http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14193 ... g_mission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.herefordtimes.com/resources/images/4616035.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3MOST people like to spend their holidays lay on a beach or sightseeing in some of the world's busiest cities.
But a postwoman from Hereford is going on a different type of holiday, travelling to one of the poorest areas of South Africa to help build a community centre.
Karen Friedman's love for travelling and helping others has seen her make various trips to Africa helping out at conservation projects, searching for lost cities and helping with science projects.
"I love Africa and it is my fifth trip to South Africa," said Mrs Friedman.
"I just thought it was time to go away again. I will be helping to build a community centre in one of the townships, where there will be no machinery so it will all be built with our hands.
"I could be doing anything from cementing to painting and I will be out there for just short of a month."
Karen who was been delivering mail in the city for over 20 years said she is not phased by the conditions she will face during her time volunteering.
She added: "I love my travel and there is something special about South Africa
"Townships by nature are not the most wealthy places. When I'm travelling I know I'm not going to a first world country and some people are shocked by the conditions but I have grown up seeing what these countries look like.
"While I was in Bolivia on a past volunteering trip it was 30 degrees and there was little water."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Hereford - City postwoman heading to South Africa on volunteering mission
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Hereford - City postwoman heading to South Africa on volunteering mission
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.