clashcityrocker wrote:An introduction to the union (by the union) should form part of the induction for a newstart and an introduction to the unit rep should occur on the first day.
I did have this at my induction down at Bristol, there was about 15 of us and only 4 or 5 took the form. The CWU rep was a bit embarrassed when somebody said "I want to be in the union but not donate to Labour." he said that would be OK, then realized he didn't have the new forms that allowed opt-out of the political levy. Poor guy. He seemed a bit shocked to find that some areas of England weren't predominantly populated by Labour voters.....
I did tell him I would join but not pay money to Labour, and I kept my word when I started at my DO and filled the newer form in with an added opt-out.
It turned out after my accident that it was the best thing I ever did, and while I am at RM I will always be proud to be a member.
Whatever your political beliefs, in this job we need unity and (unlike sedentary or low-risk jobs) with the added potential for physical injuries/accidents, stress and and B&H at some sites you'd be unwise not to join.