ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Doorstepping packets

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by chickenwittle »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 21:44
ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 20:00
NWpostie wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 19:06
An ideal solution is to create parcel lockers so customers will have that as an option using texted or emailed code to open it up, creating a network of them round the country, in secure locations like outside sorting offices, supermarkets and shopping centres would be a big step forward in customer accessability especially if they're trying to juggle a busy life with children, shopping and work especially unsociable hours.
Absolutely agree, RM even have the locations in place throughout the country but just like everything else we're lagging well behind playing catch-up.
Doesn't RM already do something similar with Local Collect? It doesn't seem that popular to me as, at most, I only deliver the odd parcel a week to the PO on my round.
It’s getting more popular, I often deliver 15/20 items to post office for local collect .
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by SpacePhoenix »

chickenwittle wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 22:18
TopperGas wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 21:44
ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 20:00
NWpostie wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 19:06
An ideal solution is to create parcel lockers so customers will have that as an option using texted or emailed code to open it up, creating a network of them round the country, in secure locations like outside sorting offices, supermarkets and shopping centres would be a big step forward in customer accessability especially if they're trying to juggle a busy life with children, shopping and work especially unsociable hours.
Absolutely agree, RM even have the locations in place throughout the country but just like everything else we're lagging well behind playing catch-up.
Doesn't RM already do something similar with Local Collect? It doesn't seem that popular to me as, at most, I only deliver the odd parcel a week to the PO on my round.
It’s getting more popular, I often deliver 15/20 items to post office for local collect .
I've not seen any Local Collects pass through the MC for months
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by chickenwittle »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
30 Dec 2021, 07:04
chickenwittle wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 22:18
TopperGas wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 21:44
ted_e_bear wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 20:00
NWpostie wrote: ↑
29 Dec 2021, 19:06
An ideal solution is to create parcel lockers so customers will have that as an option using texted or emailed code to open it up, creating a network of them round the country, in secure locations like outside sorting offices, supermarkets and shopping centres would be a big step forward in customer accessability especially if they're trying to juggle a busy life with children, shopping and work especially unsociable hours.
Absolutely agree, RM even have the locations in place throughout the country but just like everything else we're lagging well behind playing catch-up.
Doesn't RM already do something similar with Local Collect? It doesn't seem that popular to me as, at most, I only deliver the odd parcel a week to the PO on my round.
It’s getting more popular, I often deliver 15/20 items to post office for local collect .
I've not seen any Local Collects pass through the MC for months
Lots of inflight getting redirected to local collect ,which is a step in the right direction as it shows some customers can manage their deliveries.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by Dorset Plodder »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
30 Dec 2021, 07:04

I've not seen any Local Collects pass through the MC for months
I'm quite surprised at that SP :shock: There's over a thousand DOs so we're all going to have different duty profiles. I'd like to think I've managed to "Train" my customers over the years. I get quite a lot of Local Collects because I've been 739ing them for years and telling them about the Local Collect Service :thumbup

I've also got a lot of customers that have purchased these large metal parcel boxes that bolt on the wall. A good idea.....they've got a security type flap that allows you to put stuff in ... but you cant get access afterwards :thumbup

I agree that most people just don't think about it and believe the "Royal Mail Fairy" is going to manage whatever :d'oh! It's harder for Reserves (who don't know the duty) but just docket the shite out of them (regardless of the time element) until they get the message. I firmly believe RM are NOT interested in trying to help the Postie out, they want us running around looking for UNSAFE Safe places and disturbing Retired Neighbours, that are pissed off with taking their working neighbours parcels :thumbdown

IF they wanted to help us they'd insist on peelable barcodes (like we used to have) to save trying to read those minute Tracked Numbers! :hmmmm I'll often write out the number element of the 739 before I even leave the DO, when I know it's certain customers who are never in! Better light and I can put my reading glasses on! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12195
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
01 Jan 2022, 09:23
IF they wanted to help us they'd insist on peelable barcodes (like we used to have) to save trying to read those minute Tracked Numbers! :hmmmm I'll often write out the number element of the 739 before I even leave the DO, when I know it's certain customers who are never in! Better light and I can put my reading glasses on! :cuppa
They're going the other way. You know them new barcode labels, well they're starting to be used for SDs (and it's not so obvious now if it's a 9am SD). Not seen any used for Tracked yet but it's probably only a matter of time before they are.

These days when the customers are generating the posting labels it won't be just for RM postings. RM and each courier will each have a unique layout of how the posting labels are laid out, so having peelable stickers probably isn't viable anymore
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Doorstepping packets

Post by Dorset Plodder »

chickenwittle wrote: ↑
30 Dec 2021, 13:09

Lots of inflight getting redirected to local collect, which is a step in the right direction as it shows some customers can manage their deliveries.
You're right, some customers seem to be getting the message CW :thumbup I get caught out when they change the delivery day on the in-flight instructions and I'm stood there looking at the sticker thinking, "I don't remember docketting this parcel" :hmmmm

Then the customer opens the door and says, "We knew we wouldn't be in so we changed the day on in-flight" :Applause That's what we need more intelligent customers. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)