ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Phyllis says goodbye after 31 years behind Post Office

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Phyllis says goodbye after 31 years behind Post Office

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Phyllis says goodbye after 31 years behind Post Office counter

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/phylli ... -1-6966113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
Post Office counter clerks from left, Phyllis Stacey, Barbara Tweed, Julia Grant and Valerie Jenkins

GRANDMOTHER Phyllis Stacey has sold her last stamp after 31 years with the Post Office.

She started working in Farlington in 1984 and became postmistress of the branch.

She was the finest postmistress in the town
Brian Harwood

Several years ago it was bought by Tesco and the 66-year-old has been officer in charge until her retirement yesterday.

There were emotional scenes as customers streamed in to say their goodbyes to much-loved Phyllis at her leaving party.

Asked what she’d enjoyed about her role, she said; ‘I love my job and I love the people. I love the communication I have with them.

‘It’s like a small community in here. Although we cover a big area, we still get “Mrs Bloggs” in here telling us about her leg. I always ask how everyone is and they love that and they always come back.’

She added: ‘I’ve seen whole families grow up. A little boy made his mum come in because he wanted to say goodbye to me. It’s touching to have seen all these people.’

Customers brought in presents, bouquets and lots of cakes to celebrate Phyllis’ last day.

Bridget Gerry, of Havant Road, has known Phyllis since the 1980s.

She said that what she was most impressed by was Phyllis’ ‘marvellous way with people, particularly with the elderly’.

As a result of her hard work, Mrs Gerry explained that Phyllis was given a nickname.

She said: ‘She is our Farlington sunflower. She brightens everyone’s day.’

Tearful Kate Cottee, of Grant Road, said: ‘She’s a stalwart of the community and will be missed.’

Brian Harwood, of First Avenue, said there was nobody better to run a Post Office.

He added: ‘I worked with Phyllis when she was a postmistress at a small, local Post Office. She was the finest in the town.’

Phyllis has no plans to put her feet up and instead will be working on her allotment. The Pompey fan is also looking forward to a five-week holiday in Australia with her husband Ray, when they will visit their son.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.