ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by norris9 »

A customer came looking for me once to hand me their parcel for collection, they panicked when I didn't knock when delivering the mail...but I would have gone back to their house later to collect the parcel....

anyhow, he was frustrated with me (no idea why)....and went on to say 'this is supposed to be collected by 3pm today'...it was 12.10pm....so I was like 'so why are you upset....I still had almost another 3 hours to collect this.....

point being, I believe the current collection window is pretty huge, so you are unlikely to pick parcels up late.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by LouBarlow »

I feel like they need to figure out the logistics for making the collection window narrower for this to be really successful, and given they haven’t even managed to do so for deliveries of tracked items yet, I’m not optimistic. Nobody is staying in all day, waiting for the postie, to save a few pennies.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4112
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by ted_e_bear »

LouBarlow wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 09:51
I feel like they need to figure out the logistics for making the collection window narrower for this to be really successful, and given they haven’t even managed to do so for deliveries of tracked items yet, I’m not optimistic. Nobody is staying in all day, waiting for the postie, to save a few pennies.
I think they're trying as far as the trackeds are concerned, just need to get rid of those pesky items of mail....
Barnacle
Posts: 2949
Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Earth

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by Barnacle »

‘Nobody is staying in all day waiting for a postie, just to save a few pennies.’

Businesses operating from homes are doing exactly that.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by Deadly »

I'm sure this has been asked before but are businesses supposed to use this service?
Barnacle
Posts: 2949
Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Earth

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by Barnacle »

Deadly wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 10:20
I'm sure this has been asked before but are businesses supposed to use this service?
Businesses are supposed to use the paid for service but I think most of us have at least one homeworker on their walk who regularly has monumental amounts for collection.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
qwerty2
Posts: 2119
Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 00:42
Gender: Male

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by qwerty2 »

claretandblue wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 07:48
czeskyy wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2024, 21:48
I'm new starter couple months in company, today noticed RM not only pushing on collection but further advertising ( on Facebook) 2h collection slot ??? I'm wondering how they planning to fulfill these promises ???
Customers are already given a slot based on PDA times, we aren't told the times though.
Always been told there’s no time limit on collecting parcels
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by claretandblue »

qwerty2 wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 11:40
claretandblue wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 07:48
czeskyy wrote: ↑
23 Mar 2024, 21:48
I'm new starter couple months in company, today noticed RM not only pushing on collection but further advertising ( on Facebook) 2h collection slot ??? I'm wondering how they planning to fulfill these promises ???
Customers are already given a slot based on PDA times, we aren't told the times though.
Always been told there’s no time limit on collecting parcels
Ive had customers say "you're early/late"
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by rubberbond »

It’s all fine and dandy pushing all these new “ innovation “ services ,yet they haven’t / can’t get / keep the staff to fulfill their core obligation to deliver letters,if they can’t be trusted to do that why would you trust them to collect your parcels.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by LouBarlow »

Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 10:09
‘Nobody is staying in all day waiting for a postie, just to save a few pennies.’

Businesses operating from homes are doing exactly that.
I don’t know of any businesses using the customer collection option when other payment plans are less expensive.
Barnacle
Posts: 2949
Joined: 13 Dec 2022, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Earth

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by Barnacle »

LouBarlow wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 14:42
Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 10:09
‘Nobody is staying in all day waiting for a postie, just to save a few pennies.’

Businesses operating from homes are doing exactly that.
I don’t know of any businesses using the customer collection option when other payment plans are less expensive.
Obviously never happens if you don’t know about it.
’You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.’
Valentina@1
Posts: 852
Joined: 13 Apr 2023, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by Valentina@1 »

Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 14:45
LouBarlow wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 14:42
Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 10:09
‘Nobody is staying in all day waiting for a postie, just to save a few pennies.’

Businesses operating from homes are doing exactly that.
I don’t know of any businesses using the customer collection option when other payment plans are less expensive.
Obviously never happens if you don’t know about it.
He’s Font of all knowledge
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel collect

Post by LouBarlow »

Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 14:45
LouBarlow wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 14:42
Barnacle wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 10:09
‘Nobody is staying in all day waiting for a postie, just to save a few pennies.’

Businesses operating from homes are doing exactly that.
I don’t know of any businesses using the customer collection option when other payment plans are less expensive.
Obviously never happens if you don’t know about it.
And you do? Why would any business choose to pay the more expensive option when it comes to postage?
Smoothbackground
Posts: 1275
Joined: 21 Sep 2023, 20:01
Gender: Female

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel colle

Post by Smoothbackground »

We have a few small/home businesses in our DO area taking advantage of the free collections and sending maybe five or six packages a time, albeit with the sender’s name rather than a business name, so you do get smaller businesses using it. You can even have a second class signed-for small parcel collected for free — I had thought it was just tracked. However, the big earner for RM with the customer collect will surely be the Amazon returns — I’ve collected quite a few this week. Perhaps the “customer collect” thingy is really to entice the big names to use RM for returns.
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Re: Royal mail pushing parcel colle

Post by LouBarlow »

Smoothbackground wrote: ↑
24 Mar 2024, 18:33
We have a few small/home businesses in our DO area taking advantage of the free collections and sending maybe five or six packages a time, albeit with the sender’s name rather than a business name, so you do get smaller businesses using it. You can even have a second class signed-for small parcel collected for free — I had thought it was just tracked. However, the big earner for RM with the customer collect will surely be the Amazon returns — I’ve collected quite a few this week. Perhaps the “customer collect” thingy is really to entice the big names to use RM for returns.
Exactly my experience. We pick up as many Amazon returns as we do anything else.