ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

20 hrs missing on payslip

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by superports »

WhiteMoses wrote:Hello girls and boys. I worked really hard last week as I needed some extra money ( soon father to be so I need all the money in the world) . Worked 6 days. The managers told me to come 30 min -45 min earlier than usual ( on rota) as I was double prepping...plus every day at least 2 hours overtime . Just to find out today ( payslip) I was paid normal ( 24 hours / week plus 10 h/ OT....what should I do? Thanks

For a ftse100 company to be relying on signing in and out and noting overtime on a sheet of paper is unbelievable. This is something that belongs to a corner shop outfit. Clock in/out should be in force now, but we all know why it isn't.
WhiteMoses
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Sep 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by WhiteMoses »

So...I'm taking my 20 minutes break now...I went this morning very pissed in the office...and I asked to see the signed sheets for last week as I have 20h missing...in the end...He realized "he did a mistake " and I'm missing 19.48 hours ....f**** sake.after all this another manager came to me asking if I want to work some overtime today...I said no...I'm done working for free...I will not take any overtime until I'll have the missing money in my account...thank you all
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by rambo1 »

WhiteMoses wrote:So...I'm taking my 20 minutes break now...I went this morning very pissed in the office...and I asked to see the signed sheets for last week as I have 20h missing...in the end...He realized "he did a mistake " and I'm missing 19.48 hours ....f**** sake.after all this another manager came to me asking if I want to work some overtime today...I said no...I'm done working for free...I will not take any overtime until I'll have the missing money in my account...thank you all
Good for you mate. Putting your principles before money. Well done. Also, OK, you need the money as you're gonna become a dad soon, but you need to be there to support your partner too, money ain't everything. Good luck with everything.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Well Done for getting it sorted WM. :Applause Bet you feel better for that? Does make you think though, would the DOM have realised his "Mistake" and paid you the money at a later date, IF you hadn't complained about it? :hmmmm DOMs have a book of Dodgy Tricks (I'm sure) and they always try it on with new staff just to see if they can get away with it, I reckon. :no no

They're job isn't that hard, and they've got a lot of time to double check things like Overtime & Holidays. Now he realises you're not an Easy Touch he'll probably book the correct ammount of OT. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by LaggyBand »

You DEFINITELY SHOULDN’T have to do this, buuuuut....

If you are someone they use to do docket then all problems can be solved. Always use as leverage. It’s the only technique that works.

Talking like adults and expecting to be treated fairly, with dignity, and wanting to be paid without hassle for your efforts is fanciful in RM. Stick with what works.

“Yeah mate see I’d love to do that extra loop for you today but I’m owed 20 hours aint I, how deep in the hole we gonna get with it? Am I getting it next week? Defo yeah? If it’s in my payslip Thursday I’ll do that loop Fri/Sat etc.”

“ Look I’ll do this loop to help you out but I need my day off swapping next week for blah de blah as the missus wants to go pram shopping”

Get into the jist of that method and you’ll soon start seeing results.
DrSatan
Posts: 144
Joined: 23 Jun 2017, 19:11
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by DrSatan »

Under paid overtime is far too common within this company. Most of the time I'd like to think its a genuine mistake or error and simply rectified then paid next week pay day. Trouble is, some managers think your pay isn't top of their priority list!

Buying a diary to record worked hours is a must!
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by LaggyBand »

As someone has alluded to, 90% of the time it is because the budget for that week needs to be kept under some prescribed threshold and they’re struggling g to do it, so they go down the list and ask who will complain the least if we miss them out.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by Dorset Plodder »

LaggyBand wrote:You DEFINITELY SHOULDN’T have to do this, buuuuut....

If you are someone they use to do docket then all problems can be solved. Always use as leverage. It’s the only technique that works.

Talking like adults and expecting to be treated fairly, with dignity, and wanting to be paid without hassle for your efforts is fanciful in RM. Stick with what works.

“Yeah mate see I’d love to do that extra loop for you today but I’m owed 20 hours aint I, how deep in the hole we gonna get with it? Am I getting it next week? Defo yeah? If it’s in my payslip Thursday I’ll do that loop Fri/Sat etc.”

