ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

overtime...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16729
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: overtime...

Post by clashcityrocker »

spoodoo wrote:We all need to stand together , no point saying I cannot afford it ,nobody can ,,,
Yes .....but some can not afford it more than others.
Unless those on f/t contracts are going to give some money to their striking p/t colleagues?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: overtime...

Post by BingBong »

thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............
If we don't all stand together we will end up on less hours in the long run or even possibly jobless!
Toon Army!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: overtime...

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............

I'll be stunned, flabbergasted and amazed if there is an Overtime Ban, get the docket in like a squirrel and store it up for the bad times that are fast approaching.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
north london driver
Posts: 560
Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by north london driver »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............

I'll be stunned, flabbergasted and amazed if there is an Overtime Ban, get the docket in like a squirrel and store it up for the bad times that are fast approaching.
october or november if they do the right ballot.overtime ban you can forget to many greedy bastards willing to do
duties for less hours, as for dockets they dont exist anymore as this names the managers bail out boys.
and has our union ever been fast approaching on anything.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: overtime...

Post by Darren Bent »

We need to do something which will hit Royal Mail without hurting our pay.
tyfc
Posts: 35
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 19:57

Re: overtime...

Post by tyfc »

I would agree to an overtime ban, if we go on strike we get no pay at all, full time or part time. Some money each week is better than no money at all.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12208
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by SpacePhoenix »

tyfc wrote:I would agree to an overtime ban, if we go on strike we get no pay at all, full time or part time. Some money each week is better than no money at all.
An overtime ban would be just as effective as most if not all MCs and DOs rely on overtime to clear
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by fishtank »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
tyfc wrote:I would agree to an overtime ban, if we go on strike we get no pay at all, full time or part time. Some money each week is better than no money at all.
An overtime ban would be just as effective as most if not all MCs and DOs rely on overtime to clear
People need to get an overtime ban out of their heads,It isn't going to happen.

Apart from being unworkable,impossible to police and unfair on part-time staff it just doesn't have the effect that people imagine it will.

Our office has a core budget of around 4,000 hours per week and a pressure overtime spend of around 200 hrs...that's only 5%. so to say the office relies on overtime is pushing it a bit.

3 or 4 agency staff would cover that and although it's unlawful to supply agency workers to replace striking staff that obviously does not apply to an overtime ban so you could expect Royal Mail to simply replace the hours we refused to do with casual resource at very little cost to the business.

Overtime bans can work in conjunction with a strike but only in limited circumstances but they do absolutely nothing on their own.

If you are preparing for battle get your full on war face sorted,lets not pretend this can be sorted with a gentle slap on the face.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
tyfc
Posts: 35
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 19:57

Re: overtime...

Post by tyfc »

thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............
So when we are on strike you will cross the picket line because you can't afford to work without overtime, when we are privatised there will be no overtime any way so maybe you need to find a full time job then?
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: overtime...

Post by Darren Bent »

It is not good time for job hunting anyway. I would prefer to wait and see what happens and hope there will be a very good EVR package to offer after getting little windfall from sale, bonus (if there is one), backdated pay and xmas. We don't know what will happens in next 6 months anyway. New employers could be very good for us but we doesn't know yet.
llcoolh
Posts: 129
Joined: 05 Nov 2012, 08:58
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by llcoolh »

thecompletepackage wrote:I have a 25 hour contract and tend to work around 40-45 hours a week. I cannot afford to take part in an overtime ban. I live on overtime. I want a full-time contract but asking for one for the last four years just falls on deaf ears, both from the CWU & RM.


I agree with you same problem here. If I am lucky one day and get full-time position I would not bother to do over-time anymore.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by hampshireman »

tyfc wrote:
thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............
So when we are on strike you will cross the picket line because you can't afford to work without overtime, when we are privatised there will be no overtime any way so maybe you need to find a full time job then?
Maybe the OPG would like an FT position (within or outside RM). Are you not being a little bit harsh?

All he is saying is that he cannot afford to not work. I would not be overly critical.

BTW: I am PT ; and do not even get offered Overtime .. but I would not cross a picket line to make up my hours.
thecompletepackage
Posts: 79
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 21:28
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by thecompletepackage »

tyfc wrote:
thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............
So when we are on strike you will cross the picket line because you can't afford to work without overtime, when we are privatised there will be no overtime any way so maybe you need to find a full time job then?
Yes I would like a full-time position at RM and have been asking for one for the last four years. And thanks for the support, this is why I don't give a flying f**k about 'supporting' fellow workers when I get shafted by colleagues, RM & CWU week-in week-out.

And as you say when we ARE privatised there'll be no more overtime, so I might as well cross a picket line and earn as much cash as I can before the inevitable.

My family comes first, not my work collegues who don't care about me.
spoodoo
Posts: 829
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: overtime...

Post by spoodoo »

The future,,,
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: overtime...

Post by maisymoo04 »

thecompletepackage wrote:
tyfc wrote:
thecompletepackage wrote:Well, I can't afford to take part in an overtime ban on a 25 hour contract, so I won't be..............
So when we are on strike you will cross the picket line because you can't afford to work without overtime, when we are privatised there will be no overtime any way so maybe you need to find a full time job then?
Yes I would like a full-time position at RM and have been asking for one for the last four years. And thanks for the support, this is why I don't give a flying f**k about 'supporting' fellow workers when I get shafted by colleagues, RM & CWU week-in week-out.

And as you say when we ARE privatised there'll be no more overtime, so I might as well cross a picket line and earn as much cash as I can before the inevitable.

My family comes first, not my work collegues who don't care about me.

:Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"