so tired the first few weeks but now i am fine. Wore the royal mail shoes once though and they werent comfy so switched to own trainers.
bardeh
Posts: 42
Joined: 01 Feb 2019, 23:04
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by bardeh »

A big thing aswell, especially now that the weather is getting hotter, is staying hydrated. The days where I don't drink enough water I am absolutely exhausted by the end of the day, whereas if I remember to take enough water with me (two large bottles) I'm much better. The only issue with that is finding somewhere to take a pee halfway through the walk, though...
miles_peters
Posts: 298
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by miles_peters »

Wendy1962 wrote:Into my 2nd week , the respect of have for Posties is sky high I never realized how hard the job is ... I’m a runner so relatively fit .. But after averaging 10miles + a day I’m coming home shattered and aching...
My question is ... does it get easier, or is the tiredness , aching etc permanent and won’t change ( if it doesn’t I would possibly re think my choice of career )
atleast its getting into the hotter weather now. its so much easier in near 80 degree's heat...
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by wacko74 »

Mick100 wrote:20 years in the job seems to be getting worse by the day when I'm on the move I'm ok but once I sit down in the evening I walk like a cripple 55 now and feel burnt out can I do another 12 years I just can't see it when I first started 20 years ago absolutely loved the job now it's just making me miserable
You've done well to get to 55, I'm only 44 and have just the same symptoms, not too bad when I'm on the move, but once I get home and sit down for 10 minutes then try to stand up again it's like my knees and ankles have turned to solid stone!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16711
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Soo tired ... Does it get easier???

Post by clashcityrocker »

You need to stretch before you go out on delivery and again when you finish.
Warm up and warm down - just like you would with any other physical activity.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.