ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie Nigel Scott named Gatehouse of Fleet Citizen of the Year 2019

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postie Nigel Scott named Gatehouse of Fleet Citizen of the Year 2019

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/loca ... e-13837691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image


Nigel received his honour as the town rang in the New Year at the clock tower

A popular postie and community councillor is Gatehouse Citizen of the Year for 2019.

Nigel Scott was presented with the award as the town rang in the New Year at the clock tower.


Hundreds of people cheered as Gatehouse Community Council secretary Helen Keating announced him as the winner.

A delighted Nigel told the News afterwards: “I am very pleased that people have thought about me. I think my adult service with the Scout movement must have been a big factor.

“Also, I have been postman here for 32 years and over that time I have got to know a lot of people.

“I’m a great believer in that if you meet somebody in the street you give them a wee nod and a smile. It doesn’t cost you anything.

Gatehouse Scout leader Mark Grieve honoured for 25 years' of service

“Some of the old folk who I visit may not see many people. If you roll up with their mail the least you can do is to spend a couple of minutes with them. That always goes down well.”

Mrs Keating presented Nigel with the silver quaich before the traditional short silence in memory of friends the town lost in 2018.

She told the crowd: “Many of the town’s youngsters will have benefitted from Nigel’s guidance through the Gatehouse Scout troop and the Scout movement in general, to which he has been a faithful and recognised servant for many years.

“He is also, quietly, incredibly kind and helpful to many of our housebound residents. In addition he is a valued member of the community council.”

Mrs Keating also paid tribute to the other nominees – dog-walker and Riding for the Disabled supporter Janet Watson, Jim and Pauline Logan, who help many less able members of the community and SWI stalwart and patient transport organiser Kathleen Gilligan.


She said: “Please join with me to thank those nominees and, indeed, all those who contribute to the welfare of the town and its citizens without outward recognition.”

The clock tower celebrations featured singer Susie Briggs and music from young pipers Regan McKie and Robin Alderslowe.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.