ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Paul Savage murder: North Wales Police to review evidence

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Paul Savage murder: North Wales Police to review evidence

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-nort ... s-44117649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image


Detectives are to review evidence collected following the murder of a postman in Flintshire 15 years ago.

Paul Savage, 30, was attacked with a wooden baton while on his round in Clayton Road, Mold, on 4 February 2003.

Despite a £100,000 reward and a reinvestigation of the case, his killer or killers have never been brought to justice.

However, following advances in DNA technology, North Wales Police said it would carry out a forensic review.

It will see whether there are grounds to reopen the case again.

Mr Savage's mother June White has continued to campaign for her son's killers to be brought to justice.

She told BBC Wales: "I'm pleased to hear they're looking at the case again.

"I want people in that community to know that I will never give up. I'm not pushing this under the carpet."

Mr Savage had moved from Sale in Manchester to the village of Gwernaffield, near Mold, with his partner Charlotte and four-year-old daughter Regan, shortly before he died.

He was struck several times with an 18-in (45cm) club, believed to have been fashioned from a banister rail, as he delivered mail.

He died at Wrexham Maelor Hospital without regaining consciousness.

In spring 2003, five people were arrested and questioned before being released without charge.

Police have always believed there are witnesses who could hold the key to solving the case, but have yet to come forward.

Image

Det Insp Iestyn Davies, of North Wales Police's major incident team, said: "The investigation into an unsolved murder is never closed and we will continue to explore any new evidence or intelligence that may bring justice to Paul's family.

"We will also explore any advances in DNA evidence and to this end I have recently asked our crime scene manager to conduct a further review of the forensic material gathered, to establish the possibility of any fresh evidence being obtained."

Mr Davies said he remained convinced the key to solving the case lay in the community.

He added: "I understand people are sometimes reluctant to come forward years after such a serious crime, but I'd like to reassure them we are only interested in securing that vital piece of information that will help bring this investigation to a positive conclusion."

The senior investigating officer who led the original murder inquiry, retired Det Ch Supt Chris Corcoran, said, "Fifteen years on from the brutal and fatal attack on Paul Savage as he went about his business as a local postman, it's encouraging to know that the police case is still open and that regular reviews are taking place.

"I hope someone is brave enough to contact North Wales Police in confidence and give them that vital piece of information."

Meanwhile, Mr Savage's mother, Mrs White, said she still has not given up hope of a breakthrough.

Since losing her son, she has also lost her husband, Lance, and survived ovarian cancer.

Mrs White, who now lives in Lancaster, Lancashire, with her partner Steve, said: "When I was ill, the thought of one day seeing justice for my Paul kept me going.

"I will never forget, never stop fighting. I'll campaign for as long as it takes."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.