“ Look I’ll do this loop to help you out but I need my day off swapping next week for blah de blah as the missus wants to go pram shopping”

Get into the jist of that method and you’ll soon start seeing results.
Totally Agree LB :Applause Sometimes you've got to play Hard Ball. My mate had to go right to the wire recently. They wanted him to come in on a Saturday he said, "Yeah No Problem.... BUT if the overtime I'm owed is not in Fridays wage slip you won't see me". :so there God knows why they try this method of management.... it obviously works with the majority of easy going, less abrasive colleagues? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by superports »

For years my overtime would have been short by a few minutes, anything from 3 up to about 12 minutes, this never bothered me until I realised if they did it to everyone they're making quite a saving. Once I put my foot down and refused to do overtime until my pay was correct, it was never wrong again. Unfortunately too many people let a few minutes slide or don't even check! Stop giving these underhand, devious thieves free work.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by LaggyBand »

superports wrote:For years my overtime would have been short by a few minutes, anything from 3 up to about 12 minutes, this never bothered me until I realised if they did it to everyone they're making quite a saving. Once I put my foot down and refused to do overtime until my pay was correct, it was never wrong again. Unfortunately too many people let a few minutes slide or don't even check! Stop giving these underhand, devious thieves free work.
Your actions got you promoted to the “will cause us trouble” category - “do not dock”.

Enjoy the feeling.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by LaggyBand »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
LaggyBand wrote:You DEFINITELY SHOULDN’T have to do this, buuuuut....

If you are someone they use to do docket then all problems can be solved. Always use as leverage. It’s the only technique that works.

Talking like adults and expecting to be treated fairly, with dignity, and wanting to be paid without hassle for your efforts is fanciful in RM. Stick with what works.

“Yeah mate see I’d love to do that extra loop for you today but I’m owed 20 hours aint I, how deep in the hole we gonna get with it? Am I getting it next week? Defo yeah? If it’s in my payslip Thursday I’ll do that loop Fri/Sat etc.”

“ Look I’ll do this loop to help you out but I need my day off swapping next week for blah de blah as the missus wants to go pram shopping”

Get into the jist of that method and you’ll soon start seeing results.
Totally Agree LB :Applause Sometimes you've got to play Hard Ball. My mate had to go right to the wire recently. They wanted him to come in on a Saturday he said, "Yeah No Problem.... BUT if the overtime I'm owed is not in Fridays wage slip you won't see me". :so there God knows why they try this method of management.... it obviously works with the majority of easy going, less abrasive colleagues? :cuppa
Fantastic technique. We should always attach some clause to working a day off; this need not necessarily be construed as blackmail; I like to see it as a clause that merely affirms what is contractually due anyway - “I’ll work a sat for ya but how about you let me actually book those two days annual leave I’m owed”?
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by ArthurPewty »

I use the 'memo' app on my phone and record all my overtime on it - date, amount of O/T, and any notes (eg if it's extra loops what round it's from etc). I literally do it as I walk out the door after the shift so I don't forget. Total it up for the week and check it against the payslip. I always allow 1 weeks grace it it's wrong, everyone can make a mistake, but if it's not right the next week it's no more O/T til it's right. Funnily enough, as others have said, it's surprising how correct it's been once I put my foot down.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by Dorset Plodder »

superports wrote:For years my overtime would have been short by a few minutes, anything from 3 up to about 12 minutes, this never bothered me until I realised if they did it to everyone they're making quite a saving. Once I put my foot down and refused to do overtime until my pay was correct, it was never wrong again. Unfortunately too many people let a few minutes slide or don't even check! Stop giving these underhand, devious thieves free work.

Quite right SS. When the working week was reduced by an hour last time we had 12 mins a day taken off us. Whenever I was trying to work out my overtime I'd round down the finish time by 10 minutes, just so I didn't run out of fingers! :crazy: So RM were making 10 mins a week out of me. :sad: Now we've had another 12 mins taken off us I was intially just rounding it down to 20 mins (including last years 12 mins). Then I thought "Bugger That it's closer to 25 mins" :shock: So now I round the timings up to 25 mins and I'm starting to claw it back........ one minute at a time. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
WhiteMoses
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Sep 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by WhiteMoses »

Thank you all. I didn't believe all this ( I heard from my colleagues "be careful with the hours...keep an eye on them) until it did happened to me. Is a bit sad such a big company to do dirty things like that. Like someone said is not a corner shop outlet... Lesson learned . I read somewhere that if you have more than 38 hours that week the rest of the hours are paid a bit more? For example they kept my hours under those 38 ...maybe just to not be paid more? That's ridiculous if this is the reason....is like they ( managers)are paying from they own pockets..FFS
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

20 hrs missing on payslip

Post by LaggyBand »

People alway?say “surprising for such a big company” but at the end of the day it’s one bloke trying to keep his job secure / earn more money at the expense of yours.

This will all be solved once PDA tracking is rolled out full swing as originally intended, brought indoors too, sign in / sign out function on PDA, “why are you late” function, pick the option, automatic strike system not requiring human input, automatic logging of overtime through PDA, “you are working beyond your finish time do you wish to continue on overtime yes or no”, integrated with payment system again not requiring human input, goodbye ghost overtime, goodbye deals, goodbye 552...