ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Fan scores Derek Showers' autograph with postmen help

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Fan scores Derek Showers' autograph with postmen help

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-35322032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

A former Welsh footballer has been tracked down by postmen to help complete a fan's autograph collection.

Football fan Brent Hicks posted a letter to former Portsmouth favourite Derek Showers - despite him leaving the club more than three decades ago, and not knowing where in Wales he lived.

But within days, postmen tracked down Mr Showers' home in Merthyr Tydfil and delivered the autograph request.
Taxi driver Mr Hicks, 55, from the Isle of Wight, said he was "delighted".

Mr Hicks, who wanted the autograph for a collection of his boyhood heroes, addressed the letter: "Derek Showers (former Pompey player 1970/80s) c/o The Royal Mail, Cardiff, South Wales".

'Scored a winner'

"I used to love seeing Derek play - he had a real passion and commitment for the team," he said.

"I knew he was Welsh and had moved back to Wales when he finished playing. But I had absolutely no idea where he lived or what he was doing.

"I just decided to take a chance and send a letter hoping somebody at the Royal Mail could help.

"I thought it might be a mission impossible - but they did it."

Mr Showers, now 62, began his career with Cardiff City and played twice for Wales.

He said: "I never thought I would be signing an autograph at my time of life - but I was happy to oblige.

"The postmen who tracked me down scored a winner of their own."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.