
Postman Graham Allen has been praised for raising the alarm and preventing a serious house fire from breaking out at a house in Manor Road, Fringford. It is understood some toast was left under the grill
QUICK-THINKING postman Graham Allen is the “toast” of a small village near Bicester after thwarting a full-blown house fire.
The 61-year-old mailman really delivered when he heard a smoke alarm going off while on his rounds in Main Road, Fringford.
He poked his nose up against a rear window and noticed smoke and a distinct burning smell coming from the kitchen.
Mr Allen immediately dialled 999 and averted a much larger incident.
Fire chiefs praised the father of three sons, but he was quick to brush off any suggestions he was a hero.
“I just did what anyone else would have done in that situation – a postman is part of the community and I thought I’d better check out what was going on,” he said.
Mr Allen – a postman for 21 years – was on his usual route around the 600-resident village at about noon on Friday last week when he heard the alarm.
“I had to go and have a look to see what was going on,” he said.
“I went round the back and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. There was no car so I put my nose up to the window and saw and smelt smoke inside.
“I rang the fire brigade and they came really quickly. They were just about to kick the door down when the fella who lives there came home and unlocked the door for them to get in. Luckily no-one was hurt.”
It is understood the fire began on a grill after some toast was left on.
Bicester resident Mr Allen said the firemen told him if he had not been vigilant and checked the property the incident could have been a lot worse.
Firefighters put out the flames and cleared the home of smoke using high-pressure fans.
Bicester crew manager Doug Whitford said: “A vigilant postman ensured the fire was able to be contained to the grill, preventing significant damage to the property. This incident demonstrates that smoke alarms, while paramount for the safety of occupants, are also valuable for alerting passers-by.”
Mr Allen said he had never experienced a situation like it and it was a postman’s instinct to “be a bit nosy” and check things out.
He added: “The man came out the day after and said thank you for what I did. I just did what anyone would have done.
“As a postman you get to know the area really well and can tell if things are out of the ordinary.”