
A postman decided to run his first ever marathon to help a Devonport charity pay for a new boiler.
Iain Lazenby successfully raised £500 last weekend after completing the gruelling Manchester marathon in three hours and 39 minutes.
The funds will go towards a new heating system for Devonport-based charity Welcome Hall which provides rooms for hire and a luncheon club for the elderly as well as accommodating many other groups.
After delivering their mail for four years, Iain was so impressed with the work of Welcome Hall and its dedicated manager Glynis Lidster that when the Hall's heating system broke down last year he decided to help raise much-needed funds.
"I often see Glynis and the staff," Iain said.
"I heard that Glynis did the Three Peaks challenge (tackling Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scarfell Pike in three days) last year which is amazing for anyone, but especially for someone at 63 years old. She lives and breathes Welcome Hall."
Iain signed up for the Manchester run in January - the flattest marathon course in the UK.
"I have been out for a few runs beforehand, but not enough really. I do boot camps twice a week though with ex-military personnel at Central Park so I'm reasonable fit.
"It was a good experience. It's a reasonably flat route, not like the Plymouth Half, so it felt quite easy. The last two miles were the toughest."
In total Welcome Hall need to raise £3,000 for the new heating system, but Glynis said Iain's contribution would go a long way.
"We are in dire need of two new pumps for the comfort of all users of our facilities," she said.
"Iain kindly offered to make his event a part of raising the £3,000 needed to ensure that all are comfortable. He did extremely well and we are extremely grateful for his support of the community in raising £500 towards our goal.
"I am so pleased with this amount as it is getting harder for people to part with their money due to a higher cost of living, but part with it they did. I am so thankful to everyone who supported this event."