ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Should I stay or should I go?????

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by DirtyHarry »

mma83 wrote::hmmmm no job security on 3 month contracts, no idea of where and what i'll be doing everyday, no chance of having any holiday dates I may want, working every Saturday........summer months looming and nice family day outs/weekends away a definate no no, no uniform still. Spending not far off £100 per week petrol(not to mention wear n tear) :Boo hoo!

Or job with slightly better pay of approx £7.80 as delivery driver, 6 hours less per week(Don't do much overtime per week at R.M, approx 3-6hours) 12 mile round trip x 3 days=approx 40 mile per week(max 60) compared to 60-80 miles per day x 5. Permanent contract and I don't have to use my own car to get the job done ;-)

6.30-13.30 Mon,Tue and Wed....so I could even look for another job Thur and/or Fri


I do like my job ;liar as a postie but not knowing what and where i'll be working, if i'll be taking a full walk or 2 halves of 2 walks.... :d'oh! added with 2 hours driving per day has got me thinking as I have been offered another job

What will happen if I hand my notice in, regards my holiday owed?? will they honour :left: it and pay me what i'm owed(Doubt it) as i'm due approx 9 days
Go, just thank your lucky stars and go, don't look back at this car crash of a firm, just walk, mate, walk away. :cuppa
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by POSTMAN »

Or job with slightly better pay of approx £7.80 as delivery driver, 6 hours less per week(Don't do much overtime per week at R.M, approx 3-6hours) 12 mile round trip x 3 days=approx 40 mile per week(max 60) compared to 60-80 miles per day x 5. Permanent contract and I don't have to use my own car to get the job done ;-)
Or you could stop using your car,money saved straight away,and get on to your rep for lifts back to the office.
Job done.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
eian687
Posts: 743
Joined: 27 May 2007, 09:43
Location: south wales

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by eian687 »

enjoy your new job SIMPLES
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 348
Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
Gender: Male

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by sidewinder »

Go. Best thing I ever did.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by dvbuk55 »

Pointless question in the first place. What's it got to do with anyone else? It's like saying should I buy Heinz or Branston beans..........I mean who cares?
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by clashcityrocker »

If you go there will be trouble
If you stay it will be double.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
2old4this
Posts: 130
Joined: 08 Dec 2009, 13:49
Gender: Male

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by 2old4this »

£100 per week petrol. Is that just back and fourth to work
mma83
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Oct 2010, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: B'Ham

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by mma83 »

2old4this wrote:£100 per week petrol. Is that just back and fourth to work
60 mile to work and back plus 20 miles to and from nursery, which conveniently is in the opposite direction!(But not changing his nursery as he is settled) works out to approx 400 miles per week plus another 20-30(Yes, more fool me but I have my reasons that not all will agree with :so there ) per week on my rounds. Could save by getting a cheaper car to run, but have a reliable car and comfortable 1......so why risk buying a car that can have all sorts of problems.
dvbuk55 wrote:Pointless question in the first place. What's it got to do with anyone else? It's like saying should I buy Heinz or Branston beans..........I mean who cares?
For the opinion of people who decided to leave R.M for another job and those that had the opportunity to leave but decided to stay......yes, everyones personal preferences/situation is different but believe it or not, there is some useful advice/information given out on here that can help ME make MY choice.........like I could say that your response was pointless too????
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by dvbuk55 »

mma83 wrote:
2old4this wrote:£100 per week petrol. Is that just back and fourth to work
60 mile to work and back plus 20 miles to and from nursery, which conveniently is in the opposite direction!(But not changing his nursery as he is settled) works out to approx 400 miles per week plus another 20-30(Yes, more fool me but I have my reasons that not all will agree with :so there ) per week on my rounds. Could save by getting a cheaper car to run, but have a reliable car and comfortable 1......so why risk buying a car that can have all sorts of problems.
dvbuk55 wrote:Pointless question in the first place. What's it got to do with anyone else? It's like saying should I buy Heinz or Branston beans..........I mean who cares?
For the opinion of people who decided to leave R.M for another job and those that had the opportunity to leave but decided to stay......yes, everyones personal preferences/situation is different but believe it or not, there is some useful advice/information given out on here that can help ME make MY choice.........like I could say that your response was pointless too????
:cuppa
mma83
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Oct 2010, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: B'Ham

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by mma83 »

POSTMAN wrote:
Or job with slightly better pay of approx £7.80 as delivery driver, 6 hours less per week(Don't do much overtime per week at R.M, approx 3-6hours) 12 mile round trip x 3 days=approx 40 mile per week(max 60) compared to 60-80 miles per day x 5. Permanent contract and I don't have to use my own car to get the job done ;-)
Or you could stop using your car,money saved straight away,and get on to your rep for lifts back to the office.
Job done.
Union.....Rep???? 2 things that do not exist in our office i'm afraid. I know what you mean, but I use approx £10 per week during my workin hours, getting to and from my walk, which is just a small proportion of the £90 per week spent in total
post_bitch
Posts: 913
Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
Gender: Female

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by post_bitch »

what kind of mug applies to a delivery office 30 miles away

how the fk did u get the job in they circumstances
clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mma83
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Oct 2010, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: B'Ham

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by mma83 »

post_bitch wrote:what kind of mug applies to a delivery office 30 miles away

how the fk did u get the job in they circumstances
Was 20mile when applied, then moved location........see your living up to your name again :Very Happy
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by andy2007 »

mma83 wrote:
post_bitch wrote:what kind of mug applies to a delivery office 30 miles away

how the fk did u get the job in they circumstances
Was 20mile when applied, then moved location........see your living up to your name again :Very Happy
Post_bitch, have you any concept of the current prospects for finding work? :shock:
You can't just apply for local vacancies, if you want to stand any realistic chance of getting a job the same year. :d'oh!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Should I stay or should I go?????

Post by Darren Bent »

transfer to local DO