ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

appeal

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by burtons »

hi I have been charged with unauthorised absence and dismissed in my absence as I wasn't able to attend.to ill,what are my chances of winning my job back.my conduct record was clear before also how long for the appeal.any helpful reply appreciated.it really does seem like a very harsh penalty
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by Sir Henry »

Bang in an appeal ASAP there is a time limit which I believe is 3 months from dismissal. Get onto your rep and start the ball rolling.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by rehabron »

burtons wrote:hi I have been charged with unauthorised absence and dismissed in my absence as I wasn't able to attend.to ill,what are my chances of winning my job back.my conduct record was clear before also how long for the appeal.any helpful reply appreciated.it really does seem like a very harsh penalty
Did you have a GP " fit note" to support your absence?
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by rehabron »

burtons wrote:hi I have been charged with unauthorised absence and dismissed in my absence as I wasn't able to attend.to ill,what are my chances of winning my job back.my conduct record was clear before also how long for the appeal.any helpful reply appreciated.it really does seem like a very harsh penalty
1) How long was you absent for?
2) Did you complete a self-certificate for your first 7 days of absence and then followed with a GP " fit note" ?
3) Did you receive in writing an invitation to attend meeting concerning your absence?
4) Did you remain in contact with manager while absent and set up contact details as required in attendance procedure?
5) Do you have a text/e-mail advising manager that you were ill and unable to attend meeting?
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

appeal

Post by General Mannerheim »

rehabron wrote:
burtons wrote:hi I have been charged with unauthorised absence and dismissed in my absence as I wasn't able to attend.to ill,what are my chances of winning my job back.my conduct record was clear before also how long for the appeal.any helpful reply appreciated.it really does seem like a very harsh penalty
1) How long was you absent for?
2) Did you complete a self-certificate for your first 7 days of absence and then followed with a GP " fit note" ?
3) Did you receive in writing an invitation to attend meeting concerning your absence?
4) Did you remain in contact with manager while absent and set up contact details as required in attendance procedure?
5) Do you have a text/e-mail advising manager that you were ill and unable to attend meeting?

6.)Did they seek advice from Occupational Health as to whether you was in fact unable to attend on medical grounds.
7.) Did they not stress to you that they could telephone you instead of doing a face to face?
8.) Did they also not say you could if unable to attend send in written submissions.
9.) Did they not tell you that they could come to your address or another convenient address with you rep present.
etc etc.
I hope your Area rep is on the ball. :roll: :cuppa
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

appeal

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Was the "unauthorised absence" only to do with time off due to illness ?
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by burtons »

thanks for the replies.unfortunatly I have not followed all the rules correctly so probabley no point appealing due to health issues at the time.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by datasaint »

Don't give up, your case might have mitigating circumstances. Get your rep involved a file for appeal soon as.
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by burtons »

hi norm thanks for the reply.ive almost given up hope.but il try.thankyou again as you may understand its a very difficult situation I find myself in
cobblers
Posts: 11
Joined: 09 Feb 2017, 11:04
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by cobblers »

burtons wrote:hi norm thanks for the reply.ive almost given up hope.but il try.thankyou again as you may understand its a very difficult situation I find myself in
Don't give up.Get the best rep you can find.It's possible management have not followed correct procedure either.Good luck.
burtons
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 67
Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
Gender: Male

appeal

Post by burtons »

hi there all still awaiting appeal date.appeal notice was received.its taken over 2 weeks to get the ball roll after contacting area rep.if I hadn't I doubt anything would be done.its like waiting to be shot :cry