ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dunbar postman taking on charity skydive challenge

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Dunbar postman taking on charity skydive challenge

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.eastlothiancourier.com/news ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image


A PETRIFIED postman is getting ready to take the plunge.

Derek Cowan will swap pounding the pavements of Dunbar for plummeting from 10,000ft as he attempts to raise money for Eat, Sleep, Ride.

The social enterprise supports people experiencing mental health problems, those that have suffered abuse and other challenges such as addiction.

Derek, 41, told the Courier: “I’m petrified of heights.

“During the summer holidays, we went to Blackpool and did the Blackpool Tower experience. They have got a glass platform and it is only five centimetres thick.


“When I came out of the lift, I thought it would be easy but it took me about 15 minutes to step onto the glass platform.

“I’m petrified of heights and it was my wife Gayle’s suggestion to do a parachute jump.”

Derek, who lives in Dunbar and has been a postman in the town for more than a decade, decided to help the social enterprise after seeing its work up close.

He said: “My daughter Fyona volunteers there.

“What they do mainly is give lessons and do fun things for children from disadvantaged backgrounds.

“I think they are brilliant.

“You really see the children blossom and come out of their shells.

“I wanted to do this for them and get them some more cash.”

Fyona, 14, volunteers at Eat, Sleep, Ride on a Friday afternoon, as well as throughout the weekend and on a Monday evening.

Derek was due to make the trip to Glenrothes on Saturday but low cloud meant the jump was postponed to this Sunday.

The 10,000ft tandem jump will see Derek strapped to an experienced skydiver.

Danielle McKinnon, the social enterprise’s founding director, thanked Derek for his efforts and wished him well, with the postman aiming to deliver a £500 donation to the good cause.

She said: “I have done a sky dive before and it is the most petrifying thing that I have done.

“I think he is off his head!

“I have got quite a good relationship with the parents and they are really supportive of the company and what I try to do for the kids.”


To support Derek, go to justgiving.com/crowdfunding/derekcowan
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.