ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van use on break

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by delfranklin1969 »

Not thought about this before but sometimes I work in an office in the town where my mum lives and I have gone off route to take my comfort break at hers, is this allowed???
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Van use on break

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

delfranklin1969 wrote:Not thought about this before but sometimes I work in an office in the town where my mum lives and I have gone off route to take my comfort break at hers, is this allowed???
Strictly speaking you shouldn't for 2 reasons, the toilet stops needs to be made official, and you are technically off route. But in most sensible cases nothing would be made of it. I would suggest making it an official welfare stop though, just in case.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by postslippete »

Some duties in our office have designated "comfort breaks"


I don't see anything wrong with using the toilet at someone's house if its nearby either; particularly if the alternative means driving back to the depot and back out on delivery takes you well over time.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
delfranklin1969
Posts: 83
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by delfranklin1969 »

Yeah I see your point, not something I have thought of before tbh, however sometimes I have done some lapsing at the cul de sac where my mum lives so that would be ok I assume as I would not be technically off route.
southcoastpat
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Jan 2010, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by southcoastpat »

What about the "nip down to maccy d's for me please or on your way back in can you get me some fags/milk/newspaper etc" which is what happens in our mc.
It seems that some "off route" things are ok with managers but then they tell you in WTLL that we must save fuel whenever possible :shhhhh
ThatsNotPlumb
Posts: 165
Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by ThatsNotPlumb »

I've drove off route to go use a toilet & to go get sandwich occassionally. Neither have been massively out of the way but still off route none the less as neither places are calls on the delivery. Wonder what they'd prefer, having me drive off route to use a toilet in their van or risk being caught pissing in someones bushes but of course remaining on route. :hmmmm
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by dave72 »

I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? :nervous
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by datasaint »

dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? :nervous
What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Van use on break

Post by Pinky 1 »

norm wrote:
dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? :nervous
What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.
...... or if you have an RTA on the way back, how do you explain that to the Plod or your manager ?
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Van use on break

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Pinky 1 wrote:
norm wrote:
dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? :nervous
What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.
...... or if you have an RTA on the way back, how do you explain that to the Plod or your manager ?
The van holds the road better with some 'ballast' in the back. :nana :nana :thumbup :cuppa
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by toomuchcoke »

PHARRY wrote:
unhappyCumbria wrote:He won't be able to do that for much longer, once those nice lil tracker devices get fitted in the vans :shhhhh :no no
There are no trackers being fitted at all
At least one of the 14 plate Fiats at my office has a sticker below the latch on the drivers door frame saying "This vehicle is fitted with TVG equipment". I noticed it one day as I was getting it, so looked at the web address given on said sticker. The Vehicle Group has several product lines, however given we don't have reversing cameras, driving cameras, sideways blindspot sensors or "engine run without a key" fitted I'd guess it was their telemetry system that's installed?
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by dave72 »

norm wrote:
dave72 wrote:I collect pallets for my wood burner from a farm on my delivery and take them home (van on retention) this can't be frowned upon, surely? :nervous
What if a member of the public sees you and reports your van for suspected theft of pallets. If RM wanted to get funny they could say you are bringing their reputation into disrepute.
Nobody can see me doing it, I pull in to a barn and the farmer helps me load them up haha

Might have a word with my line manager :hmmmm
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Van use on break

Post by datasaint »

dave72 wrote: Nobody can see me doing it, I pull in to a barn and the farmer helps me load them up haha
When you unload them at home? Nosy neighbour or passer-by all it takes is one phonecall.