https://tamebay.com/2017/06/two-shortco ... kouts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Post Office is increasingly adopting self-service automated checkouts in branch as it seeks to modernise the service it offers. One of the branches down my way has introduced the robots and the queue to use them is inevitably shorter than that of the humans behind the jump.
I had small parcel that needed despatched on Wednesday afternoon, so I headed down to send it off and opted for the machines. Rather like in supermarkets, or coming through passport control, I don’t find the experience terribly gratifying. And indeed I’d rather be served by a human in general. And this visit to the Post Office highlighted why because of two things I discovered.
Firstly, I bought and paid for the wrong postage because I wasn’t concentrating. My mistake. But when I realised it, I asked the PO helper if I could get a refund and opt for the cheaper Large Letter tariff rather than Small Packet rate. He informed me that no refunds on the machines are possible. And that seems a little harsh.
And it was hardly the end of the world. But as I went pop my packet into the collection point the handy helper said that the last post for the day had already left and the goods were not to be collected until the morning. (It was 17:10.) I cheerfully said that this wasn’t a problem because I could pop by the sorting office, a few minute’s walk away, for a later collection. Oh no, he informed me. These particular labels couldn’t be processed there. My parcel had to go in the collection point in the branch.
So all in all, I paid over the odds for a late collection. I should’ve stood in line for a personal service and bought stamps for the despatch and strolled down to the sorting office.
Post Office modernisation is to be welcomed. The checkout machines aren’t the problem per se. But it seems like the service needs to be refined. And as to why the last Royal Mail collection from a city centre Post Office branch comes before it shuts at 17:30, I just don’t know. I’ve already written to my eBay buyer to expect a slight delay.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Two shortcomings of the new Post Office automated checkouts
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Two shortcomings of the new Post Office automated checkouts
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Two shortcomings of the new Post Office automated checkouts
user error on both points.
last collection time is clearly displayed in postoffices and also printed on recipt posted before final collection time.......
not concentrating and buying wrong posting options , you can go backwards on those machines he/she choose the options and commited to them by paying for it again user error!
last collection time is clearly displayed in postoffices and also printed on recipt posted before final collection time.......
not concentrating and buying wrong posting options , you can go backwards on those machines he/she choose the options and commited to them by paying for it again user error!
-
GT750rider
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 216
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
- Gender: Male
Two shortcomings of the new Post Office automated checkouts
Did Post Office Ltd ask the public if they wanted automated checkouts ? I think not.
And as regards 17:10 being the last collection time for a city centre branch, things seem to be going backwards.
And as regards 17:10 being the last collection time for a city centre branch, things seem to be going backwards.