ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Is being a postie really a dream job?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
I thinks its true that the job used to keep you fit with 2hr deliveries. However now we are hitting 4hr i think your doing more harm than good. The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip top
well iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term. 
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
taurus88
- Posts: 1259
- Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
There's no such thing as a dream job unless you're working for yourself, and even then there are no guarantees. We live in a numbers driven world where people can be recycled. You cannot expect much in any job and so long as I can retain the desire to do better in the future, I am able to enjoy my day's work without too many worries. I must say I've found it a lot easier since I started doing the job properly. At first I would get stressed out because I was concerned with finishing, worried about the perception of me both in work and out (in terms of 'the customer'), but now I realise that I am paid for 5 hours sans a half an hour meal relief, and my only contractual obligation is to fulfil those hours on a daily basis - anything else is in the hands of the gods. I don't obsess over an early finish, I don't feel intimidated by there being lots of mail or packets, whatever will be will be.
And I'll be home by half-two.

And I'll be home by half-two.
-
jaylime
- Posts: 331
- Joined: 09 Jan 2009, 10:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
I have loads of walkers and mountain bikers,say they wish they had my job.Some say it in the summer when its lovely and warm with blue skies,and the views are fantastic.But i always say try being up here in the hills when its pishing down and blowing a gale,there answer is,i would still love.Yeah mate course u would.
-
Thehair
- Posts: 221
- Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 22:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
The wife thinks so toopost_bitch wrote:WOW ! your sooooo amazinggggggThehair wrote:I still really like it...Am I in the minority?
I come in on my time, take my breaks, don't use a car and if I go over I book OT
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
Lightweightkrussel wrote:I thinks its true that the job used to keep you fit with 2hr deliveries. However now we are hitting 4hr i think your doing more harm than good. The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip topwell iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
lekker
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
That's true enoughmeercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????
One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
I used to wear a pedometer and kept trying to increase my steps per day until I was doing 15-20,000 per day.krussel wrote: The gov recommend a MAX 10,000 steps a day to keep tip topwell iam hitting 22,000 on a heavy day so thats not going to do me any good long term.
But it resulted in me getting plantar fasciitis, and hobbling about for 9 months.
-
post_bitch
- Posts: 913
- Joined: 25 Jun 2010, 14:52
- Gender: Female
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?

clean and original ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkC9cK8Hz0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
mickyplum
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 01 Nov 2010, 17:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
It was a dream job when I started in 1974, one bag per walk, two on a heavy day, no door to dustbin crap, plenty of overtime, especially in summer. great morale and RM made a profit. Two many overpaid managers and other "hanger ons" now.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
lekker wrote:That's true enoughmeercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????
One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.We also used to have phartridges and peasants to deliver with just a label on - Oh happy days
Is that a gassy partridge
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
lekker
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
some of 'em were pretty ripe by the time we got themDGP1 wrote:lekker wrote:That's true enoughmeercat wrote:Lightweight. They only had a few bundles back then.
No d2bins, Amazon packets, light bulbs, did they even have recordeds in the 60's????
One old guy told me though he used to deliver rabbits tied with a bit of string and a stamp on the foot. Lol.We also used to have phartridges and peasants to deliver with just a label on - Oh happy days
Is that a gassy partridge![]()
![]()
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere
-
lekker
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 21:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
BELIAL wrote:what about the peasants?
They did the delivering and yes they were revolting as usual
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Is being a postie really a dream job?
Are they chewylekker wrote:BELIAL wrote:what about the peasants?
They did the delivering and yes they were revolting as usual![]()
![]()
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio