ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Somerton community in shock after much-loved postman Garth Linham dies in his sleep

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Somerton community in shock after much-loved postman Garth Linham dies in his sleep

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/somerton- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
Garth Linham sadly died in his sleep at home this weekend and the community has been shocked by the news of his untimely death.

Tributes have been pouring in for a much-loved Somerset postman who suddenly died at the weekend.

Garth Linham sadly died in his sleep at home and the community has been shocked by the news of his untimely death.

People in Somerton have been quick to offer their condolences to the family and have been sharing touching memories of him on social media.

His daughter, Danni Haskins, said: "We found him yesterday morning and he was fine before then. It has come as a massive shock to everybody. He would have been 58 on Wednesday.

Garth worked for the Royal Mail for about 30 years and was also a well-known figure in the darts and football community in Somerton.

Ms Haskins said: "He loved it there at Royal Mail- it was his pride and joy.

"He also loved playing darts for Somerton, which he had done for 40 years, and also spent 25 years playing football for Somerton Football Club.

"He was a really good darts player and also loved fishing and music. He loved a bit of everything really."

Image

The community has been quick to pay their tributes to Garth about how he was so warm and kind-hearted.

One of the people who was on his post round was Mike Kunz who said that he is going to be "sorely missed".

Mike said: "He was such a well-loved guy and was always smiling, laughing and joking. He is going to be sorely missed.

"He was a very good darts player and as a postman he was first class. He would always have time to stop and talk to you.

"As I am disabled he would come and bring my post in for me and check to see if I was okay. I think the whole community will be in shock."

Tributes had also been pouring in on social media with people sharing their special memories of the man who touched many lives.

Friend, neighbour and colleague Emma Cochran said: "If I could sum Garth up in one word, it would be hilarious. He was a very kind, exceptionally funny and incredibly helpful man that I had the pleasure of knowing both inside the workplace and outside of it.

"I have extremely fond memories that I will never forget and they will always make me chuckle when I look back on them.

"I will always be grateful for the help that he gave me and will miss the jokes and chats at work. RIP Garthy, you will never be forgotten. Emma xx."

Others also shared stories on how they got to know Garth and the kind of sense of humour he had.

Andy Harding said: "I can distinctively remember the first time I met you. I was 17 years old playing darts for my dad at the White Hart. You were playing for the Royal Oak, everyone was having a practice whilst the draw was being done.

"I can recall hitting a few high scores which caught your eye to which you said 'who's the cocky little s**t' someone responded saying 'that's Clive's boy'. You then looked at me and said "Christ, you look like your mother".

"I didn't really know what say so I just said "thanks". Lo and behold I end up getting drawn against you and winning 2-1 always a gracious loser brought me a pint and said "you're a good player young'un but you could be a lot better if you could count, going for a treble 20 on 119 tut tut'.

"The following year I had the pleasure of playing in the same team as you in many leagues where we won the Somerton league, Stoke League, Castle Cary league and the Street league. Many trophies won and many many memories made.

"Still the only bloke I knew that wouldn't go for a treble 20 when he had 100 left to check out. R.I.P Garth top man."

Image

Sara Dyer said: "Another light in my life has gone out. RIP Garth Linham. You were one of the kindest, silliest, stupidest, baldest men I know. Your witty banter would have me in stitches. What will I do now without you? Sleep tight xxx."

Tracey Oram wrote: "Sending lots of love and goodbye kisses to a top bloke. RIP Garth Linham, make sure you behave yourself wherever you are. I'm really going to miss your witty banter.

Tanya Baker said: "So yet another legend has been taken from us ...RIP Garth Linham, what are we going to do without you xxx."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Somerton community in shock after much-loved postman Garth Linham dies in his sleep

Post by doorstepped »

R.I.P Brother :cry
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Somerton community in shock after much-loved postman Garth Linham dies in his sleep

Post by feduppostie »

Sleep well :-(
pants123

Somerton community in shock after much-loved postman Garth Linham dies in his sleep

Post by pants123 »

How very sad.... my deepest condolences.... R.I.P..