https://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/ ... -30-years/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/resou ... ve-gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTMAN who fought twice to save Stourport's delivery office is celebrating 30 years of service to the town this month.
Michael Dobbins started his first job as a postman aged just 16, and has been delivering letters and parcels to Stourport's residents ever since.
Since starting his early morning rounds in Arley Common in 1989, Michael says the job has changed a lot over the years.
"I've seen the volumes of mail shoot up and fall down," said Michael. "As technology developed, the number of letters fell, then there was a rise in parcels due to the rise of internet shopping.
"When I first started, I had two bagfuls to deliver. Now I have seven or eight.
"I started out on a bike with no gears, then gears were introduced and then we stopped using bikes altogether and started doing van shares.
"I've watched Stourport change a lot over the years too."
Father-of-four Michael, who has lived in Wyre Forest all his life, met his second wife after delivering mail to her parents for several years.
He also led two campaigns against the closure of Stourport Delivery Office. The latest in 2011 saw Michael collect 2,000 signatures on a petition to keep it open.
Asked his favourite part of the job, Michael said: "Meeting everybody and giving customers a good service. I'm always friendly to people. In this line of work you become a familiar face to people."
In recognition of his 30 years of service, Royal Mail presented Michael with an award and £100 in vouchers.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman Michael Dobbins has served Stourport for 30 years
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman Michael Dobbins has served Stourport for 30 years
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.