ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

An election candidate's letter has moved pensioners to tears - but not in a good way

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

An election candidate's letter has moved pensioners to tears - but not in a good way

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.kentlive.news/dover-and-deal ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elderly residents have been left in 'tears' after receiving a letter they had to pay for - only to find it was from Charlie Elphicke.

The red-faced Conservative candidate for Dover and Deal made a blunder this week after dozens of campaign letters were put in the postbox without payment.

Residents were then sent a note from the Post Office saying they had a letter to collect but it was only upon arriving at the delivery office they were told they would have to pay for the postage.

Although Mr Elphicke claims only two streets in Aycliffe were affected, some users on social media have said 'over 1000 letters' were sent out without paying the delivery charge.

'Absolutely disgusting'
It has since emerged the letters were dropped in the postbox without a stamp instead of through front doors by the child of one conservative volunteer.

A carer at Sunny Corner residential home, who asked not to be named, contacted Kent Live to say elderly people had been left 'in tears' after they had to pay £2 at the Post Office to receive the campaign letter.

She said: "I was a bit shocked when I found out it was £2 to pay - he has made a big mistake.

"I felt really sorry for the elderly people I met because some of them were crying.

"Having to give out money for this of Elphicke is absolutely disgusting. £2 to an elderly resident is quite a lot of money."

Mistake
Other residents took to social media to say the return to sender tray at the collection office was 'overflowing'.

Charlie Elphicke said: "We have a dedicated network of hardworking volunteers delivering thousands of leaflets across the constituency. Unfortunately, a very limited number of letters to people in Aycliffe were mistakenly put in the postbox by the child of one volunteer.

"I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. I would urge anyone affected to contact my office so we can put it right."

Anyone who has had to pay for postage and wishes to reclaim their money can call Mr Elphicke's team on 01304 379669 or email charlie@elphicke.com.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4145
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

An election candidate's letter has moved pensioners to tears - but not in a good way

Post by Tman »

"I felt really sorry for the elderly people I met because some of them were crying.
Those First World problems again.
And they say the young are little snowflakes...