ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Thug pulled knife on postman

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Thug pulled knife on postman

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/news/14680 ... n_postman/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

A VIOLENT thug who held a knife at a Paisley postman’s throat in a row over missing mail has been jailed.

Hugh Temple, 47, attacked the 30-year-old postman in the town’s Argyle Street on June 17 last year.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard Temple punched the man in the face before pulling the blade on him – leaving him fearing for his life.

Callous Temple denied he’d done anything wrong and insisted the man was the aggressor – forcing the postie to take to the stand to give evidence against him.


Reliving the knife attack, the victim said: “I walked into the close with my head down and my bag over my shoulder.

“I was punched in the face. I then saw Mr Temple had a knife.

“He held it to me at my throat and started shouting that I hadn’t delivered his bus pass. It was pretty scary thing to have happen.”

The Royal Mail worker said he was “shaken up for a while” by what happened but had managed to fight back during the incident.

He explained: “He grabbed at my mail bag and it dropped. I managed to get out the close.

“There was blood on the floor and on my fists.”

The postman denied claims from Temple’s lawyer, Robin White, that he had been the violent one and had made up his story.

When asked if he had actually attacked Temple and then lied to a colleague about being attacked with a knife, he said: “No, that’s wrong – I only hit him to get out. I was convinced he was going to kill me. That’s what you think when you are attacked with a knife.”

The jury convicted Temple of the knife attack. Sheriff James Spy ordered that he be detained under the Mental Health Act to await the outcome of a mental health tribunal. And, when Temple returned to the dock this week, Sheriff Spy ruled he was fit enough to be jailed – and locked him up for three years.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Thug pulled knife on postman

Post by meercat »

'I walked into the close with my head down and my bag over my shoulder'

As you do.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Thug pulled knife on postman

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

meercat wrote:'I walked into the close with my head down and my bag over my shoulder'

As you do.

In this case I think he is using the Scotish version of "close" as in small blocks of flats - so a bag is probably the correct equipment. https://goo.gl/maps/meXGRck75yA2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Close Noun An alleyway, a passage at the rear of houses.
The passageway leading into a tenement building. May also be referred to on the east coast as a 'closie'. http://www.firstfoot.com/dictionary/c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Thug pulled knife on postman

Post by meercat »

Yes I would think so, I have family up there so know what a close is. You would indeed get one going to the rear of terraced properties usually for coal delivery etc (which is unlikely to lead to letter boxes unless there has been a flat conversion) and another sort of close will indeed be both a straight passage to the back of a terrace plus the access to stairs located inside the close for upstairs flats. They can be dark grotty places, perfect Postie-hunting territory, glad he got away unharmed.