ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

Post by tommyrep »

A2B wrote:
tommyrep wrote:
fishtank wrote:
tommyrep wrote:What is the real fear in PDA actual ?
Job losses.
How ?
I agree if people continue to not do the job properly, RM will assume that as spare time to utilise. eg, give more work and cut jobs.
Surely, even the current free time workers will realise that. Or am I hoping for too much common sense from them.
The PDA actuals could hi light a true reflection of work load, or am I wrong in assuming that colleagues are being truthful
when they say duty times are too tight at present.?
If people are shirking, it’s hard to defend them to be honest.
Your last sentence tells you how :cuppa
Are you saying PDA actuals are being feared because it may expose shirkers or duty’s that have less workload than others ?
If that is the main reason to fear them, sorry, but I will always welcome the opportunity of fairness in DOs.
We all know the revisions done years ago were unbalanced. Geo route was far from perfect.
So, I will repeat if the fear of PDA actuals is because it will expose the few, I would support them in defence of the many.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

Post by tommyrep »

clashcityrocker wrote:
tommyrep wrote:What is the real fear in PDA actual ?
That it will only be used to target certain individuals and rather than lead to less bullying in the workplace it will lead to more.
Or they could provide information that a good rep could utilise to protect the certain individuals you mention.
I agree if it is allowed to become a tool for abuse by DOMs they are to be feared.
I am not a huge fan of them but where have years of grievances gotten us ?
Using the PDA actuals could, and I say that loosely, provide information of value to improve fairness in DOs.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

Post by fishtank »

When the PDA becomes stationary a little spinning circle appears on the PDA actuals dashboard, the longer the PDA is stationary the larger the circle grows. Big circles bad- little circles good but I digress....

The problem with using PDA outputs and why it should be feared is that it will be used to identify savings not on an individual basis because that's too confrontational and bordering on hard work. What they'll far more likely try is an office wide approach.

"We've looked at the actuals and on average you're all finishing 10 minutes early so that's 20 hrs we're going to remove from the indoor operation and you can all leave the office 10 minutes later."

Much easier, less messy, job done.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
woofwoof
Posts: 1516
Joined: 13 Apr 2007, 16:23
Gender: Male
Location: stinky land

re: PDA actuals vs Quality of Service

Post by woofwoof »

Decky Boy wrote:
postslippete wrote:Apparently PDAs are the "game changer" that are used to monitor posties i.e. find out when they are starting and finishing and their actual spans and whether the planned route had been followed. This can then be used to perhaps increase ad-hoc lapsing or work out staff overtime. Surely the PDAs primary objective is to simply scan barcodes and provide customers with delivery information in real time ?
Please cite your source for the above comment... thanks in advance...
Ask about final mile optimization