http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/walney/Wa ... 589b60d-ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTMISTRESS who has greeted customers with a smile for almost 20 years received the Evening Mail's Bouquet of the Week on her last day at work.
Ingrid Guy, of Castle View, Millom, celebrated her retirement in style at Mill Lane Post Office on Walney on Wednesday when her colleagues and customers threw her a party.
Part of the surprise was Mrs Guy being presented with the Bouquet of the Week at the branch.
Speaking after the presentation, the 59-year-old said: "It was completely a surprise. They kept it very, very quiet.
"I've been here just short of 20 years. It's a bit scary because it's been like a 24-hour job in a way for all this time.
"It's been lovely. Customers have come in and out. It's lovely for them to take time out of the day to come and say thank you.
"I've had so many flowers. The post office looks like a flower shop."
Mrs Guy has worked at the Mill Lane Post Office for 19 years and has posted and stamped thousands of letters during that time.
She has yet to decide what to do during her retirement but is looking forward to spending more time with her family and travelling more.
Mrs Guy said: "I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. I have a grandson so I'm going to have him one day a week.
"I have 15 years worth of housework and gardening to catch up on."
Marianne Livesey, who is taking over the running of the post office, nominated Mrs Guy for the Bouquet of the Week, describing her as always reliable and a pillar of the Walney community.
She said: "She's a big part of the community here. I'm hoping to fill the shoes."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Walney postmistress given retirement surprise with Bouquet of the Week
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Walney postmistress given retirement surprise with Bouquet of the Week
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Walney postmistress given retirement surprise with Bouquet of the Week
"Part of the surprise was Mrs Guy being presented with the Bouquet of the Week at the branch."
Not the surprise that some of us might have hoped for but given with the best of intentions I'm sure.

Not the surprise that some of us might have hoped for but given with the best of intentions I'm sure.