ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

PDA's constantly logging off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by joewyan »

Tomolo208 wrote:If someone else logs in using your details (to a different PDA) then it logs you out of the one you're using.
Quite right, only you should be logging on using your details otherwise you could be responsible for someone scanning something in your name.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by toomuchcoke »

crimson king wrote:Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.
Go into navigation and select "cancel destination" (it might be called something else like "clear route" but it's pretty obviously "stop navigating to wherever I told you to" whatever it says). It'll still chirp up if you break the speed limit, but other than that it'll shut up.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Xr4 »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
Celgar wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:I have noticed if you scan something and turn the screen off using the power button before it come up on the screen. It will crash every time.
Why would you do that unless by accident. The main thing to remember is to wait for the second beep before interacting further with the PDA screen. Otherwise you might think the item has been scanned when it hasn't. This is probably the top reason for items not being scanned and then we get into trouble.
Put it in my pocket to free my hand. Until they answer the door or it frees a hand to write the p739 out. And turning the screen off makes sure it don't press random buttons in my pocket.
Same here, it's too easy to press delivered. Should have to press a button twice or something
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Kings Norton »

They are rubbish the sat nav keeps going off on mine doing my head in. It was alright at first i looked after it then I was on leave a runner got hold of it broke the screen in smithereens, you would swear Uri Geller done my walk that week he bent every key for the flats as well. its crashing 3 times day on me, sick of it
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

I find mine very easy to use. Its not the fault of the PDA but of the people using it, some people cant use modern tech.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by wacko74 »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:I find mine very easy to use. Its not the fault of the PDA but of the people using it, some people cant use modern tech.
What a strange thing to say... just about all the issues highlighted here are due to faults and glitches with the pda and its software and nothing at all to do with someone's ability to use modern tech.
itinerant
Posts: 156
Joined: 16 Sep 2017, 17:54
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by itinerant »

crimson king wrote:Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.

The best, and only sugggestion I've got so far from a colleague when it happens is to turn the volume down so you can't hear it.

And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something? What's that all about?

The other screen I get regularly is a list of dummy 01, dummy 02, etc

I'm a bit of a nerd and love gadgets but I really dislike my PDA.
The only way I know to deal with the annoying Navigator app is to perform a PDA reset which is annoying but far less annoying than spending hours on a walk with the bloody thing loudly announcing directions every minute or so which happened to me in my first week and I didnt know then how to switch it off or turn it down. With everything else I was dealing with as a new postie that was the last thing I needed!! :arrrghhh
mattjo1@talktalk.net
Posts: 93
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 21:11
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by mattjo1@talktalk.net »

wacko74 wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:I find mine very easy to use. Its not the fault of the PDA but of the people using it, some people cant use modern tech.
What a strange thing to say... just about all the issues highlighted here are due to faults and glitches with the pda and its software and nothing at all to do with someone's ability to use modern tech.
Yes it is the average IQ of an OPG is very low.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Interested-seeker »

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:
wacko74 wrote:
mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:I find mine very easy to use. Its not the fault of the PDA but of the people using it, some people cant use modern tech.
What a strange thing to say... just about all the issues highlighted here are due to faults and glitches with the pda and its software and nothing at all to do with someone's ability to use modern tech.
Yes it is the average IQ of an OPG is very low.
How rude. By the way, you should have put a comma in that sentence.

The PDAs do need improvement. The PDA that I use crashes and shuts down on a daily basis.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Jpro747 »

POSTMAN wrote:You're all wrong, now stop whinging and just get on with it...
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2018/04/pdas-progress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone from MRM who does not have a clue wrote:Last month marked one year since we completed the rollout of our Royal Mail PDAs.

There are now 80,000 connected devices in use across the UK and your feedback has been fantastic.

According to you, the new device is far more efficient and is much more flexible than its predecessor. There is an improved battery life, the device is lighter, it can be easily updated and the software used is set up so that developments can be added quickly and easily in the future.

After getting through the busy Christmas period without any issues, we are now looking towards some key developments for the devices in the coming months.

Going forward

The potential of our PDA device is great and we’re working hard on implementing some important changes, which will improve the service we offer. So far, we’ve only scratched the surface.

The new PDAs have made us a more professional and consistent company. They are helping us deliver an even greater quality of service – and will continue to do so in the future.
What a load of tripe! They never asked me what i thought of them! Does anyone know the contact number of the team who design and make these machines so we tell them what we REALLY think?
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12199
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Jpro747 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:You're all wrong, now stop whinging and just get on with it...
https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2018/04/pdas-progress" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone from MRM who does not have a clue wrote:Last month marked one year since we completed the rollout of our Royal Mail PDAs.

There are now 80,000 connected devices in use across the UK and your feedback has been fantastic.

According to you, the new device is far more efficient and is much more flexible than its predecessor. There is an improved battery life, the device is lighter, it can be easily updated and the software used is set up so that developments can be added quickly and easily in the future.

After getting through the busy Christmas period without any issues, we are now looking towards some key developments for the devices in the coming months.

Going forward

The potential of our PDA device is great and we’re working hard on implementing some important changes, which will improve the service we offer. So far, we’ve only scratched the surface.

The new PDAs have made us a more professional and consistent company. They are helping us deliver an even greater quality of service – and will continue to do so in the future.
What a load of tripe! They never asked me what i thought of them! Does anyone know the contact number of the team who design and make these machines so we tell them what we REALLY think?
The hardware side seems to be standard, there's loads of companies that are using them. if people have got trouble with whatevr coming up whilst it's on your pocket, why not just lock the screen?
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by crimson king »

toomuchcoke wrote:
crimson king wrote:Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.
Go into navigation and select "cancel destination" (it might be called something else like "clear route" but it's pretty obviously "stop navigating to wherever I told you to" whatever it says). It'll still chirp up if you break the speed limit, but other than that it'll shut up.
Nice one, cheers, I'll give it a go :thumbup
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by crimson king »

mike_mlc wrote:
crimson king wrote:Does anyone know how to turn the bloody navigator off after it randomly turns on in your pocket and starts directing you as you're walking around? I can switch screens to do what I want it to do, but the navigator still runs in the background and I can't get rid of it and it's there
until i log out at the end of the shift.

The best, and only sugggestion I've got so far from a colleague when it happens is to turn the volume down so you can't hear it.

And has anyone ever used that memo function thats also appeared from nowhere when you try to scan something? What's that all about?

The other screen I get regularly is a list of dummy 01, dummy 02, etc

I'm a bit of a nerd and love gadgets but I really dislike my PDA.
The only way I know to deal with the annoying Navigator app is to perform a PDA reset which is annoying but far less annoying than spending hours on a walk with the bloody thing loudly announcing directions every minute or so which happened to me in my first week and I didnt know then how to switch it off or turn it down. With everything else I was dealing with as a new postie that was the last thing I needed!! :arrrghhh
Yep, tried that too, but that sense of dread when it then wants all your details and wants you to log in like you're at you're frame and can scan the barcode...

Which is why I now always take a pic of the barcodes before leaving....
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Bboingg
Posts: 69
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by Bboingg »

Only way I have found to turn off the 'battery draining' Navigation is to take the battery out , reinsert, and log back in - the delivery&collection route seem to be retained though.
Does anybody know another way?
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

PDA's constantly logging off

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

I think the main problem is not the PDA its the system it just cannot handle the amount of stuff we he are expected to scan even those Chinese things with an item in it worth 99p have to be scanned now so that they get paid for them' what was happening before were we just doing them for free its just getting crazy :crazy: