Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use.aiden01 wrote:has already been offered a days leaveBahia Feliz wrote:Ask if you can use the day in lieu you will get for Jan 1st to offset Xmas eve! Simples?Alpha1 wrote:
This year we have a diligent new DOM who has asked me (indirectly) to either come in early, or take a day's leave. If I didn't want this then I am to sacrifice a day of my pre-booked holiday in between the Christmas/new year which I have long since made plans to spend with my family.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
Bahia Feliz wrote:Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use.
-
Alpha1
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 04 Dec 2014, 10:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
Thanks everyone for the interesting replies. I was hoping there was a silver bullet solution to this problem that I hadn't already figured, but it seems not. I forgot to mention that any other year, this anomaly is compounded with New Year's Eve which is exactly the same. Historically, I would come in early, do the firms collection on either CE or NYE, alternating. This year I already have NYE booked off. But this will occur next year. I would be nice to solve this 'officially' and amicably, so I'm not always looking over my shoulder (so-to-speak) every time Christmas comes around.
In response to some of your replies:
"The early start might be viewed as a "Reasonable" request, however considering the time of year, I would stress the problems of Childcare." I think they know this. I was asked Friday (20th) and they need my answer ASAP. Is that reasonable?
"To be honest, if it was me I would take it as a days leave. Most posties if they had the choice,would be happy to have Christmas eve off and take it as annual leave. I agree with the previous poster that its a bit much to just not turn up and still expect to be paid for it even though you've got away with it in the past. Good luck." - I must stress I am not trying to get something for nothing, and I don't want to queer my pitch with the managers or my colleagues, but on the other hand I'm not a charity either. Being asked to take a day's leave is as unreasonable as not turning up and being paid, surely? With regard the few times I have not turned up, I suspect it was just easier for my previous DOM's to turn a blind-eye, and I perhaps saw it as a little perk for doing the 'odd job' that nobody else wanted, extra responsibility for locking up late at night, etc. etc.
"Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use." - you're right, I don't have any more annual leave left, nor want to lose time with my new family.
I think I'll clarify just what they expect me to do on CE and see whether I can get someone to babysit. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Thanks again all, and have a great Christmas and New Year!
In response to some of your replies:
"The early start might be viewed as a "Reasonable" request, however considering the time of year, I would stress the problems of Childcare." I think they know this. I was asked Friday (20th) and they need my answer ASAP. Is that reasonable?
"To be honest, if it was me I would take it as a days leave. Most posties if they had the choice,would be happy to have Christmas eve off and take it as annual leave. I agree with the previous poster that its a bit much to just not turn up and still expect to be paid for it even though you've got away with it in the past. Good luck." - I must stress I am not trying to get something for nothing, and I don't want to queer my pitch with the managers or my colleagues, but on the other hand I'm not a charity either. Being asked to take a day's leave is as unreasonable as not turning up and being paid, surely? With regard the few times I have not turned up, I suspect it was just easier for my previous DOM's to turn a blind-eye, and I perhaps saw it as a little perk for doing the 'odd job' that nobody else wanted, extra responsibility for locking up late at night, etc. etc.
"Yes but the days leave already offered might have to come out of a whole weeks leave if the op hasn't got any odd days to use." - you're right, I don't have any more annual leave left, nor want to lose time with my new family.
I think I'll clarify just what they expect me to do on CE and see whether I can get someone to babysit. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Thanks again all, and have a great Christmas and New Year!
-
redman
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 12 Sep 2007, 15:35
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
When you read some of the posters on this forum it would appear that they believe it's some sort of charitable organisation, not just Alpha1 but anyone who bleats about problems and expects RM to provide a solution.redman wrote:Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16726
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
My day off falls on xmas day.
Shouldn't I be paid double time?
Shouldn't I be paid double time?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
OnAFlyer
- Posts: 1938
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Christmas Eve Working: advice please.
Exactly. A fair compromise would be you either take a days leave (99% of RM staff would love the chance) or go in and work full hours like everyone else.redman wrote:Why? To do half hours and get fully paid isn't fair to your colleagues, just because you have got away with it in the past doesn't make it right. I think they have been reasonable offering you a days leave.Alpha1 wrote:. I feel a fair compromise would be to do half my normal hours, but still be paid fully.
Hell I'd swap two days leave to get Christmas Eve off.