ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Drunk on Duty

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by DGP1 »

mazza111 wrote:If the manager in our office had to suspend everyone who ever came in drunk there wouldn't be a lot there. I did it myself one day, on a Friday, had a skin full of ouzo the night before, the coffee I had when I got to work was enough to make me pissed again. Never drank ouzo since then!!!!

What's worrying though, is the amount of drivers who come in with drink on their breath. And I actually brought that up when the P&L was originally mentioned. They told us, if we suspected that someone had been drinking the night before, we had to grass them up basically. But how many of us would feel comfortable doing that to a colleague, the other choice would be getting into a van with him driving. It's a scary thought really.

So glad I got out when i did :)
I would report them to the police............no sympathy from me for drink drivers..........ever.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by Ossie From Preston »

Our second in command use to be Warped with drink every morning and drove 8 miles a day, I once mentioned it to him he replied " No cops out at the hour I leave for work" the smell of his breath was bad man.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by krussel »

Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by dvbuk55 »

krussel wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
I live literally a 2/3 minute drive from work and have been pulled by the police twice..............as a tea totaller it has never worried me but they must just be bored.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72754
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
I live literally a 2/3 minute drive from work and have been pulled by the police twice..............as a tea totaller it has never worried me but they must just be bored.

I've been stopped by the Police 3 times and I walk into work.. :crazy:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
I live literally a 2/3 minute drive from work and have been pulled by the police twice..............as a tea totaller it has never worried me but they must just be bored.

I've been stopped by the Police 3 times and I walk into work.. :crazy:
That I can understand BUT I look like a fine upstanding citizen :chuckle :chuckle
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Three days and twenty replies and nobody's reminded us of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCeubq_WXg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :crazy:
royalmailslave
Posts: 126
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 17:09
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by royalmailslave »

Our office has more than its fair share of piss pots,I've even seen blokes who have turned to drink through the stresses of te job,a large majority of our office piss cans are also drivers,and as long as they could fulfil there duties managers didn't give a toss,I refused to get into a van with a well known heavy drinker in our office as I believed he was over the limit only to har a blazing row with the line manager at which he basically made me get in the van or I'd be disciplined,our workplace sometimes disgusts me
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by OnAFlyer »

postypie wrote:I remember some years ago there was a gentleman who worked in our office who was an alcoholic ...staff new it,he knew it..the managers ignored it mostly....many times this chap would come to work as drunk as a skunk...managers at the time would see him literally collapsing sometimes as he tried to throw his walk out...sometimes he was told to go home as he was that far gone...but many a time he was sent out drunk on deliveries by managers(especially when we were short on staff)..sadly this guy met his end a few years ago when he stepped off a bus (drunk) and fell..cracking his head against the pavement...perhaps managers at the time could and should have done more,but this happened some years ago like i said so i think gaffers are probably more clued up on these things nowadays..sad to see him go as he was a character and a nice chap when he was sober..
Sounds like a guy who used to work in our office, he'd be so out of it on a saturday that he'd go straight home to bed then take his delivery out on Sunday (he lived on his walk).

He did that for years and actually got ill health retirement in the end.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by OnAFlyer »

dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
I live literally a 2/3 minute drive from work and have been pulled by the police twice..............as a tea totaller it has never worried me but they must just be bored.
I've been stopped by police doing spot checks at xmas, they saw the uniform and let me straight through.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by bunkerland »

OnAFlyer wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
krussel wrote:
Ossie From Preston wrote:No cops out at the hour I leave for work"
Not around my way i see more on the way to work than any other time :shock:
I live literally a 2/3 minute drive from work and have been pulled by the police twice..............as a tea totaller it has never worried me but they must just be bored.
I've been stopped by police doing spot checks at xmas, they saw the uniform and let me straight through.

Probably just felt sorry for you!
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by DGP1 »

royalmailslave wrote:Our office has more than its fair share of piss pots,I've even seen blokes who have turned to drink through the stresses of te job,a large majority of our office piss cans are also drivers,and as long as they could fulfil there duties managers didn't give a toss,I refused to get into a van with a well known heavy drinker in our office as I believed he was over the limit only to har a blazing row with the line manager at which he basically made me get in the van or I'd be disciplined,our workplace sometimes disgusts me
Phone the police and report a suspected drunk driver, the police love drink drivers because it's an easy conviction and so clears up their crime rates, do it sitting in the van beside the driver :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
mazza111
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 877
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 16:30
Gender: Female

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by mazza111 »

DGP1 wrote:
mazza111 wrote:If the manager in our office had to suspend everyone who ever came in drunk there wouldn't be a lot there. I did it myself one day, on a Friday, had a skin full of ouzo the night before, the coffee I had when I got to work was enough to make me pissed again. Never drank ouzo since then!!!!

What's worrying though, is the amount of drivers who come in with drink on their breath. And I actually brought that up when the P&L was originally mentioned. They told us, if we suspected that someone had been drinking the night before, we had to grass them up basically. But how many of us would feel comfortable doing that to a colleague, the other choice would be getting into a van with him driving. It's a scary thought really.

So glad I got out when i did :)
I would report them to the police............no sympathy from me for drink drivers..........ever.
I did say suspected. Could just have been some dirty bugger who had 2 beers the night before and hadn't brushed their teeth *puke* as opposed to someone still being under the influence iykwim
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by DGP1 »

mazza111 wrote:
DGP1 wrote:
mazza111 wrote:If the manager in our office had to suspend everyone who ever came in drunk there wouldn't be a lot there. I did it myself one day, on a Friday, had a skin full of ouzo the night before, the coffee I had when I got to work was enough to make me pissed again. Never drank ouzo since then!!!!

What's worrying though, is the amount of drivers who come in with drink on their breath. And I actually brought that up when the P&L was originally mentioned. They told us, if we suspected that someone had been drinking the night before, we had to grass them up basically. But how many of us would feel comfortable doing that to a colleague, the other choice would be getting into a van with him driving. It's a scary thought really.

So glad I got out when i did :)
I would report them to the police............no sympathy from me for drink drivers..........ever.
I did say suspected. Could just have been some dirty bugger who had 2 beers the night before and hadn't brushed their teeth *puke* as opposed to someone still being under the influence iykwim
Even suspected I'd still do it, I personally don't want to feel responsible for them hurting someone because they're a bit drunk plus it may make them realise that drinking and driving is only for idiots.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Drunk on Duty

Post by thechemisyshop »

when i started i went to a wedding on the friday night and was stilled pissed on the saturday morning -thankfully this was in the days of a 2.5 hour delivery - i puked my way round it and took an extra hour to complete - but didnt claim the docket -
on the monday the manager then decided to pull me up about - i told him to GTF and that he should have sent me home then - but as he didnt dont start yer crap now when its too late