ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postwoman Lynn Hill speaks out on warning signs of ovarian cancer

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postwoman Lynn Hill speaks out on warning signs of ovarian cancer

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/Postwoman-L ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A BRAVE former postwoman has spoken out about the warning signs for ovarian cancer in the hope that it will save lives.

Lynn Hill, 52, of Deepmore Close, Alrewas, was diagnosed with life-limiting ovarian cancer in 2012 and has joined national campaign Target Ovarian Cancer to spread awareness of the symptoms of the cancer as part of Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, which begins today.

Every day, 12 women in the UK die from ovarian cancer, and 7,000 women are diagnosed with the disease annually, but the earlier the disease is caught, the better the chances of survival.

Mrs Hill is now urging any women who begin to show any of the symptoms of ovarian cancer to go to their doctor as soon as possible.

She said: "Before I was diagnosed, I hadn't even heard of ovarian cancer, or been aware of the symptoms.

"My experience has made me determined to raise symptoms awareness. Early diagnosis can save lives and make treatment easier."

Mrs Hill explained that she knew something was wrong when she began going to the toilet very frequently on her post rounds throughout Burton, Branston and Stapenhill.

She said: "My first symptoms started when I was 46 but I didn't know they were symptoms at the time. Being a post person, you have to be careful to know where the toilets are, but I started having bowel movements eight to 10 times a day.

"I was also getting very tired but as I was doing a physical job I just put it down to the work and my age."

Mrs Hill underwent two and a half years of physiotherapy, endoscopies, and visits to urologists, before the cancer was diagnosed. Then, on one of her post rounds, her partner found her sitting on the floor struggling to breathe. A scan showed a cancerous tumour on her ovary measuring 14cm by 16cm.

She said: "Sadly it was stage three which means it has metastasised to other parts of my body, including my lymph node and my stomach. It's not a good prognosis but I hope I will see my 12-year-old son Andrew leave school."

Mrs Hill has had chemotherapy and will continue to have treatments as she requires it. She is urging women not to be embarrassed about symptoms and to get checked out. Anyone who believes they may have some of the symptoms is urged to contact their GP as soon as possible. More information is available by visiting www. targetovariancancer.org.uk/startmakingnoise
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.