ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Micro managing

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Micro managing

Post by worktotime »

hi can any reps tell me if there is an agreement in for this micro managing , basically they ask you in a morning what time do you think you will be out ? they also try telling you well them x amount of trays , mail etc should take you x amount of time , so I just wondered if anybody else has heard of this rubbish.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Micro managing

Post by postslippete »

Im not a rep but we often get this. We have a work plan but if its busy and there is a shortage of walk-sorters then they will just pull up certain staff to help out. Usually its the quicker, more efficient guys that get penalised so its never a smart move coming in early. A few guys have found out that its best to get in to work as late as possible, grab a coffee, chat to a few colleagues etc etc and waste a bit time first so that they don't get roped in for any extra 'indoor' work.

Also, its a new strategy that the managers are using. If you tell them that you are going to work past your time then they should be pulling out all the stops to ensure that you don't work past your time. But they never do!! They expect you to work past your time but if you don't want to, then you really don't have to. I once had a manager counting all the packets and recording how many trays of mech I had as a measure that because of the low volumes of mail and packet traffic that I had no reason to cut off. Its total b**locks. It doesn't take into account many other factors that may push you past your time like who you are working with, traffic on the roads, how many specials you have to deliver etc
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Micro managing

Post by worktotime »

postslippete wrote:Im not a rep but we often get this. We have a work plan but if its busy and there is a shortage of walk-sorters then they will just pull up certain staff to help out. Usually its the quicker, more efficient guys that get penalised so its never a smart move coming in early. A few guys have found out that its best to get in to work as late as possible, grab a coffee, chat to a few colleagues etc etc and waste a bit time first so that they don't get roped in for any extra 'indoor' work.

Also, its a new strategy that the managers are using. If you tell them that you are going to work past your time then they should be pulling out all the stops to ensure that you don't work past your time. But they never do!! They expect you to work past your time but if you don't want to, then you really don't have to. I once had a manager counting all the packets and recording how many trays of mech I had as a measure that because of the low volumes of mail and packet traffic that I had no reason to cut off. Its total b**locks. It doesn't take into account many other factors that may push you past your time like who you are working with, traffic on the roads, how many specials you have to deliver etc
I just cant believe these clowns are allowed to get away with these under handed tactics to push the blame back on the posties as inefficient and not there unmanageable dutys and made up traffic figs ,
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Micro managing

Post by pinstripe »

postslippete wrote: I once had a manager .... recording how many trays of mech I had as a measure that because of the low volumes of mail and packet traffic that I had no reason to cut off.
I work on a CSS machine. That is exactly the reason I will put a walks mech into 2 trays instead of cramming it all in one. :shhhhh
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Micro managing

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

I've had days in the past where I received 2+ trays of sequenced mail, where each tray had so many letters (400+), I really struggled to pull my first mini-bundle out of each tray to start throwing it into the frame. The time taken to throw it all in, after getting past the initial hurdle of getting that first mini-bundle out, was positively silly compared to a "normal" day.

I thought the standard maximum letter count per sequenced tray was supposed to be ~250, so on days like the above, I really had 3+ trays.

There's nothing quite like the psychological blow of seeing a given number of trays and realising they should really be almost double, in terms of how bad a day you really have on your hands.