Little anecdote on this subject. Joined RM as part time postie in Jan 2014 - 25 hours per week, 6 month contract, after 30 years in the private sector in fairly senior roles. To say that I was shocked to the core about the way that RM run their business, the style of management and attitude to employees , would be an understatement.
I was fortunate in my early days that I got put on a P & L round with a decent postie. I stayed there for 5 months as the regular postie was long term sick. (v lucky). Made the mistake of taking a summer holiday (although had to fight for that, and threaten to email Moya), came back to be put on a round I'd never seen before, nobody avail to give me a few pointers when I asked, struggled around, finished 90 mins over. Next day, different round, one of the lads was kind enough to give me a few pointers re running order, and parking spots. Next day, another different round, not prepped, no help avail, lino walked away as I remonstrated with him, saying not his problem. When I was ready to go about 90 mins after everybody had left. Office tells me the only vehicle left has a bald tyre - but would be fine if I took it easy
I refused, then lino comes out inspects vehicle, and tries to show me that the tread was legal (it wasn't). He again said not my problem and walked away. I could then feel my hands reaching out strangle this ignorant young Fokker (he'd be about 23) as he walked off. I sat in the van for 5 mins to cool down, then thought bollokks - not taking this. Marched back into the office, and I'm ashamed to say blew my top and used some very industrial and unprofessional language. Needless to say I quit on the spot and never returned, telling the young scrote in time ordered fashion where to stick the mail
Moral of my particular story - the culture, and most of the people that I encountered in my short time at RM, don't give a flying you know what. Any newbies reading this, ensure that you stand up for yourself, challenge everything, and identify the good guys (there are some), because if you don't you'll find it a pretty negative and dispiriting experience. The job for what it's worth is not actually that bad
Good luck to all the good posties, will certainly make a point of looking after my postie from now on - they really do put up with a lot of shiit.
Marty