ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Later starts and Hot weather

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4115
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by ted_e_bear »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
10 Aug 2022, 18:32
norris9 wrote: ↑
10 Aug 2022, 18:21
Working in the hot weather from 9.30am to 2.30pm is bad enough.

They need to get air conditioning in the vans.

Nobody is going to want to be driving around with no air conditioning for the 3 or 4 hottest hours of the day between 12 and 4pm.

It's like getting into a sauna, I instantly sweat as i get in. It is not fun at all.
Wont really work, air con needs at least 5 minutes to be effective and the stop start nature of the job isnt really air con friendly.
That's absolute rubbish, yes it may take a few minutes to totally cool the van interior but a refreshing almost instant blast of icy cold air between stops is a massive bonus, I had a new hire van for a couple of days during recent hot weather and it was luxury compared to my stinking hot doblo.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by SpacePhoenix »

twoloops wrote: ↑
10 Aug 2022, 15:57
We were told today we have another revision coming, anything bigger than a shoe-box will be removed from the walks & from Monday 24th October we will all start @ 8am, some will be on packets & some on letters, but not sure who yet, where's the union?
In theory, in practice you're still going to get some packets larger than a shoe box. Yorks and sleeves these days are a right mix of large and small, Tracked and non-Tracked with the odd SD thrown in
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by sequinn »

I worked at a SPDO for years and I worked in the midday sun and in the dark in winter, sometimes up to 6pm with no street lights. Now I’m at a delivery office and still working in the sun all day but not so late in the winter.
With all the proposed changes I’m glad I’ve only got a few more weeks until I retire aged 67+ and 24 years service.
I feel sorry for you all, this job is going backwards instead of forwards.
Alatar
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 12
Joined: 08 Dec 2010, 17:14
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by Alatar »

When I first started we used to be done 11am on a very heavy day during the summer. We made up for it in the winter though and royal mail still worked well I'm glad I'm out of it now
no1postie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 129
Joined: 16 Jan 2011, 14:48
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by no1postie »

hi, alatar, with respect, how many "full" bags did you have on your duty back in the day?, we now have eight or nine rammed pouches each every day, and how many bulk mailings (garage doors, dog blankets,new dentures etc.) packets, parcels, tracked with photo, special deliveries, d2d and collections? our corsa combo van is not big enough to take it all. good job Mails down, and losing £1000000.00 a day. lying bastards. "asking for a friend.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by Woody Guthrie »

POSTMAN wrote: ↑
10 Aug 2022, 15:44
The hot weather is in the summer when you will be working fewer hrs anyway, there is no work in the summer so you will be all right.

Their thoughts-not mine!
I would suspect that true to form the shortness from a shorter day in summer will come from starting later not finishing earlier.

My thoughts-and probably theirs!
Only dead fish follow the current
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Later starts and Hot weather

Post by cpsteve »

twoloops wrote: ↑
10 Aug 2022, 15:57
We were told today we have another revision coming, anything bigger than a shoe-box will be removed from the walks & from Monday 24th October we will all start @ 8am, some will be on packets & some on letters, but not sure who yet, where's the union?
Not sure they can do anything else we have voted to strike over it if the company just impose this and abide by the law then we have the right to strike and not much else. The stronger we are the more chance of a settlement if enough people work then we are cooked so we need to stay strong stand together the RM is under attack from the people who should be protecting it.