ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Non drivers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by Chewster »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Chewster wrote:Most drivers loops in my office are shorter. But really, it's not like being the driver is any harder. And what about those of us who get shifted from duty to duty?
It's not like being the driver is any harder but we've ourselves paid for a skill that Royal Mail needs and during the working day are at risk of prosecution for road traffic offences and points on our license that could increase the cost of insurance. :thumbdown
And non-drivers sharing a van could ask themselves whether they would rather be out on their own pushing a high capacity trolley. :arrrghhh
We've ourselves paid for a skill by our own choice, I doubt there's anyone here that went and got a licence specifically for Royal Mail. And we're only at risk of prosecution and points if we don't follow the rules of the road...same as driving your own car in your own time...
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Non drivers

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Chewster wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
Chewster wrote:Most drivers loops in my office are shorter. But really, it's not like being the driver is any harder. And what about those of us who get shifted from duty to duty?
It's not like being the driver is any harder but we've ourselves paid for a skill that Royal Mail needs and during the working day are at risk of prosecution for road traffic offences and points on our license that could increase the cost of insurance. :thumbdown
And non-drivers sharing a van could ask themselves whether they would rather be out on their own pushing a high capacity trolley. :arrrghhh
We've ourselves paid for a skill by our own choice, I doubt there's anyone here that went and got a licence specifically for Royal Mail. And we're only at risk of prosecution and points if we don't follow the rules of the road...same as driving your own car in your own time...
No, some learnt to drive in case it was needed for employment and don't have a car of their own.
HarryPoorer
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by HarryPoorer »

It's the stress of driving and risking our clean license we should be paid more for.
edo4442
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59

Non drivers

Post by edo4442 »

And dont forget, if you have an accident, you need to let your insurance company know, therefore has potential to increase your car insurance. And, the lovely van check every day, that they have not built into our duty time in our office. And, getting hit with all the oversized parcels to deliver, and the passengers parcels because they cant be arsed using a trolly, oh and going back to the DO yourself to empty the van, because the passenger finishes in the street, all my driver loops ARE longer than the passengers, the third degree you get when you do have an accident, and the threat of the conduct code ... - I could go on, and on.

UPS pay their drivers £14 per hour, and you get full time hours, food for thought !
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by blakeyboy »

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the wage I'm on but I genuinely feel I should be on more for driving than a non driver is
edo4442
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59

Non drivers

Post by edo4442 »

dfubster wrote:But surely UPS only pay £14 an hour for HGV/LGV drivers?
No, all you need is a normal driving license with 0 penalty points.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by Chewster »

I completely disagree with all of your points about being paid more but lets not dwell on that. I'd still like to know, what would you suggest for those of us who are sometimes on a driving duty and sometimes aren't? Should we get paid more for just having done our van assessment? Or should we write on our docket "DRIVER" ?
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Non drivers

Post by ej88 »

This annoys the life out of me.
The driver is expected to do van checks daily/weekly check, deliver all the big parcels the walker can't or WONT take in their bag!
And run around doing the specials that they wouldn't make in time...
And only one loop is slightly shorter on the duty I do - just enough time to sort the van into some sort of order.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by Chewster »

dfubster wrote:
edo4442 wrote:
dfubster wrote:But surely UPS only pay £14 an hour for HGV/LGV drivers?
No, all you need is a normal driving license with 0 penalty points.
You've not got a link have you as the only vacancies I've found are £10.36 per hour, rising to £12.74, (or a few pence difference) this is with a C1 licence (7.5 tonne)
BTW I'm not trying to call you out on this, I'm genuinely interested at getting a position with UPS!
I'm sure I've seen UPS job ads in the past offering the £10-12 odd for a normal licence, though I think you had to have held it for so long in order to apply...could be wrong on that
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by fishtank »

ej88 wrote:This annoys the life out of me.
The driver is expected to do van checks daily/weekly check, deliver all the big parcels the walker can't or WONT take in their bag!
And run around doing the specials that they wouldn't make in time...
And only one loop is slightly shorter on the duty I do - just enough time to sort the van into some sort of order.
So does the "walker" finish earlier than you and if so why?
I love doing all the van checks, delivering all the big parcels and all the specials because it's the easiest part of the job, if I could do 4 hours of that it would be a wonderful job. If I wasn't doing that I would be walking even longer.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by daveyeff »

our duty has been planned so that the passenger (me) has larger loops, giving the driver time to scurry off and do some large packets/reggies etc after he finishes his loops which is sometimes 20mins less than mine. depending on which partner ive got, sometimes the driver will take part of my loops so we finish at the same time, then we go and do the large packets/reggies together. works for us and we are happy with the arrangement. many at our office do the same.
ej88
Posts: 25
Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 00:20
Gender: Female

Non drivers

Post by ej88 »

It does just depend on who you are on with but yes quite alot the non driver will actually be standing about waiting on you getting back from doing parcels - some of them don't even bother looking at the specials n rely on the driver saying you've got a special you could take on this loop! It obviously differs in other offices but when it's like that and the driver has their own loops, parcels and specials to do, I think they should get a driver supplement.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by Kings Norton »

Drivers has the stress of dealing with a different route everyday where as the walker does the same thing day in day out and takes the piss trying to give the driver little boxes like a size of a cadburys milk tray box. Personally I would get rid of non drivers...
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by daveyeff »

typical self centred old school driver patter. there are singleton driving duties in our office that are firms only. don't get D2Ds and only deliver to businesses. they are in the house for 11 o clock Saturday mornings. would you get rid of that lot also.?
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

Non drivers

Post by enskied »

Kings Norton wrote:Drivers has the stress of dealing with a different route everyday where as the walker does the same thing day in day out and takes the piss trying to give the driver little boxes like a size of a cadburys milk tray box. Personally I would get rid of non drivers...
Even if you get rid of non drivers you would still have a non driver as a partner. Only one member of a team is desicnated the Driver, and usually chooses that option themselves when signing for a duty. Petty arguements like this between co-workers is why we never get anything constructive done about our working conditions or workload.